Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: IL-2 '41 Field Mod w/ Playable Gunner  (Read 38654 times)

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
    • UberDemon's Website
IL-2 '41 Field Mod w/ Playable Gunner
« on: September 28, 2010, 11:53:27 PM »

IL-2 Field Modification, 1941 Model MOD (with Playable Gunner Position) [V 0.8]
By UberDemon/Danzigzag

Early in the history of the IL-2 single seater Sturmovik, a weakness was noticed besides the oil pan and maneuverability (compared to most fighters):  the lack of protection in the rear area.  A field modification was soon established with a gunner position with dual 7.67mm MGs.  The problem was that the gunner himself was exposed, and easy to kill, but nevertheless the solution was welcomed by the pilots.  It is said that politically unpopular military personnel quickly found a new career as gunners in airplanes such as these.  Turnaround was of course great... it was not until factory produced two seat IL-2s came about that the gunners were given better protection and also a larger caliber 12.7mm MG.

The original series of IL-2, Forgotten Battles, Ace Extension Pack, Pacific Fighters, and 1946 always had this model included as flyable, but the gunner station was not enabled.  The extra work was simply something that the Maddox Games team simply did not have time to enable.

I've had this since 2008, but was told by Mr. Jolly (from original All Aircraft Arcade) that someone else was working on it.  It's been a few years and I did not see this released, so I decided to rework the MOD and release it to the community.

Details:
  • There are NO changes in the original IL-2 1946 release Flight Model (FM), except for me changing it to allow a second crew.  Outside of that, weapons, behavior, etc, is as intended.
  • I am no graphics artist, and I realize that the gunner station leaves a lot to be desired, to include the see-through spots... sorry for that, but if any of you 3D geniuses out there want to take a swing at it, please do so and I'll re-release this as V 1.0 giving you proper credit!  WHATABARGAIN!!!

Installation:
Code: [Select]
air.ini = [IL-2 Installation Path]\[MOD Files Folder]\com\maddox\il2\objects\air.ini
plane_ru.properties = [IL-2 Installation Path]\[MOD Files Folder]\i18n\plane_ru.properties
weapons_ru.properties = [IL-2 Installation Path]\[MOD Files Folder]\i18n \weapons_ru.properties

Add in air.ini
Il-2_1941_Late_DZZMod air.IL_2_1941Late_DZZ              NOINFO  r01   SUMMER
Add in plane_ru.properties:
Il-2_1941_Late_DZZMod   * Il-2 Fld Mod w/ Player Gunner, '41\u02DC
Add in weapons_ru.properties:

#####################################################################
# Il-2_1941_Late
#####################################################################
Il-2_1941_Late_DZZMod.default                  Default
Il-2_1941_Late_DZZMod.8xRS82                   8xRS-82
Il-2_1941_Late_DZZMod.8xBRS82                  8xBRS-82
Il-2_1941_Late_DZZMod.8xRS132                  8xRS-132
Il-2_1941_Late_DZZMod.8xBRS132                 8xBRS-132
Il-2_1941_Late_DZZMod.8xM13                    8xM-13
Il-2_1941_Late_DZZMod.216xAJ-2                 4xAJ-2 Cassette
Il-2_1941_Late_DZZMod.30xAO10                  30xAO-10
Il-2_1941_Late_DZZMod.50xAO10                  50xAO-10
Il-2_1941_Late_DZZMod.4xFAB50                  4xFAB-50
Il-2_1941_Late_DZZMod.4xFAB50_8xRS82           4xFAB-50 + 8xRS-82
Il-2_1941_Late_DZZMod.4xFAB50_8xRS132          4xFAB-50 + 8xRS-132
Il-2_1941_Late_DZZMod.6xFAB50                  6xFAB-50
Il-2_1941_Late_DZZMod.4xFAB100                 4xFAB-100
Il-2_1941_Late_DZZMod.6xFAB100                 6xFAB-100
Il-2_1941_Late_DZZMod.2xFAB250                 2xFAB-250
Il-2_1941_Late_DZZMod.2xVAP250                 2xVAP-250
Il-2_1941_Late_DZZMod.none                     Empty

• Copy PaintSchemes folder in this installation to [IL-2 Installation Path].  It will create the Skins folder for this aeroplane with the Void.bmp included.  You can copy all skins from the original Il-2 Field mod which is in the folder [IL-2 Installation Path]\PaintSchemes\Skins\Il-2_1941_Late
  • For UI add this installation as a folder in the JSGME mods folder, which is something like:  [C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\jsgmemods].  Add text as in steps above and then enable it from the JSGME program.

