Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ships - Some tweaks done, and a question  (Read 630 times)

WxTech

• Modder
Ships - Some tweaks done, and a question
« on: November 25, 2021, 08:25:50 AM »

As I get close to wrapping up the latest work on the soon-to-be released effects pack update, I've been incorporating some ship related items.

The heavier ship gun firing effects (fire and smoke) have been re-jigged. Also, where the classes support it, illumination of the surroundings by muzzle flash has been enhanced; the stock effect was essentially invisible. The combination of the fire/smoke and illumination from the largest guns at night is pretty neat.

For the large fire from destroyed tankers, illumination of the surroundings has been added.

For certain of the intermediate guns, whose muzzle blast effects reside in Effects/GunFire/88mm, the fire and smoke effects have been made completely anew. Formerly, the effect was utterly bizarre!

For most of the small number of tanker type ships, the hooks which locate the start of the wake effect were positioned too far forward, resulting in the wake actually protruding a small distance forward of the bow! I've moved these hooks farther rearward, in line with the usual practice for ships.

Somewhat related to the foregoing, the same hooks for the generic IJN BB were too close together, resulting in a rather skinny wake for the wide beam of this big tub. I doubled their separation, which results in a more suitably wide wake.

The two just-mentioned adjustments to ship wake hooks will be released in a separate mod.

Now to my question, as my experience with ship modding is quite meager.

From what I can ascertain, in spite of about a half dozen ships described as being tankers, only the ancient, original SINGLE tanker in the game is actually of the "tanker" type as far as BigShipsGeneric.class is concerned. In this class is where the damage fire and smoke is handled, with a check for the "tanker" type being executed to assign a dedicated fire and smoke.

I would like to make the other tankers meet this condition. Currently these other 'tankers' produce the usual fire/smoke of other similar sized non-tankers, which is rather less intense than the huge fire and thicker, longer lasting smoke I've assigned to the "tanker" type.

I've looked in all the places I could think to in order to determine what it is that assigns a ship to the "tanker" type, but have divined nothing. Is there a ship mod Master in the house who can guide me?

Thanks!

Epervier

• 4.09 Guardian Angel !
  • SAS Team
  • I'm French and Rebel_409! Nobody is perfect!
    • Some tinkering here
Re: Ships - Some tweaks done, and a question
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 08:44:35 AM »

Example :
In 409 in "com.maddox.il2.objects.ships.ship.class" you read :
   public static class Tanker extends BigshipGeneric implements TgtShip {

But in BAT in "com.maddox.il2.objects.ships.ship.class" you read :
   public static class Tanker extends BigshipGeneric implements TgtShip, TankerType {

;)

If your results are not up to your expectations, tell yourself that as large oak was once an acorn ...

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 10:43:33 AM »

Thanks, Gabriel!

Orge Schwab

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 10:49:16 AM »

"For the large fire from destroyed tankers, illumination of the surroundings has been added".

Reading this sparked off an image in my mind. I don't suppose there is any way to simulate a patch of burning fuel oil on the sea surface? Floating, expanding and drifting with the current, before dispersing or just burning out? Or a large, spreading patch of non-burning oil issuing from the breached hull of a tanker (or submerged sub)? Old movies often feature this sort of thing, don't they? Burning oil on the sea surface at night is very cinematic.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 02:46:47 PM »

About burning oil spilled from a vessel. If one is willing to settle for simplicity, such as the immediate presence of some burning right away (i.e., only fire and smoke is seen), ceasing after some interval of time, that I have the meagre skill to execute. It's just like the way a few individual fires are made for crashed planes. (And it's the basis for my new effect of shrapnel splashes for bomb bursts against ships and bridges.)

For a more complicated thing as an actual oil slick object expanding away from the source, that could shred the contents of my coconut.  :D

Orge Schwab

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 04:17:04 PM »

Luckily, we've got a luverrly bunch of coconuts - at SAS.  :-|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf670orHKcA

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 06:53:16 AM »

I'm almost finished getting all the tankers up to the common standard as regards damage/destruction effects. Here are three different tankers just bombed, showing the new illumination to go with the large fire.

Two remaining issues to fix:

1) Currently the stock tanker is now no longer visible in the preview window, and hence is not available for use. (But all the other tankers are; strange.)

2) I'm trying to raise the point location for the illumination source some distance above the ships' decks; currently it seems to be at about the waterline, meaning the light is emitted from inside the ship and hence looks a bit weird.

Here are three different tankers just bombed:

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2021, 09:38:05 AM »

Success!

The illumination is now coming from a bit of a distance above the deck, so that the ship doesn't look like the light is coming from inside the hull (resulting in the deck being essentially black). And all tanker types are behaving as desired.

For tankers I altered the timing of fire and smoke generation, no longer tying it to the point the hull section sinks some distance (and not very much) below the waterline. Now the fire/smoke/illumination will in many instances last longer than it otherwise would have. The range at the moment varies between 4 to 7 minutes.

Some screenies...

If the smoke is blowing toward the viewer, it's well dense enough to completely obscure the fire. A couple more ships are afire in the background.

Epervier

• 4.09 Guardian Angel !
  • SAS Team
  • I'm French and Rebel_409! Nobody is perfect!
    • Some tinkering here
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2021, 09:48:11 AM »

Bravo !
Very nice !  ;)
If your results are not up to your expectations, tell yourself that as large oak was once an acorn ...

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2021, 09:55:54 AM »

A new texture for oil fires. The typical .mat file parameter tfBlendAdd 1 for fire type textures results in darker parts becoming more transparent, which loses the effect of the dense opacity of the smoke condensing out of the cooling flame. By making tfBlendAdd 0, the dark parts retain full opacity (if that's what's intended, as here), resulting in a much fuller looking fire that's condensing to soot.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2021, 11:25:41 PM »

I've added a probability for the same fire/smoke/illumination for tankers to be invoked for bigger ships. For Enormous, 33%, for Huge, 25%, for Large, 15%.

In this screenie we see a cruiser on the left that has the new oil fire and smoke belching forth. Toward the right the carrier has one of the 'regular' fire/smokes and one of the new oil fire/smokes.

Hans-Joachim Marseille

• "Ni!"
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2021, 11:50:25 PM »

Wow! Next masterpiece from you!  But just asking THIS will surely not work with DESPERAUX  ships FX - right!? But very nice WIP, Glenn!   :)
"I been bad, I been good - Dallas, Texas, Hollywood I ain't askin' for much, I say, Lord take me downtown - I'm just lookin' for some tush." Dusty Hill  1949-2021. Rock in Peace, hombre.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 24 queries.