Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: FaceTrackNOIR: facetracking without headset new 1.7.2 version released!!!! look  (Read 176562 times)

warhawk

Re: facetracking without headset
« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2010, 09:04:20 AM »

... or maybe, I'm just doing it wrong. What is the procedure: start IL2, then facetrack or reverse?

SAS~HolyGrail

• Modder f*ck*r =)
  • SAS Team
  • A little mod in the making !
« Reply #133 on: November 30, 2010, 09:09:15 AM »

Start the facetrack , make sure you have green FPS in face window ( posted pictures earlier page 4 )
then just " minimize " facetrack window in to task manager and then starting IL-2  8)
Dignified silence is worth more than a thousand insults...

V4Friend

• FaceTrackNoIR
« Reply #134 on: November 30, 2010, 01:04:38 PM »

Thanks V4Friend (I hoped you would respond),

Why is there a reference to D:\perforce\winprod\b....... when there's nothing in the DVD drive? Should I try removing and re-installing DirectX 9c and test again?

Many Thanks.
Hello karla,

That's really a tough nut to crack, I guess. Only thing I can find on this issue is a post from flashleitz on the bistudio forum: he has the same problem on a W7 64-bit system. Looks like it's not specific W7 after all  :(

The logs you post obviously point to a faceAPI-problem, in relation with DirectX. I think this reference to D:\perforce\ comes from deep within the faceAPI-stuff. I just read that perforce is some kind of versioning tool (like subversion?).

A while ago I tried to contact SeeingMachines, but they don't answer my hails. It's probably because I'm using the non-commercial version  >:(  Sad kind of support...

I would recommend you to remove all DirectX software and to reinstall the latest version. Hope that helps?

Eexhaton

• Ancient Entity
  • Modder
  • Bukakke Blitzkrieg!
« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2010, 07:42:17 AM »

@Warhawk: try HG`s solution, it is a bit of hit & miss often. :)                                                 

@Karla: if all fails, try to obtain a cam that is guaranteed to work - I cannot check if yours is. You can find a list on the FTnoIR site.       :)

karla

• Modder
« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2010, 09:01:46 AM »

Thanks for your time V4Friend.

I didn't realise how much DirectX is bolted-on to Vista and not designed to install and un-install easily - in fact some advice says don't try it. So, I'll leave my current set-up as Vista SP2 32 bit and DirectX 10 and wait a while and see how SeeingMachines and FaceTrack develop. Thanks.

Pursuivant

« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2010, 02:10:53 PM »

I bought an inexpensive webcam a week ago to try this out and started playing with it yesterday. My experience so far is that it's potentially very useful, but still buggy.

The facetrack application refuses to recognize my face if there is strong backlighting or light from the side. I have to pull down the window blinds when playing during the day with the windows open. At times, the program will pull up to 50% of my CPU power attempting to recognize my face and spend 10-20 minutes doing so before I finally give up and restart it.

On the other hand, it does a fine job of recognizing my face from the light of the computer monitor plus a single 100 watt lightbulb 15 feet away across the room. In low light with direct front lighting of the face and no backlighting, it recognizes my face in just a few seconds.

Unless light is even across my face, however, it will sometimes register my glasses as my eyes. In one case, it locked onto one lens of my glasses as my face! I also think that glare from my glasses might make it occasionally lose tracking ability. So, for glasses wearers, eyebrow and lip tracking would be more useful.

Once I get the program to recognize my face, doesn't work that well in IL2. For some reason, the head tracker thinks that I want to stare at my crotch! Whatever I do, it seems to want to track down to look at the cockpit seat. Trying to get it to track upwards to see above me is very difficult. I have to hold my head at an odd angle to keep the face tracker steady. I've yet to get the tracker to let me to a smooth pan from 12 o'clock high to above, or a smooth pan from 4 o'clock high to 10 o'clock high.

I'm still learning to use the program to pan to the left and right in combat without the program losing my face and having to recalibrate. I find the utter lack of documentation frustrating, since I don't know what some of the functions do.

Sometimes, I find that I have to do a quick "shoulder check" to deliberately lose face tracking so that I can quickly return to forward view.

I'd also love to see a function which allows you to "zero" or "tare" the face tracker along all axes, or just one of them. For some reason, the tracker seems to think that I'm constantly off-center and there's nothing I can do to get it centered at 0,0,0.

I'd also like to see a function which allows you to quickly turn off face tracking in the game, or override it, without losing the face tracking function. That way, your view in the cockpit doesn't change when your turn your head in real life to look at something other than the computer screen.

There's also a simple bug where you have to deselect the option for the face-view widget in order for it to appear when the program is opened.

