Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't open SBD-3 Gunsight Tube...always Blocked !! Solved...Check WIP !!!  (Read 912 times)

gunny0134

• no skill just simple, but seek the best beauty !!

First of all, I'd like to thank all the modders for their unwavering helps...!!!
I am not an English speaker. So please understand even if there is a strange expression.. ;)
1946 SBD-3's gunsight tube always blocked and black. It's very frustrating...So I can't concentrate when I dive for bombing. I'd like to want to keep that open... ::(
  - Stock, SAS, BAT Mod, They all show the same phenomenon.
  - My 1946 Environment : Steam Download version 4.12.2m, SAS 5.30 & BAT 4.0 Red Core (2 Mod installed).
  - When I checked the YouTube video, It was all closed in the video from 1 to 3 years ago and the previous(over 7 years ago)one was open.
  - Tinted Reticle Dimmer=Ctrl D, not working(in case of 'Val', working well).
  - According to the information from SAS Forum, installed 'Mart_reticle-brightness' util (Alt+D Key setting). but nothing response.
  - Shift+F1 Key, working well. 

Let's take a look at the closed picture. These include mine and others.

These are open pictures from old YouTube videos.

WxTech

• Modder
Re: Can't open SBD-3 Gunsight Tube...always Blocked !!!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 01:00:34 AM »

The SBD3's sight is designed to be used via the SHF F1 key. As for other planes like the Val, this is a 'special view that effectively brings up another cockpit view. In this view, your PoV is rigidly set somewhere in the sight tube that's modeled in the 'main' cockpit view. This new PoV could be near the rear end, or it could be at the forward end. But in any event a dedicated reticle and reticle mask are the main things shown in this 'special cockpit view.' Which is controlled by certain Java code in the cockpit class.

Some other tube sights in other planes do not operate this way. SHF F1 will retain the 'main' cockpit view, with your PoV being simply set directly behind the sight, in alignment, as is done for fighter reflector sights.

It all depends on how the cockpit builder intended the sight picture to be presented.

Years ago I made a mod for the SBD3 sight that included a working slip ball, as the real sight did, which helps drop accuracy via control of side-slip. I should resurrect it...
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

gunny0134

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 01:57:13 AM »

My dear helper WxTech !! Thank you for your answer.. :-*
It all depends on how the cockpit builder intended the sight picture to be presented.
Hoo~~ We should just use it because the Cockpit Builder's intention is like that... :(
Still, I think there will be people who feel frustrated about that, so I'd really appreciate it if someone could come forward and make something like "New F2A-2 Tube Sight Mod."

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 02:40:01 AM »

If the actual sight was constructed such that the pilot had to place his eye against an eye cup in order to have his eye at the eye point, then this implementation of a sight view-only graphic would be valid enough. I recall a famous photo used in a Time magazine article back during the war that had the pilot demonstrating the sight use with his eye right up against the eyecup.

For sights having the eye point some distance removed from the eyepiece/eyecup, then the implementation in the F2A-2 sight mod you mentioned is the correct one. I would like to adapt it to other cockpits, but there are so many other mod projects pulling at me.

These days it seems the capable modders are putting more emphasis on the external plane model. Personally, I think that cockpits--being what we players are almost always in the middle of--are far more important than fine detail in landing strut oleos or cooling fins on radial engines. Unless one is at heart a kit plane modeler who puts more emphasis on gazing at the outside of the plane in a screenshot gallery.

In addition to my decades of use and making of optical instruments in my pursuit of the hobby of astronomy (and other activites), I've worked professionally in optics fabrication. Hence my particular interest in optical sights. I've also built working collimated sights on the principle of the reflector gun sight. They're ridiculously simple things at the fundamental level. And the telescopic sights are not all that complex either.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

gunny0134

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 04:29:55 AM »

Your writings seem to have some philosophy of life...!!
Compared to that, I'm just a gamer, and I think I've focused on showing it to others in a cool way through external view scenes.
from now on, I should pay a lot of attention to the pilot's appearance of looking outward inside the cockpit according to your meaningful words.
I would like to adapt it to other cockpits, but there are so many other mod projects pulling at me.
You have a lot of plans to make mods. I hope everything will bear abundant fruit successfully. ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 26 queries.