Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Birdman's list of BAT 4.2 bugs, fixes and wishes  (Read 666 times)

Birdman

• SAS Honourable Member
Birdman's list of BAT 4.2 bugs, fixes and wishes
« on: September 30, 2021, 01:58:36 AM »

I'm trying to get started with IL-2 again after a long break due to my carefully tested and bugfixed custom DBW crashing into the java wall and BAT getting messy with many fixes missing. I thought I'd post here whenever I find some issue or missing useful mod so that I can remember them and others can know and hopefully help fixing them. I'll try to fix as many of the bugs as I can and hopefully find some time to dig my old fixes out of my DBW also, but hopefully others can also help fixing the bugs.

Bugs in WAW:
- I-16 Type5 engine sound issue
Code: [Select]
SectFile load failed: null
java.io.FileNotFoundException
at com.maddox.rts.SFSInputStream.<init>(SFSInputStream.java:47)
at com.maddox.rts.SFSReader.<init>(SFSReader.java:19)
at com.maddox.rts.SectFile.loadFile(SectFile.java:227)
at com.maddox.rts.SectFile.loadFile(SectFile.java:154)
at com.maddox.rts.SectFile.<init>(SectFile.java:126)
at com.maddox.rts.SectFile.<init>(SectFile.java:86)
at com.maddox.sound.SoundPreset.<init>(SoundPreset.java:77)
at com.maddox.sound.SoundPreset.get(SoundPreset.java:107)
at com.maddox.sound.SoundFX.<init>(SoundFX.java:47)
at com.maddox.il2.engine.Actor.newSound(Actor.java:646)
at com.maddox.il2.objects.sounds.MotorSound.<init>(MotorSound.java:56)
at com.maddox.il2.objects.sounds.SndAircraft.initSound(SndAircraft.java:366)
at com.maddox.il2.objects.air.Aircraft.setFM(Aircraft.java:1714)
at com.maddox.il2.objects.air.Aircraft.setFM(Aircraft.java:1677)
at com.maddox.il2.objects.air.Aircraft.load(Aircraft.java:2082)
at com.maddox.il2.game.Mission.loadAir(Mission.java:1324)
at com.maddox.il2.ai.Wing.load(Wing.java:143)
at com.maddox.il2.game.Mission.loadWings(Mission.java:1095)
at com.maddox.il2.game.Mission._load(Mission.java:667)
at com.maddox.il2.game.Mission.access$600(Mission.java:124)
at com.maddox.il2.game.Mission$BackgroundLoader.run(Mission.java:412)
at com.maddox.rts.BackgroundTask.doRun(BackgroundTask.java:155)
at com.maddox.il2.game.MainWin3D.loopApp(MainWin3D.java:108)
at com.maddox.il2.game.Main.exec(Main.java:422)
at com.maddox.il2.game.GameWin3D.main(GameWin3D.java:235)
Cannot load sound preset motor.biM-100_Series (java.lang.Exception: Invalid preset format)
- Loading I-16 Type5 in dump mode in QMB causes crash to desktop as the only plane although she loads fine without dumping and SPB version dumps fine likely with the same 3D. Nothing gets logged in log.lst before crash, so I may have to look elsewhere to find some error messages. Fixed by renaming one custom skin with odd name.
- Dumping option of selector unnecessarily dumps all skins in PaintSchemes\Skins folder while loading planes in QMB preview.
- Ju 87 A default skin is for B version and has quite significant issues in nose.

Fixes:

Useful additions:
- Polikarpov ITP https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,67294.0.html
- Beriev Be-6 https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,67270.0.html
- Hawker Fury 3D update https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,67413.0.html
- B7A2 with new 3D by 101tfs https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,63154.0.html or maybe even better with fixes from UltraPack
- AT-11 Kansan and Blackburn Botha  https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,61546.0.html
- de Havilland Hornets also to WAW module because Bearcat, Tigercat and late Japanese fighters are already included
- Farman NC223 family https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,63067.0.html
- Fiat G18V https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,61145.0.html
- Ki-43-III Ko https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,32083.0.html
- Ki-43-IIIb Otsu by Barnesy12
- Ki-44-I Ko https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,48905.0.html
- La-9 and La-11 also to WAW module because all other late prop fighters are getting included
- Ki-79 family by Barnesy12
- More Pe-2 versions including one with radial engines https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,36687.0.html
- PV1 Ventura upgrade https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,62755.0.html
- Flyable version of E13A https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,46657.36.html if some version is good enough

I've installed these and I'm testing how well they work. Likely at least some java rework is needed before they're fully compatible with java wall fix and other BAT features.

