Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Progress on retexturing Bee's Rabaul 1944  (Read 686 times)

WxTech

• Modder
Progress on retexturing Bee's Rabaul 1944
« on: May 15, 2022, 04:32:47 PM »

The changes:

- Most important (!) is the elimination of the far too prominent 'zebra striping' at farther distances due to the ForestFar texture that was used (it had very prominent shadowing representative of fairly sharply ridged terrain). I HUGELY reduced the contrast, so as to result in a more uniform forest that has the ARTIFICIAL and strong shadowing greatly reduced.
- The texture underlying the forest (seen at nearer distance) also had its contrast reduced, but only by a small amount.
- The layered forest textures are all darkened by a moderate amount.
- The auto-generated trees are darkened somewhat, and given a bit of a richer color.
- The water is darkened, reduced in color intensity and shifted in hue toward the blue.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

vonofterdingen

• Missioneer
Re: Progress on retexturing Bee's Rabaul 1944
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 04:48:40 PM »

Great choice for an update.

It could be my setup, but I also notice a lot of flicker over the northwest quadrant of the city in the harbor.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 05:01:15 PM »

If that flickering is due to buildings seen at their longest LOD and near their visibility limit, not long ago I released an object fix mod that takes care of at least most of them on this and other Pacific maps (and some non pacific ones, too). This pack includes a good bunch of map objects, and corrects a number of deficiencies, such as bad or missing collision boxes, bad or missing shadows, the long range flickering, and masking net oddities. And tree fixes. And other stuff I'm sure I've forgotten.  ;)

Go to this thread:

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,68674.0.html
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

vonofterdingen

• Missioneer
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 10:10:25 PM »

I will get this. Thanks.

Gzrgeek

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 11:17:11 AM »

Beautiful work!

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 12:54:11 PM »

Since the last update I've worked on the forest and auto-generated tree color, to give them a more lively green hue. Which also balances the vegetation better. Right now, if you load up this map you'll find that compared to the palm trees, the other trees and forest are quite brown. REALLY brown and lifeless. Here we see all three elements of vegetation in close proximity, on the north edge of Rabaul.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 12:58:33 PM »

An overview similar to the first screenshot in this thread. The greener hue should be apparent...

genXgamer

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2022, 11:08:41 PM »

All we need now is dirt tracks that are actually suitable for these types of maps.

Go in quickly - Punch hard - Get out!

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 03:49:10 PM »

RABIZO

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2022, 06:08:53 AM »

Thank you for "WxTech".
We are currently editing a video of a sortie from Rabaul.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 25 queries.