Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: IMF Converter  (Read 1671 times)

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
Re: IMF Converter
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2024, 03:41:41 AM »

1.3 runtime dropped locally, ahh, mmh, so I need to install it, correct?
No, the idea is not to install any outdated Java Runtime at all.
Instead, if you need 1.3 somewhere, just take that "java" folder and copy it to wherever you need it, and run java.exe by manually calling the full qualified pathname to that locally copied folder.
I.e. not just run "java.exe" but "C:\IL2\<my fancy Java 1.3 runtime folder, e.g. 'Java 1.3 local Work Folder'\java\bin\java.exe" instead.

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Frankiek

• SAS Team
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2024, 03:47:58 AM »

Just to let you know that yesterday i had the first problem using one of the converted imf files in game. The error message from the log (unfortunately i forgot to save it) was telling me that it was not possible to use a tga 128x128x32 without alpha channel. The file in question is the cable2.tga from the hawk75A3 pit extracted from the stock sfs. I will try to replicate the error and post the log. In any case the error was very similar to the error posted yesterday by ssn637 the difference is that i used the tga directly as converted by the tool without any manipulation.

Knochenlutscher

• Flying Ass Clown #10
  • Modder
  • aka Segfej
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2024, 03:51:48 AM »

Okay, will do a small Read Me, to not forget.

Thanks for Help.
That's a dry topic.

Tobi
Wiseman : "Did you speak the exact words?" Ash : "Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah."

ssn637

• Men mean more than guns in the rating of a ship
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2024, 07:28:41 AM »

Just to let you know that yesterday i had the first problem using one of the converted imf files in game. The error message from the log (unfortunately i forgot to save it) was telling me that it was not possible to use a tga 128x128x32 without alpha channel. The file in question is the cable2.tga from the hawk75A3 pit extracted from the stock sfs. I will try to replicate the error and post the log. In any case the error was very similar to the error posted yesterday by ssn637 the difference is that i used the tga directly as converted by the tool without any manipulation.

Yes, I found that after converting the original .tga files from my IL-2 1946 4.12.2M extract, I needed to follow the instructions Mike provided after opening them in PhotoShop, even if they hadn't been resized. 

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2024, 07:33:31 AM »

it was not possible to use a tga 128x128x32 without alpha channel
Yes that's a bug.
I'll update the tool throughout the weekend.

]cheers[
Mike

Frankiek

• SAS Team
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2024, 10:11:07 AM »

in any case I was really surprised by the quality of some stock textures it was not apparent when converted using the good old IMF Viewer. 

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2024, 11:50:57 AM »

A few steps in GIMP (like removing Alpha/Damage channel) and you can turn that TGA into a BMP skin.
Didn't know BMPs are a thing for a skinner.
If this helps, I could add a straight conversion to BMP to the tool as well.
Just in case: BMPs can ship with or without alpha channel (32/24 bit). Would it make sense to keep the alpha channel (if there is any), or should it be removed, or should this be selectable?
Sorry for asking so many questions, but I ain't no skinner so I simply don't know.
The reason for me to create this tool was rather a 3D modding process issue than a skinning one ;)

]cheers[
Mike

Mike,

I am no skinner that is for sure.  I just like to go through some of the older versions of IL-2 and extract the old default skins... at times.  And your tool makes that process easier, so my primary use is taking the TGB files and convert them to TGAs.  Before I had to use the IMF Viewer, and it took time to convert the files, like sometimes a minute+.  Your app seems to speed through the process.

But before I can use the file as a BMP skin, I need to remove the Alpha channel otherwise the bullet holes come with it, which may not be the intended result.  So to answer on the Alpha channel, my answer tends to always be... if there is a way to be selectable, that is a better choice because some users may want it, again if it is possible.  I would probably vote for removing Alpha Channel as a Default, and let user enable it if they want it.

For anyone interested, after doing some research in the Interwebs, these are the steps I use in GIMP to turn the converted TGB (to TGA) to a usable BMP skin:

* Convert "tgb" file to "tga" format using Mike's new IMF Converter tool
* Rename file (often "skin1o.tgb") to whatever you want, with a "tga" instead of "tgb" extension...
* Open Converted TGA in GIMP (2.10.34)
-- Menu->Colors->Components->Decompose->Color model: RGB->OK (This get rid of Alpha Layer / Damage)
-- Menu->Colors->Components->Compose->Color Mode: RGB->OK
-- Menu->Image->Mode->Indexed->Generate number of colors (Pick 256)->Convert
-- Menu->File->Export As->Name File and add ".bmp" as extension->Export->Under Compatibility Options select "Do not write color space information" (THIS IS SUPER IMPORTANT)->Export

* Now place the bmp in correct directory:  Something like "[BAT Installation Directory]\PaintSchemes\Skins\Bf-109E-4" (or other Plane)

Viola!

Demon,
In case no one has addressed this: A .tgb is simply a .tga with a different extension. I've always just altered the extension. And as to the alpha channel, in Photoshop I simply delete that channel. Before that I found that using IrfanView to save a file having an alpha channel would have the alpha channel absent.  ;)
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2024, 11:59:08 AM »

Demon,
In case no one has addressed this: A .tgb is simply a .tga with a different extension. I've always just altered the extension. And as to the alpha channel, in Photoshop I simply delete that channel. Before that I found that using IrfanView to save a file having an alpha channel would have the alpha channel absent.  ;)

I am a Noob when it comes to graphic design (and many other things as my wife tells me), so don't know them fancy Photoshop tricks!  :D
Best Regards, UberDemon/danzigzag, Get UQMG at SAS BAT Mission area.  www.uberdemon.net no longer exists.

ssn637

• Men mean more than guns in the rating of a ship
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2024, 02:01:16 AM »

With the help of Mike's outstanding IMF Converter I was able to replace the IL-2 1946 4.12.2M map texture files after doubling their size in Photoshop. 

However, now not all of the maps will load due to conflicts between the BumpH files and their associated TGAs.  So far Truk Island, for example, with a reported texture size mismatch between Mount3.BumpH (_Tex/Land/Summer) and Mount3.tga.  I tried opening the .BumpH file in Notepad but found nothing but scrambled crypto.  Serves me right! 

FL2070

• Modder
  • FAC #87
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2024, 03:40:13 AM »

Oh yes, this is absolutely excellent. Those differently-formatted TGA files have been a pain in the ass to me for years. Thank you very much.
On average, the average average averages, averagely, the average average of all averages.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2024, 07:27:17 AM »

With the help of Mike's outstanding IMF Converter I was able to replace the IL-2 1946 4.12.2M map texture files after doubling their size in Photoshop. 

However, now not all of the maps will load due to conflicts between the BumpH files and their associated TGAs.  So far Truk Island, for example, with a reported texture size mismatch between Mount3.BumpH (_Tex/Land/Summer) and Mount3.tga.  I tried opening the .BumpH file in Notepad but found nothing but scrambled crypto.  Serves me right!

Just add a new tga extension, like this:

*.BumpH.tga

Play with in your fave image editor, then remove the .tga and save.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2024, 08:29:24 AM »

not possible to use a tga 128x128x32 without alpha channel
This bug has been solved, new Version 1.2 of the IMF Converter is available.
It's the same link as before, the file has been update in place, so please go to first post of this thread and download the new version using the old link.

Changelog is available in 1st post now as well.

now not all of the maps will load due to conflicts between the BumpH files and their associated TGAs
Just to avoid confusion for unsuspecting users reading this thread: This issue is not related to the IMF Converter at all, it solely stems from manually resizing the TGAs afterwards.

]cheers[
Mike
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 24 queries.