Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Korean War Thunderjet Campaign: "Mud Movers"!  (Read 16310 times)

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
New Korean War Thunderjet Campaign: "Mud Movers"!
« on: September 04, 2010, 05:29:31 AM »

Finally my very first Korea War campaign is ready to download. I've built it because Flakiten has made such a FABULOUS Thunderjet for us all us in the IL2 community to enjoy. (And I've also added his HRS-3 to it, being the first helicopter ever made for Il-2!) This campaign is hereby dedicated to him, with thanks, and admiration. The campaign is called MUD MOVERS:

It is a semi-historical, 10-mission static campaign, set during the second half of 1952. You are USAF Pilot in the 58th Fighter Bomber Wing, 9th FBS, flying the F-84 Thunderjet, an aircraft outclassed as a fighter by the new enemy MiG-15, but a very potent ground attack aircraft. Your unit is based at the K-2 Air Base, later known as Taegu Air Base, in South Korea. Fighter-bomber units like the 9th FBS provided close air support for United Nations ground forces, often flying deep into enemy territory targeting airfields, railways, enemy positions, bridges, vehicles, etc.

mud movers.wmv

You can DOWNLOAD IT HERE: http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads3&file=details&id=731

It is important that you choose the rank of "Major" (or even above). This means that you automatically will be the flight commander. Not only will it give you the option to alter the armament carried, but even more importantly it means that you can order your flight to break off attacks on ground targets (preferably when the mission is accomplished) and return to base. The importance of this is that limitations in the game engine AI will mean that otherwise your flight members will for the most time linger needlessly over the target and eventually be either shot down or crash into the ground.

Included in this campaign is 19 skins, made by the following skinners: Harpia_Mafra55, Flakiten, Bo_Nidle, Highlander_262, Max-the Hitman, DCS, =US=Grant and vp_media. Thanks guys for your work! Without skinners no campaigns! They can be installed more or less AUTOMATICALLY in the right folders, without any hassle!

When Flakiten also gave us the Sikorsky HRS-3 I couldn't resist myself, so I've included it in the campaign, strictly AI but nonetheless. So you need the HRS-3 to play it. The rest comes automatically in in Ultrapack or HSFX.

The missions are all variations on the ground attack theme: you will attack enemy emplacements and bunkers, artillery, tanks and truck convoys, bridges and harbours and other strategic locations. You will fly in all types of weather, you will even fly one mission at night, hunting for enemy supply columns and perhaps stumble into a North Korean "Bedcheck Charlie": jets against biplanes...

At the same time the war rages, so you will be able to see other US jet aircraft in action, not least F-86 Sabre's, who will fly protection missions for you most of the time, to prevent those dangerous MiG-15's from getting to you.

The following people have playtested this campaign, and all gave me constructive criticism and important advice on how to improve this thing: JackS (who also shared his personal experience of flying US combat jets), Bwf, Mercenary Muffin, Scylla, Fishingnut and II_JG11/Rudorffer. Thanks guys!

Also included in the download is a new US background tga, and new US menu music, both more fitting for the Korea War era, but of course completely optional to use!

Again: this is where you can DOWNLOAD it: http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads3&file=details&id=731

Thanks for looking!  ;D

You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

SAS~Howlin

• Goat herder
Re: New Korean War Thunderjet Campaign: "Mud Movers"!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 05:35:55 AM »

oh thats fecking awesome, well done bud, well done.

jt189

• Retired Warrior
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 06:23:56 AM »

I am going to dl this campaign of yours got a few others of yours and enjoyed them and from what I can see from the pictures this is going to be a good one too. Thanks

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 06:52:44 AM »

Thanks for the appreciation, but our real heroes are of course the guys who builds the new aircraft and the new maps, without which none of this would be possible.  :D

Still, it says a lot for the versatility of this wonderful game Oleg made, that it is quite possible to do jet combat in it, as well as biplane dogfights. In fact, jet campaigns are a LOT different to play than, say, 30-ies biplanes campaigns - of course. For me it turned out quite a pleasant surprise, and I'm now looking into the possibility of making another Korea Campaign: a F-80 campaign that takes place during the months BEFORE the MiG-15 made its debut in November 1950, and changed the whole ball game.

BTW: it looks like the new buttons file has toned down the MiG-15 a bit, and the AI dog fights aren't that one-sided anymore.
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

Flamer50

• 'Tracers work both ways.'
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 09:46:50 AM »

Downloading now, will be flying it this weekend :), Thanks Very Much! 8)
'The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.'

NS~mati140

• #27 of the New Squadron (NS)
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 08:01:43 AM »

Hi, I'm using UP 2.01 and I can't load the campaign at all. Intro crashes at 90%, and when I load mission, on 90% too, it shows "3do\...bla,bla,bla...\paratroopers\mono.sim not created" or sth like this and crashes. I'm using the newest buttons and the newest version of Flak's HRS-3. Help.

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 08:19:08 AM »

It's map related, AFAIK. The "Mission loading failed: Mesh 3do/humans/paratroopers/russia/mono.sim not created” bla bla bla normally means that you must enable compression in your game to load the map in question. To do that open the config.ini file in your game's main folder using Wordpad. Look for [Render_OpenGl] and under that find "TexCompress=". Set the value to read "TexCompress=2" save the changes and exit. This sets your graphics card's texture compression to S3CT, which should enable the map to run without errors. This should do the trick in most cases, but if this error persists, it might mean that your computer has insufficient video RAM - it can be solved by going from a 512MB to 1GB video card.

I've seen this problem before on Canons Channel map. And KTO is a very big and demanding map as well.

NS~mati140

• #27 of the New Squadron (NS)
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 01:01:23 PM »

Well, the point is that I already have TexCompress=2, 1GB graphic card and other missions i play on this map work without any problem.

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 01:34:34 PM »

Then I'm clueless. It's built in HSFX, but the maps, objects etc are the same. And, as I understand, this particular error message IS map related.  :o

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 01:15:09 AM »

A wild idea: if you have the latest version of Ultrapack it means that you have HSFX too. Use the switcher and turn on HSFX, then try the campaign!

farang65

• never two weeks two decades
  • SAS Team
  • Fortress Formosa
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 02:43:06 AM »

Hi Poltava,

Great Campaign you always seem to come up with the goods using so many different aircraft   :P

I'll through a couple of surprises your way in a few weeks.

Hopefully you can make a couple of campaigns out of them

Once again nice job  ;D

Cheers Kirby

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 03:26:14 AM »

Kirby! Really looking forward to it!  :P
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 27 queries.