Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: Andy H's miniature madness  (Read 37552 times)

Andy H

Andy H's miniature madness
« on: November 19, 2021, 08:15:43 PM »

Having hijacked the last few pages of my own screenshot thread, I thought it better to move my modelling madness here - if you've been following my exploits, you've probably noticed I've got a thing for the Red Army and have accumulated quite a few 1/35 vehicles and figures - although not exclusively Soviet, and not exclusively stuck on the ground. Here's my latest offering - the pensionable old Tamiya T-34/85. (I thought time had been quite kind to it) with a couple of Trumpeter crew figures. She's on a temporary base, headed toward a yet-to-be-built Berlin street, where an accordionist and audience awaits...

Currently dithering over which one to break out of the stash next. According to modelling gurus, this is normal. It'll probably be Soviet, but then again, a change is as good as a rest. Front runner at the moment is another old Tamiya - the M3 Lee - further dithering (don't worry, it's quite normal) over whether to do it as a nostalgia buzz 'out of the box' with the Stars and Stripes on the front, or a lend-leaser, on the way to meet its' fate at Kursk. Much as I'm itching to get to grips with all those more recent offerings, I'm thinking it would be a good one to further bring me back up to match fitness, the T-34 was my first build for a while. Stay tuned.  ;)

Andy H

Re: Andy H's miniature madness
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 10:53:49 PM »

While I'm waiting for inspiration, here's something I did earlier.

Verlinden 120mm figure - the pic on the box doesn't do the sculpture justice. I wonder how many people have looked at it, gone "Meh!" put it down and bought something else.

She's part of a small collection I've built up, mostly resin, although the 'Boris Safonov' pilot and infantry officer are plastic kits, Eduard and Trumpeter respectively. The Eduard was a nightmare to assemble. No problems with the other figures, although I was expecting a better likeness of Roza Shanina from the skirted sniper.

Forager

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 06:25:55 AM »

Your figure painting is very well done, where do you get the patience?

Show the M3 when she is ready, we need more ground vehicles here.

Andy H

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 09:06:37 AM »

That's very kind of you, Forager.  :)

If anything, I find figure painting calms me down - I get totally absorbed in it. I have disasters and tantrums like everybody else, of course, but as a rule, I'm naturally quite placid. 

I'll post updates on the M3 as it comes along. As mentioned, I'm getting myself 'back in the game' at the moment - working towards more up to date kits.

My 'big' project is a series of 1/35th dioramas featuring Soviet 'monster' tanks passing through a village during the confusion of the early days of the German invasion. I've obtained the vehicles and a lot of figures, but I think I might have embarked on a never-ending journey - I'm very easily sidetracked by kits that take my eye. Still, I've made a start (as seen in the other thread) - although a lot of my tank crew figures are more suited to later war scenes, I'll be using them in and around other kits...

More soon.  ;)

Andy H

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 05:52:28 AM »

Right - let's get this show on the road. As per usual with 1974 vintage Tamiya kits, it's not going to compare with the latest offerings out there. But...if you're after a fairly simple, quick build that'll look the part once it's had a lick of paint, don't write it off.

Pretty much decided on the lend-lease option. I'm no expert, but according to brief research, the kit depicts a rivet-hulled, deisel engined M3, as supplied to the Red Army. I'll probably finish building it today and might even give it an olive drab undercoat before reporting back.

Andy H

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 11:25:37 AM »

Not the relaxing build I was looking forward to, fixing the top assembly to the front hull was a challenge. However, I've built worse and we're there now. Ready for for a trip to my no-expense-spent spray booth. I'd liked to have left a side hatch open, but haven't got a suitable figure to put in the hole. I'm thinking the tankies I've selected might be a little over-scale - I'll see how the whole thing looks painted up.

So...the question I usually ask myself at this stage is "Would I build another one?" Hmmmm, can't believe I'm saying it about a Tamiya kit (even an oldie), but I have to say "No". Anyway, she's built, and she should look like a Red Army M3 by the time I've finished with her. Now it's on to the enjoyable bit - will update when she's painted.

Thanks for looking in.   :)

Andy H

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2021, 05:24:10 PM »

The boys look a little smaller after a lick of paint - I think they'll look at home after all.

Well, that'll do it for tonight. Up with the lark tomorrow shakin' that rattle-can.  ;)

Andy H

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2021, 10:43:57 AM »

Weeeeee! Now we're flying!  ;D

Sprayed with Tamiya olive drab, first coat of Klear, decals and first wash. Fairly long way to go yet. The crew need toning down, more washes, highlighting and filth - still, we're getting there...

In no rush, but I *might* get it finished tonight.

As ever, thanks for looking in, more soon.  ;)

Andy H

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2021, 06:02:33 PM »

Filth! I'm going let the first layers dry thoroughly overnight before blending things in under natural light. Still very much a work in progress...

spit05

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2021, 05:57:34 AM »

très beau travail Andy H  :)

Andy H

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2021, 12:18:05 PM »

Merci, mon ami.  :)

Almost there. Just a few touch-ins and touch-ups to go...

Back soon with the final reveal.

Andy H

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2021, 03:40:40 PM »

And there she is done.  :)

Time for mug of tea and the traditional dither about what to break out of the stash next. Thanks for looking in - more miniature mayhem soon.  ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 47   Go Up

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 26 queries.