Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NORTH VIETNAM - Geschirr Redux  (Read 904 times)

Geschirr

• "A plan is a list of things that won't happen."
NORTH VIETNAM - Geschirr Redux
« on: May 05, 2024, 10:22:46 AM »

I am almost done with this Vietnam Map, 5 years in the remaking... oh my god 5 years... what have I done with my life?

Original post with screenshots:  https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,66534.0.html

I have remade every single town/village/airfield/city/port... etc.  No objects from the original map by BB in 2010 are left aside from some of the roads and rails.
I deleted the almost 10,000 objects that were haphazardly thrown around the map in a copy paste format to replacing them with over 10,000 objects, sometimes copy pasted for the sake of sanity, but matching the terrain/textures/environment.

I have spent DAYS deleting/fixing roads so they go around mountains, not over, and fixing the weird artifacts left over.
I have not messed around with the rail system too much and don't care about it.

I have added new textures (taken from other maps by more talented people) and trees to break up the landscape to create the feeling of randomness.

I would like to finally release this in a couple months, but I'd like some help.

Enjoy the map, but keep an eye out for anything "weird" or out of place objects/trees/roads and let me know.  I have played so many content creator maps that are fantastic, and *sigh* when I see some of these artifacts.  Please post a screen shot and let me know the general location.

NOTE: Airfields are not to scale.  The map is a lot smaller than actual South East Asia.

Link Posted 5 May 2024:  https://www.mediafire.com/file/dw04zzb68ue5rke/NORTH+VIETNAM+GESCHIRR.zip/file
Works on BAT 4.1.1 up to BAT 4.2.2 Hot Fix 4. Any other versions of IL-2 probably won't work.

Thanks!

What I am looking to fix.

Random triangles and the square hatched artifact.  I have fixed hundreds of these things, but I doubt I found them all.
NOTE:  Triangles at intersections are okay, that is the only way I can make intersections of three or more roads work.

Repetitive landscapes.  I solve this by just randomly drawing trees to cover up the obvious spots to create some randomness.

Missing roads not connecting.

I also added info to each Air Base on the correct Tail Codes used by USAF aircraft.  Does it clutter the map and make it hard to read?

"If we don't know what we're doing, neither will the enemy."

Geschirr

Re: NORTH VIETNAM - Geschirr Redux
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2024, 10:23:28 AM »

Things to Fix!

Change Thai Air Bases to accurate names (theOden) Fixed
Road connections  (theOden)
Road around mountains  (theOden)
Accurate North Vietnamese Air Bases  (theOden) Fixed
Add Chu Lai USMC base South Vietnam (theOden)
Coastal Trees (Dimlee) Fixed
Halong Bay islands (Dimlee)  Islands too small, limitations of height editor
Haiphong River Port (Dimlee)
  River too narrow to matter.

Things beyond my control.  I've tried to fix or add somethings, but bricked the map three times fortunately I only had to rebuild Korat twice... from scratch.
Red River not red
Haiphong River port (river too narrow)
Saigon Port (river too narrow)

Geschirr

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2024, 10:24:34 AM »

Some screenshots of North Vietnam, Cambodia, Hainan Island, and Laos.  All the bases in Thailand and South Vietnam are done as well. ENJOY!

Geschirr

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2024, 10:33:22 AM »

Bases in Thailand and South Vietnam.

Cycle

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2024, 06:45:39 PM »

Wow, the Airfields looks impressive, really massive!
"Lenin sagte einmal, der ungebildete Mensch stehe außerhalb der Politik. Heute aber haben wir ein gebildetes Volk. Wie wir in den letzten Jahren handelten, bedeutete, es aus der Politik herauszuhalten. Das ist eine Mißachtung des Volkes. Das ist eine Art Elitedenken." Michail Gorbatschow

Dimlee

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2024, 10:25:22 AM »

Geschirr,
I salute your work and your dedication.
I can download the map and contribute to the bug-fixing in about a week.

By the way, what is the scale compared to the real map?

Geschirr

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2024, 08:03:46 PM »

Thanks Cycle and Dimlee!

I don't know the scale, but I would say it's between probably 1/3 the actual size of South East Asia.
I don't have any mathematical, topographical, geographical, or scientific formulas to back up that claim.
From a playability factor I guess that makes it good.  Instead of flying an hour and a half from Korat to even reach North Vietnam it only takes like 20ish minutes.

theOden

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2024, 02:43:04 AM »

Really appreciate the effort, will put some hours into finding issues.
Regarding airfield names I personally would prefer leaving out the Wing part but maybe "Korat RTAFB" relating to above shown example.

Added a number of spots in attached mis file:
https://we.tl/t-K4O1ESglQC

Geschirr

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2024, 07:27:46 PM »

Holy moly!  Thanks Oden, I don't think I would have ever come up with your ingenious method of throwing down a vehicle and seeing how it tracked the road, really smart.  Thanks for the identifiable messages.  I was surprised how well I managed to connect Thailand, but my version of quality control was severely lacking.  Those roads going over and along the sides of mountains were left over from the previous creator.  I'll have to find a weekend to get this all sorted out.  Thanks again!
The Wings being part of the title from the original 2010 map.  I'll go about changing them to be accurate since they were Thai bases being used the US.

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2024, 09:41:47 PM »

Wow!
Best Regards, UberDemon/danzigzag, Get UQMG at SAS BAT Mission area.  www.uberdemon.net no longer exists.

Marius Val

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2024, 07:56:21 AM »

Looks stunnig! 

Dimlee

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2024, 01:44:40 PM »

I started with the "survey" flights over the coast, at altitudes of 500 m and 4,000 m. My main concern was forests and towns in the water that sometimes are found on other maps.
So far, I have seen only two:
1. AP25 low centre, just near Vinh airfield, two (or three?) groups of trees.

2. AX33 low right - a line of trees extending from the coast to the sea.

More screenshots:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ev6q5t21is5i2aj/trees-sea-VN_map.zip/file

No other issues in the coastal zone. The landscape is probably one of the best in the IL2 1946 universe.
The airfields are seen from the distance and they are so well built, it's a pleasure just to sit on the tarmac and look around.
The coastline looks great. Cam Ranh base is amazing, I know it will be my favourite.  8)

Just a bit of nitpicking, (sorry! - from someone who visited that country many times)...
- Red River is not red. :P
- Haiphong port in that period was up the river near the centre of the city. The port on the map (AS20 upper left) is a new one.
- Halong Bay islands are almost flat.
- no port in Saigon (but the map title is North so probably justified)
Don't get me wrong, this is an observation, not a criticism. And should not be a problem for most players, I'm sure.

Very, very good map.

I'll do some more test flights (or Jeep rides) in the areas around the airfields and then in some other spots. The route to Hanoi over the Thud Ridge is interesting to check.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 21 queries.