My opinion is that FaceTrack NoIR is a qualified success. With more development, it will render IR tracking obsolete, but it's still buggy.

JimmyBlonde

« Reply #138 on: December 04, 2010, 09:21:12 PM »

I have tried this software and found that in limited light conditions it was still able to track my face.

The issue I had with using it was that the panning and scanning was simply too slow of Il-2 and I found it almost impossible to stabalise on the gunsight.

I fiddled with the settings and marginally improved the response on my screen but found it just not sensetive enough to be useful.

This could be the result of my lack of understanding of the software however, I basically moved every slider in the options to the maximum setting and found that it was still too slow.

I hope this feedback helps as I was very excited about this proigram when I heard about it and will be keeping an eye on future developments.

Eexhaton

• Ancient Entity
  • Modder
  • Bukakke Blitzkrieg!
« Reply #139 on: December 05, 2010, 03:30:47 PM »

Performance varies per computer and per webcam :)

On my old and (now/currently broken) slow laptop it could track even with very low light conditions using a Logitech C120.

I also wear glasses and they do not pose a problem. ;)

FTNoIR is still quite crash-prone however, alot of hit & miss as said.
@ Pursuivant: The "Zero" function should be in FTNoIR aswell as the possibility to hot-key a quick disable-without-losing-track function and the possibility to re-center the view to default by hotkey.

Pursuivant

« Reply #140 on: December 06, 2010, 04:52:10 AM »

FWIW, I have a HP Webcam 2100 and a HP Pavillion computer with twin Athlon II X2 250 CPU. Far from top of the line, but not exactly obsolete either.

I think that some of my problems with FaceTrack NoIR are due to my limited understanding of the program. I've also got terribly poor frame rates, which are contributing to my problems. Once I get it configured right, it should be a lot less frustrating to use.

@Eexhaton: I don't find that my glasses are a problem either - it's just that sometimes the program will read the eyepieces or frames of my glasses as my "eyes." Functionally, this isn't a problem.

V4Friend

• FaceTrackNoIR
« Reply #141 on: December 07, 2010, 12:56:48 AM »

FWIW, I have a HP Webcam 2100 and a HP Pavillion computer with twin Athlon II X2 250 CPU. Far from top of the line, but not exactly obsolete either.

I think that some of my problems with FaceTrack NoIR are due to my limited understanding of the program. I've also got terribly poor frame rates, which are contributing to my problems. Once I get it configured right, it should be a lot less frustrating to use.

@Eexhaton: I don't find that my glasses are a problem either - it's just that sometimes the program will read the eyepieces or frames of my glasses as my "eyes." Functionally, this isn't a problem.
Hello Pursuivant,

Thanks for your extensive feedback. Have you read this: http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/manual/manual.htm?

The problems with the tracker not finding your face are typically faceAPI-things: I can't change the program to fix that. Have to tried disabling the auto-exposure on your web-cam? I usually sit next to a window too and tracking works fine then. But, when the sun shines I can't see anything on my screen anyway, so I shut the curtains...

Have you checked 'over-all' CPU usage when you fly IL2 with FaceTrackNoIR? The faceAPI is quite CPU-demanding and I guess IL2 is too?!

Geronimo989

« Reply #142 on: December 15, 2010, 02:46:52 PM »

I see lots of potential in this program, and I tried it with arma 2 (as it requires no addons). Unfortunately it isnt playable. I must have configured something wrong? The framerate on the little preview camera in the program is far worse than on my camera test program and I think that is the main problem. Do you have any way of improving the framerate?
EDIT: I also have problems with CENTER and START shortcuts not working.

V4Friend

• FaceTrackNoIR
« Reply #143 on: December 16, 2010, 12:38:23 AM »

I see lots of potential in this program, and I tried it with arma 2 (as it requires no addons). Unfortunately it isnt playable. I must have configured something wrong? The framerate on the little preview camera in the program is far worse than on my camera test program and I think that is the main problem. Do you have any way of improving the framerate?
EDIT: I also have problems with CENTER and START shortcuts not working.
Hello Geronimo989,

Unfortunately faceAPI (well, the non-commercial version) does not let you select the framerate, resolution or other web-cam settings. There are others things that badly influence framerate. Try to get 'even' lighting, by placing a light above and behind your monitor. It does not have to shine directly in your face...
It can also help to plug into another USB-port and try to disable programs (like Skype) that may use the camera.

The CENTER and START keys are not working. I guess you have tried several keys? Someone reported that it may be necessary to run the program as Administrator, to get the keys working?! Do you have a standard US-keyboard?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 32   Go Up

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 24 queries.