Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Cape Gloucester Map  (Read 26976 times)

duffys tavern

Re: Cape Gloucester Map
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 08:38:56 AM »

Universal Static.ini Checker
https://www.mediafire.com/?ytwnkhqlhnk

Static.ini Checkers says I need this:
buildings.House$jetty1
Any ideas where I can find this? Any help appreciated. Thanx in advance.

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 09:22:16 AM »

Static.ini Checkers says I need this:
buildings.House$jetty1
Any ideas where I can find this? Any help appreciated. Thanx in advance.

It is part of Cannon's Channel Map Objects.

You download an abbreviated version of the objects here:

https://www.mediafire.com/?dyyjnkg1hoy

WhamO

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 01:17:39 PM »

They were so secret that even now, 70 years after the war, they are still shrouded in mystery ... ha ha

Seriously though, if anyone has any info, feel free to share or even do a bit of editing on the map itself. The more input from members the better a map can get.

i'm not sure if you used this for the map or not. It has quite a few airfields, some with coordinates & some with google earth views.
http://www.pacificwrecks.com/airfields/png/

duffys tavern

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 05:35:41 PM »

It is part of Cannon's Channel Map Objects.

You download an abbreviated version of the objects here:

https://www.mediafire.com/?dyyjnkg1hoy

Worked! Thanx a bunch! Great map.

farang65

• never two weeks two decades
  • SAS Team
  • Fortress Formosa
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 05:46:33 PM »

Are you back home  ;D

If so I hope your well and truly rested  8)

Great surprise from you this map of yours

Keen to see if Manam Island is on the map I think in this region.

Thanks again Agracier

Cheers Kirby

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 05:54:17 PM »

And on other maps in progress, there was one where the width of the rivers really bothered me. So much so that after fiddling around with the river/canal objects, I figured it best to leave the rivers off altogether in certain areas, especially if they are all going to look like wide flowing northern European rivers, instead of narrow winding streams or creeks.

I wonder if anyone has had any experience using the river/canal objects? They are a great idea, but it's a pain trying to get them to follow the lowest part of a given terrain ... they don't look so good when they flow uphill and dale and down again ...

I think I checked them out briefly and didn't use them. I have some tiles where I cut and paste some canals from a Google Earth tile onto a Romania tile, but these were supposed to be a drainage canal system and they didn't have to go anywhere in particular. The terrain was pretty flat as well, which helped.

SAS~Skipper

• .. geese fly ...
  • SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 01:06:32 AM »

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 10:23:27 AM »

I wonder if anyone has had any experience using the river/canal objects?

agracier, which river/canal objects are you referring to here, mate?
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 10:42:38 AM »

agracier, which river/canal objects are you referring to here, mate?

In the map-maker, there is a section of objects titled 'Title CatPlate'.

While going through the objects a few days ago when populating a map, I chanced upon these. They are objects that are meant to stand in for rivers and canals. What is good about them is that the rivers and canal objects are much narrower than the game generated rivers and therefore much more realistic. There are for instance a few river objects that are very very narrow and give good simulations of a creek or arroyo.

The canal objects are also a good idea. They are straight as canals should be and also not too wide. The downside of the canal objects is their color: a very odd looking khaki-greenish color.

But the main drawback to using these river/canal objects is that they require flat terrain, otherwise you will see parts of them floating above ground. And several river objects are very long - a good idea in principle - but that makes it even harder to place them since seldom is the terrain flat enough to use them correctly.

I tried the canal objects out on a map I'm busy with, but the coloring was way too off and it was a big headache trying to find terrain flat enough.

But these objects are a good idea though.

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 11:25:54 AM »

oh yes, i know them....i think i actually used a few of them on a version of my Coral Islands map, having a thin riverstream cutting through the mountain...it actually looked quitre good, iirc....
thanks for the reminder... :D....oh ya, pretty sure they were done by fabianfred, but i might be wrong... ;)
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

farang65

• never two weeks two decades
  • SAS Team
  • Fortress Formosa
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 05:52:21 PM »

Hi Malone

Yes definitely done by Fabian Fred I know his work well.  ;D :D

Hi agracier the off coloured canals your referring to were originally made to represent Bangkok's klongs on Fabian Fred's Thailand map.

The rivers are a good idea but if the colour is off on them a bit too I believe they were made for the Thailand and Burma maps by Fabian Fred.

If anyone needs these objects and static.ini entries I'll upload a FFB Objects file to mediafire.

cheers Kirby

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 12:23:16 AM »

Hi agracier the off coloured canals your referring to were originally made to represent Bangkok's klongs on Fabian Fred's Thailand map.
The rivers are a good idea but if the colour is off on them a bit too I believe they were made for the Thailand and Burma maps by Fabian Fred.
If anyone needs these objects and static.ini entries I'll upload a FFB Objects file to mediafire.

It's a good idea to upload the objects and static.ini entries. These are the sort of objects that are otherwise hard to find on the forums.

On the other map in progress (no tattling yet about the location) I'm still not sure which way to go, river objects or not. They would be useful to represent small streams, but then again these streams do not have much effect on neither the ground fighting nor on air operations. They would be for aesthetic purposes only.

A repaint of the canal objects would however maybe be useful for future projects, say into a more normal looking blueish water color.

On the map in progress I made canals with game generated water and they are OK when it comes to looking straight and man-made. But they really are too wide. It looks like the Suez Canal instead of an 18th century water irrigation supply. But it's important for the area and military operations, so in it goes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 26 queries.