Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Romanian WW1 Aircraft Skin Pack  (Read 5258 times)

Alin_Alexandru

Romanian WW1 Aircraft Skin Pack
« on: May 03, 2021, 06:35:35 AM »

This is a skin pack for the Romanian planes of WW1 to 1920 I made seeing how there are next to no WW1 Romanian skins. The skins are based on descriptions from various modelling magazines, sites and original photographs. The zip can be downloaded here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/odskn1av5s7sprm/RO_Skins.zip/file

Pack Number 2 is also done, more info on the second page. It can be downloaded here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/zo0yhx7ixam0dvd/RO_Skins1.zip/file

Pack Number 3, with early campaign skins and a pilot skin, more info on page 3, download link right here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/9dr3jevmzohy7gg/RO_Skins2.zip/file

This pack contains the following skins:
-Nieuport 11, unknown pilot

-Nieuport 11 number 865, flown by Sergent Henri Tresch of Nieuport 3 (N.3) squadron. During the war a good number of French pilots served in the Romanian Air Force, both as regular pilots and officers(a notable French pilot in Romania being Maurice Roch Gond, commander of N.3 squadron, who scored 6 victories), so that's why you'd see some French marked planes flying for Romania as in many of the squadrons there were both Romanian and French pilots.

-Nieuport 11 "Bm"(?), part of Nieuport 1 (N.1) squadron, unknown pilot. Again a French marked plane.

-Nieuport 11 number 1534, flown by Captain Vasile Craiu of Nieuport 10 (N.10) squadron in the summer of 1917. His plane is also surprisingly painted in French markings, so it could be that he shared the aircraft with a French pilot, could also be that he had his own plane but had to take someone else's during these missions. He scored a total of 3 victories, 1 shared.

-Nieuport 11 number 993(?), flown by Sublocotenent Marin Popescu of Nieuport 11 (N.11) squadron (one of the Romanian aces of WW1 with 5 air victories, including an observation balloon shot down using "Le Prieur" rockets).
He would be counted as an ace by French, British, Italian (so pretty much Entente) standards however not by Romanian ones. Unlike the rest of the scoring standards Romanian ones did not count shared victories, if for a victory the one who delivered the killing blow could not be determined, the victory was assigned to the squadron, not the individual pilots, Popescu here had a shared victory so his count would be only 4. This was the main problem in determining the actual aces from Romania in WW1 as many of their kills were shared. By those standards, Bădulescu was the only Romanian ace with 5 confirmed, 3 unconfirmed victories.

-Nieuport 17, generic skin.

-Nieuport 17 number 1313(?), flown by Plutonier Ion Muntenescu of Nieuport 11 (N.11) squadron. He achieved 2 air victories in the same mission. He died on the 10 November 1917 in combat. Edit: Nieuport number 1313 was actually Maurice Roch Gond's, the commander of N.3 squadron, aircraft. Apparently it was confused with Muntenescu's, probably because the two squadrons had the same airfield.

-Nieuport 17 number 4027, flown by Captain Vasile Craiu in 1918 (he died in a crash on 24 august 1918 while flying on this plane)

-Nieuport 24bis, unknown pilot.

-Farman F.40, unknown squadron.

-Farman F.40 "Angela", part of Farman 6 (F.6) squadron (Sublocotenent Dumitru Bădulescu flew on this aircraft on several missions, he was an air observer and one of the other Romanian aces of WW1 with 5 confirmed and 3 unconfirmed air victories).

-Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter, part of Sopwith 12 (S.12) squadron, autumn 1917.

-SPAD VII, flown by Atanase "Tase" Rotaru, 1919. The plane was sent as a gift to Romania in early 1919 with the condition to be given to 'the most deserving pilot' and Atanase Rotaru was chosen. He painted a deer as a personal emblem on the plane.

-SPAD VII "Jannette" number 70.., flown by Captain Vasilescu, 1920.

-SPAD XIII, a more generic skin based on photographs of various Romanian SPAD XIIIs.

-SPAD XIII number 1105, unknown squadron.

