Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Overheating  (Read 1324 times)

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
Overheating
« on: November 17, 2021, 04:03:24 AM »

It seems that in BAT, virtually every plane overheats, no matter which map used, a Winter Ardennes map or a desert map. And nothing seems to help getting an engine back to normal, neither opening the radiator nor cutting back on the throttle.

Is this a buggy thing about BAT or is there some other way to avoid this overheating?

Vampire_pilot

Re: Overheating
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 04:16:58 AM »

Overheating works normal in BAT.
Opening radiators and reducing power lowers the tempertures, just like you would expect it.
With the NG HUD in BAT you can even view the actual engine data in real time when you press tab.

If cooling really is not working for you it must be something you did or are doing wrong

Birdman

• SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 09:48:11 AM »

Which plane have you tested with? I'm getting very different results with different planes. Some new additions are difficult to get overheating whereas some Yaks tend to overheat already around 60% power when I tested them and are thus quite useless as fighters without overheating off. Also B-239 was quite disappointing in my test with about 80% power already making the derated single row engine with quite open mounting overheat.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 09:54:21 AM »

Which plane have you tested with? I'm getting very different results with different planes.

Just about every plane I fly with: Zeros, P-47, P-38, Bf-109/110 Ju88, FK-58, D520 etc etc ... many conk out after a while, even when throttling back to 30-40%. One biplane, forget which, had an engine explosion with oil all over the place ... realistic and fun for once ... :)

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 10:05:18 AM »

again: this is not BAT "normal".

The overheating and cooling downs basics is just like in any other 4.12 based game, say VP Modpack, no difference. How accurate any given .emd file is... as good as anywhere else for that given mod. But "accuracy"' is not the issue you describe, what you describe is not normal. When you reduce power and open coolers, the temps go down.

Did you use any sort of add on mods?

wern moldy

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 01:52:08 PM »

It seems that in BAT, virtually every plane overheats, no matter which map used, a Winter Ardennes map or a desert map.

I have personally found overheating to be far less in BAT than other versions. The a/c seem to be faster in BAT by 30kph on average, and I believe this impacts the temperatures. At the risk of sounding stupid, if you're referring to prop engine a/c, perhaps playing around with the prop pitch will make a difference... if you're not doing that already. It worked a treat for me when I got more experienced with engine management. Most of the time, I'm running about 85% prop pitch during combat in almost every a/c that doesn't have a single power control feature like the FW190.

Taypay

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 10:37:48 AM »

Just my two cents worth

watch your Manifold Pressure, keep it within the engines operating range...ie..Mustang 50 inches on take off....reduce to 46 inches for climb out, this is also MAX. Continuous MP...42 inches Cruise

Prop Pitch RPM, 95-100% max only on take off and only for  5 minutes in Combat, use 75% for cruise power, reduce in dives or you will over-speed the engine, then it is Kaput!...ie..Spitfire 3000 Rpm on take off and Combat  5 minutes max...2850 Rpm  on climb out....2650 Rpm Max Continuous

Radiators Full open on take off and in Combat

Mixture adjust as altitude increases...Lower air density equals less fuel needed in the combustion chamber

The engine instruments are your friend...Please understand how they work and you will save yourself some frustration

For general info....I am licensed and certified F.A.A. A & P as well as T.C. AME  M-1/ S ratings.....Grease Monkey for those who don't know.
Semper Fi

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 12:26:53 PM »

The engine instruments are your friend...Please understand how they work and you will save yourself some frustration

For general info....I am licensed and certified F.A.A. A & P as well as T.C. AME  M-1/ S ratings.....Grease Monkey for those who don't know.

So much to pay attention to. I have trouble simply not getting shot down every mission I fly.

But thanks for the tips. I will try to apply them while in game. Pitch seems easy enough to remember. Luckily I have a slider on my joystick set for pitch adjustment.

One thing though: how does one check or regulate manifold pressure? I don't think I have ever seen a control mention that.

henkypenky

• BAT 4.2 Flashpoint & WAW
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2021, 02:05:36 PM »

Don't know where to find it, but this problem was adressed earlier and the advice than was turn overheating off. The mainproblem is that the user has to watch all the settings mentioned above and AI isn't bothered with this.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2021, 02:10:07 PM »

Don't know where to find it, but this problem was adressed earlier and the advice than was turn overheating off. The mainproblem is that the user has to watch all the settings mentioned above and AI isn't bothered with this.

I have indeed turned overheating off. But it feels like I am cheating just a tad too much ... ha ha.

That said, the AI sure does cheat. No matter what plane it flies, mono or biplane, they always seem to go as fast as I go and climb faster and higher.

Taypay

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2021, 12:39:14 PM »

The Throttle controls how the Manifold Pressure Gauge works....start your engine on the ground,set your chocks...watch how the gauge changes as you increase or decrease the Throttle position
Set the Prop Pitch to control how much power is delivered to the Prop...The engine can and will produce enough power to frag it's self...that is why the prop is used to control how much power is safely available
Semper Fi
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 24 queries.