Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Air-to-Air Missile and Radar questions  (Read 769 times)

MrXenomorph

Air-to-Air Missile and Radar questions
« on: November 21, 2021, 09:51:59 AM »

Having played BAT for a bit with a lot of the older jets, I've started to delve more and more into the more modern side of the Jet War with missiles. The Sidewinders are fairly simple to understand, you get the tone and fire, but the radar-guided missiles make me quite lost. According to the manual, in aircraft like the F-18 I can use the Misc and bombsight control to target the enemy and fire an AMRAAM, but from my experience, there is no proper way to manually lock on to an enemy via radar and it will just automatically do that for you. On top of that, the Radar and radar controls don't make sense especially with the older jets like for F-106. So to simplify my questions: 1. Is there a way to manually lock on and target enemies with Radar in modern jets, and 2. What exactly do the radar modes, scan range and gain mean and how do they affect both older and newer jets

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
Re: Air-to-Air Missile and Radar questions
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 10:49:12 AM »

Implementation of modern jetwar stuff lacks a lot of detail in IL-2.
That's because the game's main audience isn't exactly 1990 onwards.
From the top of my head, if radar guided missile implementation is still similar to what I made it back in the days of IL-2 1956, the best way to lock onto a particular aircaft is to use padlock before doing your fox one.

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Vampire_pilot

Re: Air-to-Air Missile and Radar questions
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 11:28:37 AM »

Indeed it is.
Also, look into batdocs folder. There are several interesting guides regarding modern jet ops.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 24 queries.