Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Luft Jet Sounds V1  (Read 12842 times)

Verhängnis

• Unofficial Heinkel Fan
  • Modder
Luft Jet Sounds V1
« on: October 09, 2010, 06:29:10 AM »

I hated the fact that every single jet sounded the same, so I decided to do something about it and I had a look in the SFS and found every sound relating to Jets.
I picked the ones I thought were top notch and most suitable. I started of with the HeS 011 and made it sound more "Advanced" as it was the most advanced German design.
Obviously there is no riedel starter motor on the engine to my knowledge so I have not included the sounds.

These sounds have been based of the General Electric J85 which was built in the 50's.

And AFAIK these sounds or at least some of them are unused, well until now.

Just drop it into your MODS folder and you will have the sounds on every single Aircraft that uses the HeS 011.(Ta-183, He-162 C,D, Go-229NJ.)

High Speed Fly by's(800 km/h) Sound awesome.

Credits:
Verhängnis
Sounds:
Stock IL-2

Future versions will come to include the Jumo 004,A and BMW 003 to have some variation of sounds.
Version 2 Will encompass the above mentioned engines and Version 3 will eventually add(Hopefully) new sounds for the different levels of power.
Version 2 will hopefully be done in the next 2 weeks(Maximum).

Download V1 Mediafire

Enjoy and Comment(Afterall your Feedback and opinion can only make this mod better!)  8)

Dinosbacsi

Re: Luft Jet Sounds V1
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 07:15:52 AM »

I placed it to MODS folder, but I have to original jet sound :D

flightdok74

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 09:46:29 AM »

Hi Ver......., It does not work when added to the Mods. folder, any suggestions to get it to work, i sure would like to test it....

Verhängnis

• Unofficial Heinkel Fan
  • Modder
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 08:06:43 PM »

What Mod activator or pack are you using first of all?

I've only tested this with SAS Mod Activator so you may have to try putting     _+       in front of the name to make it load first before any other sound mods you might have. ;)

Just tested on Vanilla 4.10 with SAS Mod Activator and it works.

So the issue is probably other sounds loading first.

mad_pilot

• The "Mig"- man
  • Il-2 bites back!
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 02:22:43 AM »

It also not working here. Im using the SAS mod Act for clean 4.09m
haven't tryed yet to put it to load 1st ...
edit: working fine after i put _ before the name of the folder  :)
Sounds good hehe 8)

flightdok74

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 03:48:12 PM »

Thanks Vern.... added the + sign infront of the folder and it worked fine now thanks....UP 2.1

Verhängnis

• Unofficial Heinkel Fan
  • Modder
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 06:23:09 PM »

:)

Chaoic16

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 03:07:37 PM »

I hope you people don't mind me asking, but does this work for v4.10?  The reason why I ask is because  I am having bit hard time telling which sounds are actually German jet engine or default jet engine because I am deaf.  I am using my 2.1 speaker with large sub-woofer and sound-blast card platinum champion, where I would always feel the vibrates from high bass when I tweak my sound setting.  But what I love the most about new sound mods, especially Tiger's sound pack is when I tested the sounds of engine, it was very breath-taking experiences for me!  Each engine sounded so different, especially P-38s.  Anyway, I have been wanting to find true authentic German different jet engine sounds, so I am looking forward to test this.  But before that, I need to know if this work well for v4.10 using SAS ModAct 2.5.

Chaoic out...

Verhängnis

• Unofficial Heinkel Fan
  • Modder
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 10:57:44 PM »

Yeh these work fine in 4.10, and I also noticed one of the changes in 4.10 was new startup sounds for the Jet engines, Realistic ones at that...

But however I just realised there are some things and the sound now seems to be , different in 4.10 slightly, I will have to check if they changed the prs files in the SFS...

Now I wouldn't exactly call these "Authentic", but Jet engines of the day had quite the "Roar" to them rather than a nice "Whistle at power, so while these aren't tottaly great(It is my first attempt at a sound mod, I hope to get better) they are better than the stock sounds.

If you go on youtube and listen to some General Eletric J-33's you will hear their roar rather than their whistle like in stock game. It's first run was in 1942.

