Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Spitfire MKXIV Weapons Loadout  (Read 1623 times)

ssn637

• Men mean more than guns in the rating of a ship
Spitfire MKXIV Weapons Loadout
« on: May 04, 2021, 08:48:11 AM »

I'm not sure if this should be posted here as a BAT technical issue, but I've noted an error with the Spitfire LF MKXIVC/E weapons load out. 

When selecting a weapons load out from the drop down list I'm given the option of carrying 2 250-lb bombs.  However, if I select this load out I'm provided with only one bomb.  In addition, with the LF MKXIVE I'm given 280 20-mm Hispanic cannon rounds rather than the default 240 rounds.  So I've been taking advantage of this anomaly by loading up with one 250-lb bomb, ditching it as soon as I'm safely over neutral territory and enjoying the additional 40 20-mm round surplus!  I noted that HSFX 7.0.3 doesn't have this anomaly, and the drop-down lists for the MKXIVC/E models give 1x250-lb bomb as an option rather than 2x, which I assume is correct, although the newly-introduced MK XIV in IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles also provides a loadout of 2x 250-lb bombs as an option.

I would also like to request a modification that allows us to select the .50 calibre machine guns in place of the .303 calibre in the MKXIVC variant, since the smaller calibre guns are useless and were either removed completely or replaced with the larger calibre guns in the field (this option is, by the way, available to anyone flying the Spitfire MKXIV variants in IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles, along with a default 20-mm load out of 300 rounds).  If I select the Spitfire FR_MkXIVE (non clipped wing FR variant) I am given the .50 calibre machine guns, which I assume along with the bubble canopy was a field modification.  However, I have added a bit of color to the original Spitfire MKXIVC/E and MKXVI cockpits (oxygen, radiator, oil temperature gauges rather than their default black) and I haven't been able to find the cockpit folder associated with the Spitfire FR_MkXIVE / CW models, even after extracting every SFS file in the BAT00, BAT03 and BAT03B folders.  Does anyone know which cockpit folder is used when modeling the Spitfire FR MKXIVE / CW aircraft in the game?  I'd love to be able to add those colored gauges to their cockpits as well!

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Vampire_pilot

Re: Spitfire MKXIV Weapons Loadout
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 03:28:13 AM »

I can look into those loadout files and see what can be straightened out.

I'd book it as a case of organic weed build up over the decades of Spitfire modding on top of each other. The bomb is apparently just a typo in the weapons properties. There only is one bomb hook on this model.

ssn637

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 03:39:35 AM »

Thank you!

I took a quick look at what tools are necessary to modify the load outs in the class files but soon realised I'd better leave that to an expert!  But I was able to modify the Weapons.properties file easily in Notepad (yes, there was a typo there).

By the way, I forgot to mention that the elevator trim indicator in the Spitfire (all variants as far as I could tell) isn't working.  I added the necessary files (e.g. tex15.tga) from the Spitfire MKVIII cockpit update (provided by Barnesy) along with the coloured gauges to the MKXIVC and LF MKXIVE cockpit folders as a MOD, but can't find the cockpit folders for the FR variants.  Perhaps you could check the elevator trim indicator as well while you're at it? 

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 03:47:07 AM »

it would help to know the class names for the planes you are looking at. Otherwise you are simply confusing a non expert.

ssn637

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 04:32:17 AM »

OK, I can tell I'm going to get in trouble here.  I'm definitely not an expert! 

To get the trim indicator working in the Spitfire MKVIII, MKIXC, LF MKXIVE, MKXIVC and MKXVI cockpits, I simply added the following files as a BATMODS addition to the associated cockpit folders (3do/Cockpit/SpitfireMKVIII) as an example:

text15.tga
text15.mat
text15_night.tga
text15_night.mat

Those files were provided by Barnesy in his excellent Spitfire MKVIII update.  The appropriate cockpit folder names I found by extracting the SFS files and noting their correct nomenclature / format.  But I haven't been able to find the cockpit folders that the FR variants use, since as far as I know there are no folders labeled "SpitfireFR_MkXIVE" in any of the SFS files. 