Questions:
- I've read some discussion about BAT WAW getting close to the java wall again, but is disabling air.ini entries of unnecessary planes enough to avoid those issues or do I have to disable other references also like stationary planes? High FPS is very important for me, so I hope to keep all non-finished planes and unnecessary variants disabled so that I can keep all nice planes without splitting WAW. I may also have missed some important threads or information about this issue.
- I'd like to get less flashing textures for rotating props and remove lots of dark smoke from machine gun firing because those are annoying compared to my old DBW. I found old rotating prop textures from DBW files quickly and that helped with most planes, but some seem to use their own textures. I remember seeing machine gun smoke fix somewhere on forum, but can't find it easily enough now, so can smoeone help? Maybe I should just test WxTech's Effects Pack, but I'd like to wait until classfiles are fully compatible with BAT v4.2.
- UltraPack and other modules of BAT have some planes I'd like to extract and add to WAW and that should be easy enough for 3D and classfiles after dumping, but I'm not sure how to extract COD loadout file for those planes. Maybe I'll have to use other versions or wait for stand-alone releases.

SAS~vampire_pilot

• SAS Team
  • a million fixes
Re: Birdman's list of BAT 4.2 bugs, fixes and wishes
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 02:03:51 AM »

- Loading I-16 Type5 in dump mode in QMB causes crash to desktop as the only plane although she loads fine without dumping and SPB version dumps fine likely with the same 3D. Nothing gets logged in log.lst before crash, so I may have to look elsewhere to find some error messages.

Sorry, can not confirm. All the type 5 versions load in dump mode.
If you have a heavily modded install, please verify clean before posting

about BAT WAW getting close to the java wall again,

As I already replied in PM (? why again?), we have established that we are not.

My own average FPS is 130 and beyond in WAW, with my GPU almost maxed out in postrender settings.
Results differ with:
-Extremely populated maps
-Extreme effect use
-Extremely diverse populated missions.

Birdman

• SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 02:34:54 AM »

- Loading I-16 Type5 in dump mode in QMB causes crash to desktop as the only plane although she loads fine without dumping and SPB version dumps fine likely with the same 3D. Nothing gets logged in log.lst before crash, so I may have to look elsewhere to find some error messages.

Sorry, can not confirm. All the type 5 versions load in dump mode.
If you have a heavily modded install, please verify clean before posting
That dumping was before I changed anything at all to get files of clean install for comparison. For me that one plane causes crash every time whereas all others dumped fine, but maybe it's something related to my system then. I get crash with Norway and USSR as country, but files get dumped fine from SPB slot. Anyway, I got the files, so not really any issue for me anymore, but I just wanted to know whether others can reproduce it to possibly reveal some interesting issue.

about BAT WAW getting close to the java wall again,

As I already replied in PM (? why again?), we have established that we are not.

My own average FPS is 130 and beyond in WAW, with my GPU almost maxed out in postrender settings.
Results differ with:
-Extremely populated maps
-Extreme effect use
-Extremely diverse populated missions.
OK, likely nothing to worry about the java wall then if WAW and TGA run at similar FPS. Maybe I'll just have to upgrade my CPU then because I'm still using the same old i7-2600K and GTX 980 whereas detail of planes and likely ground objects also is now maybe 10-100x higher and I've doubled resolution to 4K. Of course, effects, AI and many other things are also different in BAT than my old DBW, so maybe I got unnecessarily worried about FPS drops below 60 while heavy bombing of heavily populated airfield and flying over large cities.

Likely I'll then just hide planes with NOQUICK in air.ini or add (franken), (alpha) or (WIP) in the end of plane names or create separate franken section.

SAS~vampire_pilot

• SAS Team
  • a million fixes
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 02:37:05 AM »

for personal curiosity I just played a B-17-heavy intercept mission.  Some 25-30 bombers, some 45-50 planes overall with fighters of both sides. Even inside the bomber stream with contrails, I was seeing 70-90 FPS. Close up when guns firing, I was going as low as 40 but never had visible stutter.
That's as good as I'd expect. Lowest FPS around 35 I saw on the ground on a heavily populated Airfield with moving objects and HD map textures.

FPS drops below 60 while heavy bombing of heavily populated airfield and flying over large cities.

Effects and a great many HT textured an densely populated maps do that, and always have.
I don't know, you'd need exact benchmarks inside the exact same environment in various modpacks (exact same maps and objects, meshes and textures, also effects) to get a valid result in comparison. Gut feeling is not a good tool when there's 10+ years of modding between the same effects, maps and objects ...

