Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P-40 canopy being ripped off if open above 450 kph  (Read 585 times)

WxTech

• Modder
P-40 canopy being ripped off if open above 450 kph
« on: May 23, 2021, 02:02:01 PM »

Introduced somewhere along the way in P-40.class is a check for the canopy being opened when speed is >450 kph (plus or minus a bit based on randomness); if so, the canopy is torn away. But only the external model of the canopy goes; the internal model remains stuck in place.

I suggest that either this check be disabled or the internal model of the canopy be made to go as well.

Do any other planes also impose such a check? I've never encountered such instances. If this is the only plane to do, then in the interest of consistency this should probably be nixed.

By the way, it was with some mod (probably the first opening canopy mod) back when still flying 4.08 that I encountered this canopy thing. At that time I raised the speed threshold very considerably as a quick way to effectively disable the tearing away of the canopy. I just tried to fix this, along with 'strengthening' the engine, in BAT, but the game is now blind to my modded class.  :(
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

Epervier

• 4.09 Guardian Angel !
  • SAS Team
  • I'm French and Rebel_409! Nobody is perfect!
    • Some tinkering here
Re: P-40 canopy being ripped off if open above 450 kph
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 04:15:20 PM »

From memory, all FW-190s (Claymore pack) have the canopy that tears off (external + internal view).  ;)
If your results do not live up to your expectations, tell yourself that the great oak was once an acorn too. - Lao Zi -

HaFu1939

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 12:08:00 AM »

All Bf 109s have the same feature, opened canopy is teared off in around 230 kph. In this case you can see it from both internal and external views. Although in B.A.T. is a problem with closing canopies in .ntrk files, this has nothing to do with this feature, which I personally find very instructive 😊
Please, in the interest of accuracy this should probably be preserved.
Regards,
HaFu1939

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 02:31:50 AM »

The way the 109's canopy hinges is certainly inviting damage at any significant speed. That makes complete sense.

In the case of the P-40, only from the E on is this check performed. The earlier variants have no such check performed. Those Bs, Cs, Tomahawks, Hawk81s, Hawk75s and P-36s should also suffer speed limits. If consistency is desirable, then these--and a great many other planes--should have such a test incorporated. My gripe has to do with the extremely limited number of planes having this performed for, which makes them the 'odd men out'. Having to remember the speed limits for just a limited, artificially selective sample is a not fair imposition.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 26 queries.