Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Stearman (as from BAT 4.2.1) compass fix  (Read 2230 times)

Willyp

• Military Arms Photos
Re: Stearman (as from BAT 4.2.1) compass fix
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2022, 11:18:14 AM »

Thank you Epervier!, was just looking in the dump folder, with your directions finding the class files was pretty easy! (I had just almost picked up on the SFS file thing and then they were changed to these class files LOL), still couldn't find the FM though, looked as Stearman and PT_17 but assume it's using another FM? In any event I'll add the class files to the zip for Wx and hopefully he'll have what he needs to work his magic and I've learned a little bit more, thanks again
Intel I9-9900K 4ghz CPU, Nvidia 2080Ti 11gb GPU, 64Gb DDR4-3200ram, 2Tb SSD boot, 4Tb SSD, 2Tb SSD, 8Tb 7200rpm HDD+32Gb Intel Optane

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2022, 11:18:24 AM »

Wx, not sure if this is what you need but I did a "dump" in a stock BAT 4.2.1 hotfix3, Stearman, only things I saw were the 3do folders for the plane and cockpit, found no fm or class files in the dump (but never did this before so not sure what I'm doing lol). Here's a link for the zip download https://www.mediafire.com/file/iv58pc57uwjad9z/PT17_Stearman.zip/file hopefully this is what you need, let me know, and Thanks for all you do for all of us!

Thanks for taking the time! I'm about to grab your stuff.

Hopefully the plane folder is fully self contained, not requiring to obtain ancillary files from another folder or folders. (It seems the cockpit folder is OK in this respect.)

Gabriel has supplied the location of classfiles, where you should find the Stearman classes.

For future reference, dumped game classes are found in

dump/com/maddox/

Planes and cockpit classes are in

dump/com/maddox/il2/objects/air/

Without me knowing the actual names, you could start looking for, e.g.,

Stearman.class
  CockpitStearman.class

The names could be different to this, of course, and not necessarily share a common nomenclature. Cockpit classes, if not universally, do for the very most part start with "Cockpit".

Thanks again for the assistance!

P.S. I posted this after you made your previous post.   ;)
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

Willyp

• Military Arms Photos
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2022, 11:28:58 AM »

Wx, here's the new link w/the classes included https://www.mediafire.com/file/ftys1scq9s1fr97/PT17_Stearman.zip/file couldn't find anything on the FM sorry. Apologies for the confusion but I have no idea what I'm doing but trying to learn LOL!
Intel I9-9900K 4ghz CPU, Nvidia 2080Ti 11gb GPU, 64Gb DDR4-3200ram, 2Tb SSD boot, 4Tb SSD, 2Tb SSD, 8Tb 7200rpm HDD+32Gb Intel Optane

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2022, 11:53:24 AM »

Willy,
I just checked and see that the old class is called "Stearman.class", which was for the original 'frankenplane' based on the U-2. The new one will be named differently so as to not conflict with the established--even though superseded--plane.

And there's the need for the cockpit class as well, which might have a name including "PT-17" or something like that.

Hopefully a new FM is not required... fingers crossed. ;)

Glenn
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2022, 12:43:12 PM »

Just to be clear, I still need the plane and cockpit class in order to have a chance to finish this job. After investing a full day already, I'm motivated to see it through.

And the air.ini entry would be handy.

If a new FM has been created, that would be needed, too.

Strawkalling

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2022, 01:20:10 PM »

WxTech, thanks for all your efforts on this! Dealing with a "simple" error is not so simple after all!

I've just taken a quick look at your new compass. It looks good, but stands out a lot compared with the other instruments now. Perhaps the "smudged" glass needs to be toned down a bit?

There's also a difference between the front and rear cockpits:

Front -

Rear -

These confirm what mechanic has shown - the glass in the front cockpit appears okay, but from the rear cockpit the same glass is visible and none is present on the rear compass.

I'm just about to embark on a "test flight" to look at the compass behaviour. I'll report back later.

As an aside, it's notable flicking back and forth between the front and rear cockpits that the pilot's head is located further back from the instrument panel in the rear cockpit - visible in the two images above. I did not notice this previously.

Strawkalling

Willyp

• Military Arms Photos
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2022, 01:39:28 PM »

Just to be clear, I still need the plane and cockpit class in order to have a chance to finish this job. After investing a full day already, I'm motivated to see it through.

And the air.ini entry would be handy.

If a new FM has been created, that would be needed, too.

Wx, new link for download https://www.mediafire.com/file/h7wtqlxcago4fuf/PT17_Stearman.zip/file

Found a bunch of "cockpitPT17" files in the dump folder, also took the only class file that said Stearman or PT17 from the dump folder (but I believe its the same as the previous one which was taken from the WAW3 classes folder not the dump. Also copied the air.ini entry from waw3 and included, I looked thru each folder in the dump folder and there are no other folders/files etc that I could find that said stearman or pt17 or anything related that I could figure, found nothing anywhere for a FM file for the stearman or pt17.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2022, 01:44:20 PM »

I could properly tackle these issues if only I could fly the bird in my BAT 4.0 game.  ;)  And see the code driving the compass. The mesh viewer utility clearly does not reveal the sorts of issues those glass covers exhibit in the game.

Out of curiosity, does the stock compass behave more normally, at least in terms of fully rotating without odd glitches?

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2022, 01:53:57 PM »

Willy,
I'll take a look at your new stuff very shortly. Yes, the cockpit class typically is comprised of a few individual classfiles. As long as all files having the same base name are included, they'll decompile to the full Java file that I can work on.

Strange about the plane class (which is usually a single file) seeming to have the same name as the older frankenplane creation. I understand that in order to not conflict with legacy assets new class names are created as a matter of policy. I'll know soon enough, I suppose, by seeing which cockpit class is invoked in that plane class; if this newer PT-17 cockpit class, then all is good.

In the meantime, can anyone more versed in this chime in?

Strawkalling

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2022, 02:11:12 PM »

WxTech, I hope you don't mind a load of screenshots! I've just done a test flight with the new compass (I'll try the old one later).

1 - lined up for take off at heading 045 degrees (see lower left):

2 - after take off, turn to starboard to heading 090 degrees:

3 - turn to port to heading 000 degrees:

4 - turn to port to heading 270 degrees:

5 - turn to port to heading 180 degrees:

6 - turn to port to heading 090 degrees:

I repeated the exercise by turning to starboard with the exact reverse result. It appears that for each 90 degree turn the compass card rotates 45 degrees.

I also observed the sudden flipping at 270 degrees, which I'll put in a follow-on post.

Strawkalling

Strawkalling

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2022, 02:15:29 PM »

WxTech, Here's the sudden flipping at 270 degrees where, turning to port through 270 degrees the compass card switches from S to N. The reverse happens when turning to starboard through 270 degrees.

Strawkalling

Strawkalling

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2022, 03:01:49 PM »

WxTech, I just completed a second test flight, using the old compass. It reads correctly for all headings, and does not show the same flipping behaviour when passing through 270 degrees, whether to port or starboard.

Strawkalling
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 28 queries.