Credits:
  • UberDemon/Danzigzag:  Programming, Slot Creation, Gunner Station adaptation, FM editing (to allow second human player), Packaging, Documentation, Download location
  • Thanks:  Maddox Games/1C/Ubisoft for original aircraft, skin, etc., QTim for teachings, all IL-2 community all over the world, UQMG users for support through the years
  • Disclaimer:  This mod will be available as long as Maddox Games/1C/Ubisoft is OK with it.  It was not made with any cheat-enabling features. Use at your own risk. Content subject to change at any time.

Shameless Commercial:
  • UberDemon's UberQuick Mission Generator (UQMG) for IL-2 is old... but it is still works and it's free...  With exciting marketing like this, you will want to check out http://www.uberdemon.net/

Best Regards,
UberDemon

Edited by SAS~Epervier
For Rebels 4.09 !

Cockpit gunner for IL-2 1941 Late (fielmod) by Loku: https://www.mediafire.com/?2csu7jgdgtvplex
Best Regards, UberDemon/danzigzag, Get UQMG at http://www.uberdemon.net

exhausted

Re: IL-2 '41 Field Mod w/ Playable Gunner
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 11:59:46 PM »

That..... is FUCKING BAD!

Thanks sir!

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 01:12:41 AM »

AAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!  :D The Worst job ever!!??
That´s it , times are bad... I will take it!  8)
Gimme some good times in the rear seat of an IL-2 and we are off to a great adventure.
Thanks for this cool MOD good Buddy!
Most excellent !
Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

tonywizzz

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 02:04:02 AM »

Cool 8) Thanks for this.

PO_MAK_249RIP

• CMON U SPURS!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 02:39:53 AM »

Hi Uber,

If you dont intend to update UQMG ? Any chance you could open it up to allow new additions like Maps/Planes etc ??
Corsair Carbide case, Intel core i5 4690 3.5ghz with Arctic Cooler, Asus Rock H97 performance, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB DDR6, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, 256GB/500GB Crucial SSDs, Windows 10 64bit.

SAS~CirX

• R.I.P.
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • No Zips, Only Buttons
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 07:23:00 AM »

"worst job ever" :D indeed, much thanx for this cool mod!

csvousden

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 08:53:23 PM »

What do you call the folder that goes in the mod folder?

Il-2_1941_Late  ?

Il-2_1941_Late_DZZMod  ?

Thanks for the insight.

C

kirk1965

• Infinite diversities with infinite combinations
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 09:01:56 PM »

Extreme Herr :D
Thanks a lot

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
    • UberDemon's Website
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 10:08:33 PM »

What do you call the folder that goes in the mod folder?

Il-2_1941_Late  ?

Il-2_1941_Late_DZZMod  ?

Thanks for the insight.

C

If you are using a MODS folder with wrapper.dll, you can call the folder anything you want, but sure, it could be Il-2_1941_Late_DZZMod, which happens to be the same name as the Skin folder.

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
    • UberDemon's Website
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 11:00:40 PM »

Hi Uber,

If you dont intend to update UQMG ? Any chance you could open it up to allow new additions like Maps/Planes etc ??

It is not that I do not intend to update UQMG.  It is just that it takes a lot of work to update it.  The easiest thing to do is add aircraft, and that is hard enough.  With mods coming up daily, it is an impossible task.  Also I could not have written a more open utility if I tried...  UQMG could be hacked just by analyzing the files in it...  the problem is that UQMG is composed of over 5000 (five-thousand) files... most of them text configuration files, and whereas I know what they do, explaining it and trying to figure it out is not that easy.