I don't know if there are any HEX files associated with these and didn't really care because they simply work. 

By the way, I am loving this BAT simulation and wanted to thank you and the other developers here for all your hard work!  In my opinion this game is much more enjoyable than the "new" IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles version! 

Cheers

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 06:11:27 AM »

The path is 3DO/Cockpit/SpitfireFRXIVE/hier.him

Would you send me the mod you have made? Would be interesting for the next update

ssn637

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 06:54:51 AM »

That worked!  Thank you so much!!!

I just needed the correct folder name "SpitfireFRXIVE" and was able to get a working trim indicator, clock and coloured gauges from Barnesy's Spitfire MKVIII Upgrade, Dr. Strangelove's Spitfire Clock mod and my own coloured gauges, with differences between the oil and water temperature gauges (square yellow and blue) for the Griffons.  I'll be glad to send them all to you but take no credit for either Barnesy or Dr. Strangelove.  If you don't like the gauges then just discard them, but the clock and trim indicators are definitely a worthy upgrade to these cockpits.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/bwefpntqxckgw6q/%2521_%2521_%2521_Spitfire_Cockpits.zip/file

Griffon Spitfires

Spitfire MK IX

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 08:04:21 AM »

nice addition, thanks. I do prefer the gauges black though.

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 04:05:52 AM »

So, I'll exchange the .30 cals with .50 cals and even the ammo count on the 20mm to always be 140 rpg. There's no obvious reasons why this differs across the loadouts.

ssn637

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 12:49:15 AM »

Thank you!

That sounds much better than adding the .50 calibre guns ("E Wing" option) to the drop-down list for the MK XIVC, since I doubt if anyone would prefer the standard .303 machine gun load out!  And the additional 20 mm rounds are appreciated, although the standard load out was 120 rpg as far as I've been able to find.

The trim indicator and clock are also recommended, although the clock only works in the original Spitfire MK XIVC and LF MKXIVE cockpits, since they require the hex files I provided, although I'm sure someone here could create additional hex files needed for the other cockpits. 

I'm sorry you didn't like my coloured gauges, but I did try to match the originals from the Spitfire MK IXe cockpit, except for the oxygen gauges, with the blue kinda being my own touch.  I admit that they're too bright, especially the yellow and lime green borders, but if anyone here would take on the task of improving them I'd be grateful. 

After flying a bit with the FR MKXIV variants, both clipped-wing and standard, I much prefer the other Griffons.  The FR flight models are quite a bit different, perhaps due to the additional fuel tank in the rear fuselage, and I've found them to be a big sluggish, requiring on average about 10% more throttle for equivalent speeds.  For example, my standard procedure for landing the LF MKXIVE is to approach the runway from a distance of 5 km, altitude 300 m, with an initial speed of 200 kmh, at which point I immediately drop my landing gear and flaps while maintaining the throttle at 35% on the way in.  This allows the plane to descend at 3 m/s and places me right over the runway at 180 kmh or less.  If I need to maintain altitude and speed to correct the flight path I just throttle up to 45%.  With the FR MKXIVE I need about 45% throttle in the descent and 55% to maintain speed and altitude.  I also need a lot more elevator trim to keep the nose down on the FR models, which seems excessive to me, and I've actually stalled a couple of times in the non clipped-wing version, which NEVER happens to me with the earlier Griffons. 

Cheers

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2021, 12:54:31 AM »

I am not an expert on the type, so 120rpg it will be.

The coloring is personal taste I suppose, unless you tell me 80% of the planes had that.

ssn637

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 01:24:40 AM »

Here's a photo of an actual Spitfire cockpit, where the gauges in the lower right panel are not all black.  Admittedly, the oxygen gauges on the left were not blue.  But as you can see, they're much more subdued than those I modified, so I don't really see a need for you to change them unless someone can provide a better match. 

Cheers

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/07/anatomy-of-spitfire-cockpit.html/02es09_016?replytocom=1578
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 27 queries.