Birdman

• SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 02:51:04 AM »

for personal curiosity I just played a B-17-heavy intercept mission.  Some 25-30 bombers, some 45-50 planes overall with fighters of both sides. Even inside the bomber stream with contrails, I was seeing 70-90 FPS. Close up when guns firing, I was going as low as 40 but never had visible stutter.
That's as good as I'd expect. Lowest FPS around 35 I saw on the ground on a heavily populated Airfield with moving objects and HD map textures.
My problem is that I try to keep 60 FPS with vsync and already 55-58 FPS messes up my head very quickly because of skipped frames and anything below 55 FPS always stutters heavily for my eyes. I've never been able to watch any 24 FPS movies with significant movement and even 50 FPS TV isn't smooth enough unless it gets interpolated to 100 FPS by my TV set. Maybe I'll just try to keep missions simple until competition between Intel and AMD gives some nice next-gen CPU with great single thread performance. Hopefully I can somehow know whether nice IPC of Alder Lake or large cache of Ryzen is better with BAT.

Anyway, with my DBW I was having reduced FPS because of java wall for many years but also 1920x1200 resolution without any HD textures was less heavy than 4K with HD textures I use in the BAT era, so likely reasons of FPS drops are quite different now. I just hope FPS drops aren't because of updated higher detail objects without LODs or some unnecessarily heavy effects.

SAS~vampire_pilot

• SAS Team
  • a million fixes
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 03:11:40 AM »

You set a very high threshold for this game then.
I am cautious about adding effects but HD map textures and population are definitely a thing in BAT since the DBW days.

SAS~Storebror

• retired
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 04:46:08 AM »

Nothing gets logged in log.lst before crash, so I may have to look elsewhere to find some error messages.
Open cmd.exe and run the game by entering "console.exe" instead of "il2fb.exe".
That will get you the full error output regardless the severity of crash.

]cheers[
Mike
You live, you learn, you love, you're dead.

Birdman

• SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 05:13:05 AM »

Nothing gets logged in log.lst before crash, so I may have to look elsewhere to find some error messages.
Open cmd.exe and run the game by entering "console.exe" instead of "il2fb.exe".
That will get you the full error output regardless the severity of crash.

]cheers[
Mike

Still remains mystery even with that trick:
Code: [Select]
Direct sound audio device initialized successfully :
DX Version : 7
Hardware    - disabled [buffers : 0]
Extensions  - enabled :
  EAX ver. 1 [ ]  - disabled
  EAX ver. 2 [ ]  - disabled
  EAX ver. 3 [ ]  - disabled
  I3D ver. 2 [ ]  - disabled
  ZoomFX     [ ]  - disabled
  MacroFX    [ ]  - disabled
SIMD render [X]
num channels 32
Cannot open audio file samples/infinite 1

Extracting file: dump/PaintSchemes/Skins/I-16type5/I-16%20Tipo%205_%20Serial%207.bmp

F:\IL-2 BAT>

I just went into QMB, chose USSR I-16 Type5 as friendly flight with default loadout and tried to open preview to cause the crash.

No crash if I do the same with SPB version or any other plane, but then it crashes if I select normal Type5 in preview window with similar end of console output. No idea why it extracts that skin, though, because I have default skin selected when I checked without dumping.

SAS~Storebror

• retired
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2021, 05:21:48 AM »

Ah, that reminds me that I need to provide a new Selector where the dump feature skips the PaintSchemes folder.
Anyway... something you can try is: Rename the folder "I-16type5" in "PaintSchemes/Skins" to "-I-16type5" and try dumping the same plane again.

]cheers[
Mike
You live, you learn, you love, you're dead.

Birdman

• SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2021, 05:29:03 AM »

I actually renamed that one skin without those %20 and dumping doesn't crash anymore. So looks like whole skin folder gets dumped while browsing planes and that one skin had something in its file name that caused CTD without any error message. Now I'll have to delete "PaintSchemes/Skins" in dump folder to get enough space on my SSD for dumping UltraPack planes for comparison. Hopefully large files already available outside sfs packages like custom skins wouldn't be dumped by future versions anymore.

SAS~vampire_pilot

• SAS Team
  • a million fixes
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2021, 05:33:18 AM »

note to self:

"-" out the whole PaintSchemes folder before a dump session.

bomberkiller

• Treffen sich zwei Jäger...!
  • Modder
  • Bf-109G-6/R6 = Bomber Killer
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2021, 05:58:14 AM »

...because I'm still using the same old i7-2600K and GTX 980

Hello Birdman,

it is a pleasure to see you again here at SAS!

Don't be angry with me, my PC is very old, Intel Quad core 2400 and Nvidia 670GTX - IL-2 I fly with AA x4.

Fortunately, I don't have your health problem (eye problem below 55 fps), but I never count the frame rate in the game, I don't care.

If nothing jerks I am happy - so I am happy. It makes absolutely no sense to fly low over Berlin or Moscow with my equipment

or flying over areas where there is a lot of smoke on the ground, I know that - so I avoid it!

Thank you for your contribution here, it is very interesting for me.

FAC N° 9 ...cheers mein Schatz
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 23 queries.