Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bombing Pain  (Read 470 times)

Just John

Bombing Pain
« on: October 12, 2021, 06:14:08 PM »

well then i just found out today that bombing is actually a very difficult task, you gotta keep your plane trimmed, fiddle with the engines and battle high altitude winds and cant forget keep an eye for other bombers in your formation, i downloaded this B24j campaign that is set in 1943 and so far im on the 3rd mission and haven't hit a single target yet (besides some poor French villages and cattle farms). can any vets give me tips on how to bomb properly and at least hit my targets a few feet away instead of miles? so far i know how the bomb sight works and and keep a constant altitude what im having trouble with is again battling high winds and keep the plane on a straight path. i noticed that when i activated the vertical stabilizer the plane tends to turn on a slight left angle and so far i haven't been able to make it stop. what are you guys secret for heavy long range bombers? im a rookie so if you have anything it would really help me out alot.

SAS~vampire_pilot

• SAS Team
  • a million fixes
Re: Bombing Pain
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 10:32:59 PM »

You are doing the work a ten man crew is doing, all on your own. So it's okay to take a shortcut with horizontal stabilizer. What you experience is a torque drift, that is not countered. You can counter that by rudder trim.

Getting closer to target and to do the final line-up you hand over to gunsight mode. You put on horizontal stab and only steer with rudder trim. To line up, only very smooth and small motions are best.

Of course, flying this is easier in a lead position! It removes the pressure to stay in formation. IRL, a pilot, co pilot and a bombardier can look out for different things, like formation keeping, airspeed, etc... and the pilot can take care of all that and they communicate. You can't do that alone.

Epervier

• 4.09 Guardian Angel !
  • SAS Team
  • I'm French and Rebel_409! Nobody is perfect!
    • Some tinkering here
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 01:20:53 AM »

... i downloaded this B24j campaign that is set in 1943 and so far im on the 3rd mission and haven't hit a single target yet (besides some poor French villages and cattle farms).
:D
So you do as bad as the real bombers during WWII !  ;)
When I lived in Cognac (Charentes - France), some "old people" told me that the allies came to bomb the Cognac base (FW-200).
It was very frequent (every time in fact) that the bombs fell more than 10 km from the target !
This was always the case with the American bombers who were never able to bomb an elephant's ass in a corridor !  :D

So don't despair !   8)
If your results are not up to your expectations, tell yourself that as large oak was once an acorn ...

cbradbury

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 02:12:32 AM »

Also, don't run before you can walk. Set up a training mission for one aircraft to practise. Then missions with just a few aircraft next. This is not un-historical - many early war missions involved anything from three to six aircraft, and this continued even longer on North Africa.

Finally, take a look at OBOE in the CinC options - there is a reason why it was introduced!

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 07:11:09 AM »

This might help...

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,52965.msg576124.html#msg576124

NOTE:  This instruction was done pre-BAT and the 'salvo' option didn't exist for me at the time.

Just John

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 10:35:43 AM »

wow everyone gave me some good stuff, ill read them carefully when i get home from work, cant wait to try it out ingame i missed alot

asheshouse

• SAS Team
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 03:29:40 AM »

This was always the case with the American bombers who were never able to bomb an elephant's ass in a corridor !  :D

This would be an example of the USAAF's much vaunted precision bombing I guess. :D

cbradbury

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 05:21:45 AM »

I always smile at the fact that the Germans thought the Allies were bombing crops to cause starvation when all they hit was fields...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 24 queries.