Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Would an option to turn on/off muzzle flash illumination have appeal?  (Read 290 times)

WxTech

• Modder

There exists a mod that alters GunGeneric.class to disable muzzle flash illumination entirely (actually, gives it zero intensity.) Given that the weapon classes have all been altered so that the illumination intensity has been reduced (and the color improved), would there be any interest in the option to enable or disable this illumination, via a [Mods] section entry in conf.ini?

There are cases where it can be useful to have no such illumination. Some gunsight reflector glass textures have a high Ambient value in the .mat file, which can result in annoying and unrealistic flashing of the reflector glass. And this can be really prominent when the aircraft attitude has the Sun reflecting off this glass (which is generally impossible, for the floor of the plane would have to be transparent in order to admit sunlight to reflect thusly.) And in other respects this illumination might be unwanted.

While on the matter, how about the option to restrict such illumination to the hours of twilight/nighttime?

In other words, the three possibilities would be:
- Always enabled.
- Always disabled.
- Enabled during darkness only.

What would be the most intuitive scheme for such a conf.ini option? The numbers 0 and 1 make sense for binary choices, and this is already widely used. But 0, 1 and 2 are not so intuitive, although we do bypass the complication of language-based values.

If numbers are best, perhaps the 0 and 1 should be reserved for the always off and always on options, respectively, reserving the "2" for enabling during darkness only. This would be the safest and more widely assumed scheme if one has lost the 'instructions'.  ;)
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

WxTech

• Modder

Thus far it seems not.  ;)
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

shardana

I would love any improvement available. For me is a yes!

RABIZO

I think it's great to have a choice.

elot

I would rather have the choice, than always disabled  ;D

But on the numbers.
I would indeed choose 0 for disabled, 1 for enabled en 2 for night only.
And what i always do is make a line before the config entry with a comment and put in that comment the options possible, for later reference.

Code: [Select]
;FastLaunchAI always on 0 otherwise AI may launch whith wings still folded.
FastLaunchAI=0

And also:
;NG-MAP settings
ngMAPfriendly=1
ngMAPfilters=1
ngMAPnoise=1
ngMAPhostile=1

And
;VisibilityDistance
;Default game values are in remark lines
;MaxVisualDistance=5000 //- effects?
;MaxStaticVisualDistance=4000 //- objects?
;MaxLongVisualDistance=10000 //- big ships?
;MaxPlateVisualDistance=16000 //- runways?
MaxVisualDistance=6000
MaxStaticVisualDistance=8000
MaxLongVisualDistance=12000
MaxPlateVisualDistance=16000

Frankiek

• SAS Team

we could consider this as a sort of muzzle flash suppressor very useful for night fighters
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 20 queries.