Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 50   Go Down

Author Topic: Andy H's miniature madness  (Read 39152 times)

Andy H

Re: Andy H's miniature madness
« Reply #240 on: October 10, 2022, 12:47:35 PM »

Thanks,, old chum - useful stuff.  ]thumright[

Will probably get back into the swing of things with the Panzer II - looks like a build in a day project (famous last words).  :)

Andy H

« Reply #241 on: October 12, 2022, 05:55:39 AM »

Ha! Back in action. Fairly neat and tidy ay the moment, but I'm sure it'll soon revert to the organised chaos that you all know and love.  ;D

So...the vintage Tamiya Panzer II. I was keen to compare with the latest offering and to find out what you get for £10 as opposed to £30 - apart from a later model with a raised round commander's hatch and an optional turret bin (more on that later).

Well for starters you get most of the fiddly bits moulded on to the chassis and top hull - which are quite presentable.

Just five stages of assembly on the simple intruction sheet.

And four old Afrika Korps figures that need a fair bit of cleaning up. They'll look presentable given time and effort, but they're heading for the spares box.

First impressions, looks like an ideal (and cheap) kit for anyone thinking of getting into this plastic madness. Figures put to one side, time has been very kind to this kit, and it won't take long to produce a nice result. What I'd call a 'confidence-builder'.

Right! let's get stuck in...

Thanks for dropping by, back soon with a paint-ready Panzer.  ;)

Andy H

« Reply #242 on: October 12, 2022, 11:54:17 AM »

Three hours later...

Just one really tiny part at the back of the turret, no problems whatsoever in putting this one together. As common with older Tamiya kits that started life as a battery-powered toy, the top of the hull clips onto the bottom. I decided against fitting the turret bin (which the instuction sheet erroneously states make it an Ausf G), as they appear to have been very rare - I've only come across two vehicles during my photographic reasearch. Anyway, there she is ready for a squirt of panzer grey.

Thanks for looking in, back soon with more alliterative armoured antics.  ;)

Andy H

« Reply #243 on: October 12, 2022, 05:50:16 PM »

Looks a different beast with a lick of paint. I'll let it cure overnight and start weathering tomorrow.

Thanks again for looking in, back soon with more muddy miniature mayhem.  ;)

Andy H

« Reply #244 on: October 13, 2022, 11:18:12 AM »

Tea break while the decalfix does its thing, then it's just road wheel tyres, headlights and filthing-up - oh, and crew figure.

Thanks as always for looking in, back soon with more miniature madness.  ;)

Andy H

« Reply #245 on: October 13, 2022, 03:06:05 PM »

Weathering powders applied. Thinking seriously about leaving the weathering at that...if I can get the spray varnish to behave and not wipe out the powders. Otherwise it's a matter of re-applying and handling the finished item very carefully. Hmmmmm...

Thanks yet again for dropping by, back soon with more diminutive drive-by delights.  ;)

Flamer50

• 'Tracers work both ways.'
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #246 on: October 13, 2022, 04:50:53 PM »

...I'm thinking heavily weathered snow cammo Carius or Wittman.   ]idea[
How about Carius for that Tiger I ?

IAC, Thanks for posting pics of your models, your work is 1st Class. ]thumright[
'The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.'

Andy H

« Reply #247 on: October 13, 2022, 06:01:13 PM »

Carius' Tiger 213 is one of the options in the box.   :)

Here it is whitewashed. I think I'll go for it.

And thanks very much for kind words.  :)

Andy H

« Reply #248 on: October 14, 2022, 05:43:35 AM »

Done and dusted.  :)

The crewman's from the Tamiya set mentioned upthread (minus his legs - he was originally a seated figure), and the tarpaulin's from the spares box.

Pretty pleased with the result from one of the cheapest kits on the market. A definite modelling mojo booster.

Thanks for looking in, back soon with final thoughts and some comparison shots featuring both Tamiya Panzer IIs.  ;)

Andy H

« Reply #249 on: October 14, 2022, 07:56:06 AM »

You've probably got the impression that I'm quite taken with the 1971 kit, and I'm not going to deny it. That's not to say the 2008 kit is any worse, but compared to the old-timer, it's a fiddly and parts-laden longer term project, more suited to an experienced modeller. If you want an early version Panzer II, shell out for it, but be prepared for some challenges along the way to a nice result. Bottom line: You can get three of the old kits for the price of a new one.

If you're in the market for a Panzer II, and don't care much which version you want in your collection, maybe these pics might help...

Well, with the Challenger on hold until I source a suitable base, it's time to open another box. Stay tuned.  :)

Andy H

« Reply #250 on: October 14, 2022, 03:34:59 PM »

Wasted much of today dithering about what to do next. In search of another (fairly) quick build, I finally settled on another queue jumper.

So it's right up to date with a very recent kit. Carius' first ride. So far so good, the hull is flatpacked rather than tub style, but an internal piece to line up on makes fitting it all together a stress-free experience. The single photo-etched part doesn't need bending, so no probs there. Currently psyching myself up for the link and length tracks...

Thanks for looking in, back soon with more researched and riveted roustabouting.  ;)

Andy H

« Reply #251 on: October 16, 2022, 02:32:46 PM »

Pressed for time, but a little progress. Still trying to figure out how I managed to get a track link left over.  :)

Thanks for looking in, back soon with more plastic on parade.  ;)

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 50   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 28 queries.