-SPAD XIII, flown by Captain Friedrich Rostoski (an Austro-Hungarian pilot that later served in the Romanian Air Force), he also appeared with the name Fritz Rosztocki, so he probably changed his name or one of the versions is wrong.

-Breguet 14B2, received from the French during the war of 1919.

-Fokker D.VII MAG number 93.18, one of the MAG Fokkers captured from the Hungarian Red Air Force in 1919.

Hope you like the skins :)

And thank you again, stiv_069 for the templates!

stiv_069

• Skinner
Re: Romanian WW1 Aircraft Skin Pack
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 08:48:46 AM »

Great skins! Thank you!

Отличные скины! Спасибо!

stiv_069

• Skinner
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 08:51:24 AM »

I drew all the other templates too.)

Все остальные шаблоны тоже я рисовал.)

Alin_Alexandru

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 08:56:23 AM »

Oh, nice, thank you for all the templates then!

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 12:23:07 PM »

Excellent, thank you very much, really appreciated. 8)

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

dona

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 01:27:19 PM »

Nice skin art!

Andy H

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 01:34:31 PM »

Nice! Thank you very much.  :)

David Prosser

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 07:27:16 PM »

Cool, I wish I'd had these when I did a Rumanian WWI campaign a couple of years back. For a Bulgarian pack; the Maltese crosses can be altered
 to look right. I've done a couple of missions for a Bulgarian campaign in Salonika. The player will be flying the AGO CII, Roland DII, Albatroa DIIs, and DIIIs. Looks like they had a post WWI conflict with Hungary. I'll check that out later.

EDIT: I did check it out. There is a good Wikipedia article, and a map. The Hungarian Soviet government had some Antaras. The Romanisns had two air units. The Caucusus map has the exact location. So, I'll do a short two seater campaign. Expect to wait more than a couple of weeks though.

cheers

David

Yaro59

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 01:01:21 AM »

Thank you for putting in the effort, very useful paintings for creating missions and campaigns. Regards.

Alfie Noakes

• Art Director
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 01:28:43 AM »

Excellent skins  :-*

Many thanks for your work !

Cheers

Alfie
Everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds

Alin_Alexandru

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 08:26:50 AM »

Thank you all for the comments! :)

And to David Prosser, yeah I know that Romanian Carpathian campaign, I played it back when you made it. I'm playing right now again with my new skins but there seems to be some problems with it, maybe because of the new version of the mod... Regarding the Bulgarian Salonika campaign, that sounds interesting, that is another rather forgotten front of WW1 so it's cool to see.

And about that Romanian-Hungarian war if I may help with the types of aircraft:
-Hungary was using the Fokker D.VII (MAG) and Aviatik (Berg) D.I as fighters, UFAG/Phonix C.I and Hansa-Brandenburg C.I as reconaissance/bombers;

-Romania was using Nieuports as fighters (couldn't find much info on what types but probably N17 and N24bis as the older aircraft were left behind and didn't participate in the war), Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter and Breguet 14 as reconaissance/bombers besides these planes Romania also used captured ones as it had few planes participating in the war, so it used whatever planes it captured and didn't need a lot of repairs those being Hansa-Brandenburg C.I, UFAG/Phonix C.I, LVG (only 1 captured no mentioned type, probably a C.VI left behind by the Germans) and Fokkers (though it's rather unclear if these were used but probably they were if they didn't require much repairs), Romania also captured some 16 Bergs but again I don't know if they were used. Also you mentioned 2 Romanian squadrons but I found info about 3 squadrons, part of the newly formed 5th Aviation Group these were the S.12, N.7 and B.2, former S.2 (S - Sopwith, N - Nieuport, B - Breguet).

PS I was also thinking on making some more skins, some of these being for aircraft used in the war of 1919

David Prosser

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 07:42:19 PM »

What problems are you having with the Rumanian campaign? I checked Wikipedia. It only mentioned Hungary having a few captured Antaras from Odessa. The French destroyed their other planes according to the article. I guess my Rumanian pilot will be commanding a squadron of Breguet bomber/recce machines. The war was quite short. So, I guess 5-7 missions would cover it.  I finished a recconnisance mission last night. Thanks for the info on Hungarian planes.

cheers

David
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 27 queries.