Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendation for hardware upgrades.  (Read 381 times)

JohnnyWingnut

Recommendation for hardware upgrades.
« on: July 05, 2021, 04:18:07 PM »

Hi all,
I'm not really a new member, but I've been away for quite a long time. I recently acquired a PC from a friend and it is going to be getting some upgrading. It has an AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 8GB of DDR4 RAM at 2400. and NVIDIA GTX 1050TI with 4GB.

I've played the Dark Blue World mod since it came out. I also have IL2 Cliffs of Dover (Blitz) but it barely ran on my prior pc. Last night I downloaded and installed BAT. I also plan on adding Tobruk mod to IL2 COD. I'd like to add IL2 Battle of Stalingrad series to my library but I was wondering what recommendations people might have regarding RAM for this PC that I was given.

Would 16GB do well for BOS? I'm also going to be doing DAW music recording as my other hobby is guitar, so I was already thinking maybe I should consider 32GB of RAM.

On a side note, my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick is dying. I've been looking at the Thrustmaster T16000M and the TM Warthog. I'm considering getting the VKB T Rudders as well. I already have a trottle quadrant, although it has been problematic with DBW. I haven't used the quadrant but a few times although I will be giving it another go in the near future.  Any gear recommendations are most welcome. Sorry if this was hard to follow. I'm very tired.

SAS~Storebror

• retired
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
Re: Recommendation for hardware upgrades.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 10:52:17 PM »

I'd like to add IL2 Battle of Stalingrad series to my library but I was wondering what recommendations people might have regarding RAM for this PC that I was given.

Would 16GB do well for BOS?
8GB would be enough for BOS.
16GB is way enough.

I'm also going to be doing DAW music recording as my other hobby is guitar, so I was already thinking maybe I should consider 32GB of RAM.
8GB is enough by far for DAW music recording, unless you're a famous music producer with terabytes of hits you want to remix.
The only thing that asked for more than 16GB on my PC in the past 10 years was/is MSFS 2020.

I'm considering getting the VKB T Rudders
They have no brakes.
Get the MFG Crosswind instead. Seriously. It's just 80 bucks on top and you won't regret it.
https://mfg-sim.com/en/rudders/1-mfg-crosswind-v3-graphite.html
https://mfg-sim.com/en/rudders/2-mfg-crosswind-v2-grey.html

]cheers[
Mike
You live, you learn, you love, you're dead.

Johnny Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 06:06:34 PM »

Thanks for the response. I had already ordered 32gb of RAM prior to your reply however. I was talking to a buddy of mine who plays DCS world and he suggested going for more than 16gb of RAM. I do plan on getting into DCS, so I figured better safe than sorry.

I did check out the MFG Crosswind rudder pedals. They listed at $336 minus tax and shipping from Croatia to the U.S. The VKB are $215 minus tax, and shipping from China.

My only experience with rudder pedals was with old CH pedal that didn't have brakes. This was over 20 years ago. For years I've been using an old Logitech Extreme 3d joystick with twist for rudders. The stick is very old, and has finally bit the dust. I figured this was a good time to get back into pedals.

While I'm sure the Crosswinds are fantastic pedals, I don't know that they'd be worth the extra $121 to someone that has never used toe brakes.

I'm open to anyone sharing why I may want to pay an extra $120+ for something I've never experienced.

Thanks again

SAS~Storebror

• retired
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 10:45:58 PM »

I don't know much about DCS RAM usage, just found MSFS2020 to crack the 16GB barrier lately but DCS might indeed be another candidate.
Now that you get your 32 Gigs anyway, just feel happy about them. I've got a total of 48GB, and 99% of times 40 of them are unused ;)

As for the rudder pedals: Using pedals when you came from a twisting stick will turn the whole flight sim genre into something completely new.
I've been in the same situation, got my MFG pedals in December and I don't regret a single penny spent on them.
Before that, I used the twisting grip of my X52 Pro, but that's not even remotely the same.

One important thing about tow brakes is: You get differential brakes.
Not that it would matter too much in IL-2 1946 - taxiing is a piece of cake here anyway - but wait until you get to DCS.

My take on spending money in the range of what you have to pay for rudder pedals like VKB or MFG is this:
It's a game.
It's a gimmick.
Spending so much money on it is pure madness.
But if I'm mad, I want to be mad in perfection.

]cheers[
Mike
You live, you learn, you love, you're dead.

blackshark

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 02:25:13 AM »

Hi, may I use this thread to ask a tip about an upgrade for joystick and throttle ?

I see you will buy T16000M for the joystick and TM Warthog just for the throttle, right ?
That's because today I use the T16000M and the throttle of X52 PRO.
I prefer the T16000m (very good in my opinion) as joystick because the X52 PRO stick is too weak/soft.
I am almost happy with the X52 throttle too, so I ask your opinion if the Warthog throttle (just throttle) can/should improve a lot the feeling and pleasure with IL2-1946 (non interested in other sims)
What about the Warthog Stick compared to the t16000m ?

About the pedals, I have the "old" logitech pedals (the Pro Fligh basic model); do you think the pedals you talked about can improve a lot the feeling with IL2-1946 ?

As Storebror wrote it's just for fun; but maybe I want to improve my fun; just to understand if in your opinion I can improve it a lot with an upgrade to warthog plus new pedals ?

Johnny Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 02:41:04 AM »

Hello Blackshark,
I am looking at purchasing either the Thrustmaster T16000M joystick, or the Thrustmaster Warthog joystick. I already have a  Logitech throttle quadrant, so I'm not looking to buy another throttle right now. I'm still using my Logitech Extreme 3d Pro joystick which has a throttle problem. As for your question about the X52 throttle vs the TM Warthog throttle. I haven't used either, but I suppose it would depend on whether or not the number of switches/buttons on your throttle are adequate. As for the rudder pedals, I have used pedals in the past, and yes they definitely make for a better experience. Other priorities, as well as other costly hobbies, have kept me from buying a set of pedals for many years.

I hope I've helped in some way.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 23 queries.