Here is why it is difficult.  I have a complex set of spreadsheet tools which help me design the multitude of "ini" files in UQMG.

Take a look at the "C:\Program Files (x86)\UberQuickPF\ini\fb100\main" directory.  Say you want to add a plane... you would have to update:
* fd_Aircraft.ini (the meat and potato)
* fd_ComboAircraft.ini (for composite flights such as the He-111Z-1 towing a Me-321 Gigant)
*fd_DogfightNames.ini & fd_DogfightNamesFly.ini, which are basically the same after IL-2 began to be modded (before this,  yours truly, discovered that in DF mode one could fly the AI planes from the outside with a utility I wrote, or by following a series of steps... when I released that utility I was expelled from two or three countries, was persecuted by several online flight gangs, was banned from the uninteresting website of at least three or four obnoxious people, and was sentenced to a naughty slap on the hand by the pseudo self-created IL-2 protection police... all this after Oleg told me himself that he had no problems with it as long as people did not expect him to support that feature... sorry I get emotional :D ... anyway, UQMG could allow or prohibit that feature.. now that feature is mute)
* fd_noseart.ini (to indicate which planes take noseart)
* fd_Skins.ini (to indicate Skin directory name)
* fd_Weapons.ini (this is the obnoxious one... gotta have the code for all weapon loads...)
* fd_SpecialWeapons.ini (for the weapon load of composite flights, such as Aces and Tug/Gliders)
You also have to update a few files in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\UberQuickPF\ini\fb100\main\database" directory:
* airDB.ini (definitions for the database... open it up and you will get an unpleasant surprise... it is very non-descriptive).
* airStatDB.ini (for simple data about the planes)
* airStatic.ini (because a static plane needs to be assigned to every airplane even if it does not exist, otherwise the ground editor gets frustrated...)
* and there is also a pictures directory which is for pics of the planes, although when I updated UQMG last year with a bunch of mods from AAA, I did not include pics.

This is just the planes.  Another challenge is that I need to know the weapon codes for each plane.  Whereas if every modder included the codes in weapons_ru.properties, it would be a little easier, many of the modders do not, which means I would have to either go through the FMB and find out in the Mis file for every combination of a plane (think how much time that would take with something like the Skyraider would take...), or, I would have to decompile the modder's files to get the weapon text codes from their source code.

This is just the planes... if you want to update ground objects, regiments, etc, it is all the more work...

For maps, the templates are very complex... magnitudes more complex than QMB, (even QMB PRO).  That is why in UQMG you can automatically select seaplanes, composite flights in any map, as well as carriers in any body of water.  Whereas QMB and variations are mission BUILDERs, UQMG is a mission Generator... it takes various pieces of data to build a fairly complex mission if you choose, as opposed to QMB, which takes one mission and substitute values in one template (as in one mission file for a None, or Airbase, or Bridge, etc...).  I actually wrote the Online Summer Gulf template for Oleg (at his request) but it was never released one of the Forgotten Battles updates.  The process of writing a descent map template for UQMG is a multiple day project, just for a single robust template.

I have always wanted to change how UQMG works, but it is very complex to do so.

So will I update it?  Yes... just don't know when.

In the meantime, you can always generate a mission and then change the plane using Mission Pro... not the same of course, but can be done...  I may create a thread on how to do all this as time permits.

Best Regards,
UberDemon

woofiedog

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 01:49:48 AM »

Thank's for the mod and will be looking forward for a UQMG update when the time is available.  :)

PO_MAK_249RIP

• CMON U SPURS!
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 07:05:20 AM »

WOW! Sorry Uber would never have asked if i'd realised the work involved !!

Hadnt heard from you for so long I thought you may have abandoned it - i'll be keeping an eye out for an update from now on.

Mick
Corsair Carbide case, Intel core i5 4690 3.5ghz with Arctic Cooler, Asus Rock H97 performance, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB DDR6, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, 256GB/500GB Crucial SSDs, Windows 10 64bit.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 27 queries.