And also it is probably impossible these days to aquire Authentic German Jumo and Heinkel And BMW jet engine sounds as these engines, especially the Jumo's had a service life of less than a day. Although it might be possible to find some records in American and BMW History/company archives or something...

congo

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 07:24:20 AM »

The Junkers Jumo 004 had a service life of approx 10 hrs at the beginning but with improved fuel and metallurgy this was increased to 350 TBO by the end of the war. This is probably attributed to the use of hollow buckets on the turbine rotor as opposed to solid ones. Bleed air was routed through the turbine buckets to aid with cooling and reduce warpage which greatly added to the service life of this powerplant. The J-33 is a centrifugal flow turbine which produces a slightly different note than an axial flow. The J-33 was developed from the GE I-16 series, all these used an impeller and diffuser centrifugal type compressor and were based on Frank Whittle,s design. Most of what the Germans were using had rotors and stators with axial airfow. They were for the most part based on von Ohain,s design work and theories. If my memory serves me I dont think any used variable guide vanes. At least not the 004,s. I seem to recall that one of the inlet/accessory case guide vanes housed the drives for the accessories.

Verhängnis

• Unofficial Heinkel Fan
  • Modder
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 04:37:48 PM »

The Junkers Jumo 004 had a service life of approx 10 hrs at the beginning but with improved fuel and metallurgy this was increased to 350 TBO by the end of the war. This is probably attributed to the use of hollow buckets on the turbine rotor as opposed to solid ones. Bleed air was routed through the turbine buckets to aid with cooling and reduce warpage which greatly added to the service life of this powerplant. The J-33 is a centrifugal flow turbine which produces a slightly different note than an axial flow. The J-33 was developed from the GE I-16 series, all these used an impeller and diffuser centrifugal type compressor and were based on Frank Whittle,s design. Most of what the Germans were using had rotors and stators with axial airfow. They were for the most part based on von Ohain,s design. If my memory serves me I dont think any used variable guide vanes. At least not the 004,s. I seem to recall that one of the inlet/accessory case guide vanes housed the drives for the accessories.

Wow are you like an Turbojet historian or something? :)
And 350 hours? Seems a long time considering the Germans were low on supplies of rare metals and high quality fuels, most of which would have been put into certain Aircraft construction and building Hitlers revenge weapons(V-1, V-2) among other things...

The initial 004A engines built to power the Me 262 prototypes had been built without restrictions on materials, and they used scarce raw materials such as nickel, cobalt, and molybdenum in quantities which were unacceptable in production. Franz realized that the Jumo 004 would have to be redesigned to incorporate a minimum of these strategic materials, and this was accomplished. All the hot metal parts - including the combustion chamber - were changed to mild steel protected by a thinly sprayed layer of aluminum coating, and the hollow turbine blades were produced from folded and welded Cromadur alloy (12% chromium, 18% manganese, and 70% iron) developed by Krupp, and cooled by compressed air "bled" from the compressor. The engine's operational lifespan was shortened, but on the plus side it became easier to construct.

congo

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 06:00:08 PM »

I researched these powerplants extensively during the restoration of the two 004,s in the museums 262 back in the late 70,s and early 80,s and was even fortunate enough to chat with Von Ohain when he occupied the Lindbergh Chair at the museum.

The 004A was strictly a test-bed, unsuitable for mass production due to its solid, and thus heavy, construction and considerable use of expensive high-temperature metals in the "hot section". For production, the 004B turned to air cooling instead, using hollow turbine blades made of inexpensive steel, cooled by compressed air "bled" from the compressor. The first production versions weighed 220 lb (100 kg) less than the 004A's, and in 1943 had passed several 100 hour tests.

350 TBO is not much when compared to their piston engine counterparts. Most of the exotics that the Germans used were in the hot section of the powerplant. Once they realized that they could cool with bleed air and they mastered the aluminum hot spray processes that they used on their tailpipe, bullet and burner cans they were pretty reliable though they still suffered from compressor stalls when full throttle was applied too quickly. The bullet in the tailpipe was designed to operate in conjunction with the fuel control unit to reliably control the thrust but nevertheless comp stalls were still a constant headache for this powerplant. Probably could have been reduced with the addition of variable guide vanes on the compressor stators. I should have pointed out above that von Ohains design work originally centered around centrifugal flow but once the axial flows appeared in Germany they garnered most of the research. I seem to recall that even with the exotics the solid turbine rotors on the Junkers 004,s had a tendency to grow during operation and at times they would impact the interior of the case.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 26 queries.