Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: IL-2 Great Battles vs IL-2 1946  (Read 2474 times)

Draken

Re: IL-2 Great Battles vs IL-2 1946
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2022, 02:05:24 PM »

There is also a philosophical difference  .

IL-2 1946 " Forgotten battles " is now quite an " open source " software . It belongs to the players . You buy the game for cheap , then it belongs to you .You can make as many copies of it as you want . The game does not depend on the Windows registry . You can modify it as you want . You can share it as you want .
It represents the freedom side of personnal computing , a remnant of the golden age of computing .

IL-2 " Great Battles " is a kind of marketing system . The players don't even buy a game , but a  a " license " , which give them access to a WIP game  .The players belong to the game .
There are " premium " planes ! Why are they " premium " ? Perhaps because they are supposed to be better than the other planes . So you have to pay extra money for the " premium " planes . It is a kind of " pay to win " .Is the "premium " feature appropriate to a flight sim ? Or rather to a merchandising business ?

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2022, 01:05:50 AM »

IL-2 1946 (...) open source
Not at all.

You can make as many copies of it as you want
For personal use: Yes, as long as you only use one at a time. Same goes for IL-2 GB.

You can share it as you want
Technically: Yes, to some extent. Legally: Not at all.

IL-2 " Great Battles " (...) The players don't even buy a game , but a  a " license " , which give them access to a WIP game
To make matters worse, it's revocable, based on intransparent "rules" issued, changed and applied without player's consent.
You could sue against it if push comes to shove, but the devs know this won't work for there's no public interest in such legal actions.

There are " premium " planes ! Why are they " premium " ? Perhaps because they are supposed to be better than the other planes . So you have to pay extra money for the " premium " planes . It is a kind of " pay to win "
Completely wrong.
There are no "premium" planes.
There are "premium editions" which hold two additional collector planes each, and there are additional collector planes available as standalone purchases as well.
A collector Ju-52 probably doesn't justify your "pay to win" claim, neither does a collector P-40 or MC.202.

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Drewm3i

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2022, 01:45:18 PM »

I love IL-2 1946 as much as the next guy, but it's had its day in the sun despite being the greatest WW2 aim of all time. Great Battles is leagues better both visually and in terms of fidelity, however it also has many faults and problems. Personally I think the time is coming where DCS could blow everything out of the water.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2022, 03:53:27 PM »

I often cast myself back into the dim mists of time, those now comparative Dark Ages of the early "90s which nonetheless at the time were days of wonder. The endless hours of adventure playing such engaging and ground-breaking games as Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, Red Baron, Pacific Air War 1942. To name just a few. I imagine what I might think then had I a crystal ball to see how far the art would advance in just a decade.

Imagination is the whole point of play. As a kid I had about as much fun with a cardboard box as I do with my computer now. While we all naturally strive for more and better, there is a certain truth in perfection being the enemy of the good.  By maintaining perspective and staying in touch with my inner child, I can better appreciate the simpler things that still engage imagination.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2022, 06:28:52 AM »

Well said.  :)

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2022, 07:44:26 AM »

Personally I think the time is coming where DCS could blow everything out of the water.
Either that, or MS could decide to add a CFS module to MSFS 2020.
Both means that average Joe will have to stop eating and sleeping in order to afford it, but hey, do I look like I give a flying something?

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

SAS~Bombsaway

• Choose your battles wisely.
  • SAS Team
  • A day without laughter is a day wasted
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2022, 09:32:44 AM »

I gave up on the series long ago because they have you paying $ 70-$80 US for a game that is always incomplete with only a couple of " collector " planes. The game engine, from what I'm told, will never allow you to fly four engine bombers along with the eternity of bugs that they refuse to admit to much less attempt to address so I will never return to it.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Witchy

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2022, 11:50:57 AM »

I have both. Il-2GB still cannot come close to 1946 in the dynamic campaign systems and amount of great aircraft to fly. This and the fact I really do not enjoy this new trend to neckle and dime for everything that sims included in an initial release say 10+ years ago.

Just a girl who loves to fly.

Esv_Pato

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/476710667557897
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2022, 11:16:07 AM »

Conclusion. Better graphics don't make a better game. Perhaps we value more having all the players the same planes, infinite maps, infinite campaigns, incredible mod community........and more.

cestode

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2022, 12:11:17 PM »

Sorry to bring up drama, but I would add that, subjectively, the 1946 community is a lot friendlier. I'm really put off by the customer service from the GB devs. I'm not talking about trolls either. I've seen really unprofessional responses to simple requests like asking for a manual. I was really interested in the Pacific Theater, but I can't help thinking that they weren't completely honest about their reasons for not pursuing it further. This forum has been the opposite. Everyone has been friendly and helpful. When I first joined, I mentioned having trouble with the Brewster Buffalo's RPM gauge, and someone went ahead and fixed it!

Back to 1946 now. The Pacific Theater is a massive selling point for me. That's the area that I'm most interested in when it comes to WWII aviation. I'm also interested in more obscure campaigns, such as the Aleutian islands, which wouldn't make sense to do in GB, but have been covered by modders.

cestode

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2022, 12:19:46 PM »

I'd like to know which aspects of 1946 are arguably better apart from the amount of content and the business model. A few of these have been brought up:

Carrier operations!
1946 supports far more aircraft in the air at once.
Possibly better AI.
Better dynamic campaign

Apart from theres, is there anything else that comes to mind?

Gaston

• Modder
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2022, 01:40:21 PM »

Apart from theres, is there anything else that comes to mind?

With modded game, various era, such as WW1, Inter-Wars period, WW2, Jet Era as is in BAT, or few years ago, in CUP...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 26 queries.