Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Reworking the Philippine map  (Read 7651 times)

Cycle

• Modder
Re: Reworking the Philippine map
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2022, 05:29:30 PM »

WxTech,
Looks really good!
I was hoping to minimize this "tiling" effect by constantly varying the textures! The advantage is that you get a higher sharpness and a more variety of Textures later in game, the disadvantage is that you has a lot of work..

DEMs? No, i have  the map from Czech Texan:

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,15092.msg161404.html#msg161404

A problem is the lack of space for airfields, especially those where bombers are scheduled to take off later and runways need to be relatively long! I also built these one-way airfields on the map, simply because the airfields were really aligned like that in reality and, as I said, due to a lack of space!
For me as a DCG campaign builder it's a good thing that the map is in some large areas flat!
When the road network will be created for the campaign, it will easier to ensure that the two factions' ground units can see and shoot at each other from a distance later in the mission! But of course that's just my point of view!

Btw, here are other repaints for the map:
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,15092.msg478908.html#msg478908

I think Delvpiers Map is one of the oldest of the map mods! I personally hope that someone with more retexturing experience will give the map an extraordinary outfit, which it deserves! ;)
"Lenin sagte einmal, der ungebildete Mensch stehe außerhalb der Politik. Heute aber haben wir ein gebildetes Volk. Wie wir in den letzten Jahren handelten, bedeutete, es aus der Politik herauszuhalten. Das ist eine Mißachtung des Volkes. Das ist eine Art Elitedenken." Michail Gorbatschow

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2022, 09:39:29 AM »

I think Delvpiers Map is one of the oldest of the map mods! I personally hope that someone with more retexturing experience will give the map an extraordinary outfit, which it deserves! ;)
This map by Delvpiers was monumental when it came out.  Nevermind about the map_H heights, as it is a good map with or without a new one.  A new repaint will be nice to see.  Perhaps WxTech could help with that.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2022, 07:41:24 PM »

The 'cliff wall' of ~60m height (due to pushing all terrain below this down to sea level) all over the map everywhere bugged me so much that I just had to fix it.   ;)  In Photoshop I applied a curve to the darker parts of map_h, selectively bringing down the lower elevations in a smooth manner so that the 'cliff' was practically eliminated.

A section of the original map_h is on the left. Note how EVERYWHERE the landscape height goes from zero (seal level) to the RGB value around 60 or so. And generally instantaneously. Hence the artificial cliff. On the right you will see how the lower elevations have effectively been given a gentler slope, giving a more natural look. In the game, the improvement is shockingly good.

Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2022, 08:03:21 PM »

I spent all night yesterday going over the map fixing things on Lonestar's latest iteration (1941-1944, including MANY more airfields):

Numerous airfields required a more appropriate land texture be placed underneath.

A huge number of coastline bits had the land texture falling a bit short, with unwanted 'beach' texturing appearing as a prominent, clashing  bright yellow. (You know they're not intended due to appearing almost exclusively on SE facing shores.)

A number of airfields suffered interference by a too-close placement of the forest.

Things are getting close enough to done, without going to massive lengths and effort, that I'll soon release this treatment. I have already put in at least 10 hours on it.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

Cycle

• Modder
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2022, 08:17:48 PM »

I'm curious how it will look like, Thanks for your work, WXTech!
I'll make another port and then it's on to the traffic networks!

"Lenin sagte einmal, der ungebildete Mensch stehe außerhalb der Politik. Heute aber haben wir ein gebildetes Volk. Wie wir in den letzten Jahren handelten, bedeutete, es aus der Politik herauszuhalten. Das ist eine Mißachtung des Volkes. Das ist eine Art Elitedenken." Michail Gorbatschow

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2022, 04:20:04 AM »

I've gone on another tangent, of sorts, and did up a new set of textures that are more colorful. I built upon some selected Green_Hell textures, for  a more lively, tropical green.

Cycle

• Modder
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2022, 05:26:37 PM »

Looks great and you can see now the Airfield's better!
Thanks WXTech!

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2022, 05:39:22 AM »

Here are my altered files, principally for the new '41-'44 map having the numerous additional airfields. The map originally used existing stock textures. Now all textures are exclusive to this map, in their own folder, and thus are not used by any other map.

This is not a major overhaul. I have for the most part engaged in a simple texture substitution, albeit with some number of local adjustments, as well as a reduction in the number of filled texture slots by 3. There's lots of room for new textures to be implemented.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/o7inrexrmirjr0l/Philippines_retexture_WxTech.7z/file

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2022, 08:37:35 AM »

I'm really impressed with the work you all have done!  The addition of many new airfields, ports, railways, etc., and also include new textures makes this a great looking project.

If there are extra texture slots available, then more additional textures could be painted in small areas, just to add a bit of interest for flyovers.  Perhaps add textures that have a very small village in it - since the Philippines is a very populous country.  It's not necessary to populate these small villages with houses (unless you'd like to).

Kopfdorfer

• Potez 63.11 France's most significant AC in 1940
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2022, 08:59:39 AM »

Not sure the population should be related as quite so huge for the WW2 period.
In 1940 ( ATW - according to Wiki ) the Philippines population was 17,000,000
16,000,000 of which was Manila alone.
That is not a lot of other development for that huge region.
In 2020 it was just under 110,000,000

Kopfdorfer

Cycle

• Modder
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2022, 01:55:08 PM »

WxTech,
Editing the map_h file was a really good idea, looks better, no question! The textures match the map and it looks great! When I'm done with the traffic network, I'll release it for download, but will still remain as a WIP.
Thanks for your time and work! 

Cycle

• Modder
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2022, 05:29:22 PM »

Hi all!
The transport network is almost complete, I'm currently filling up Manila Port with some more objects!
I think I'll be done by the end of the year, maybe a little earlier!
Happy Christmas to all!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 25 queries.