Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TJA newb seeks advice from seasoned vets...?  (Read 448 times)

askyhawk

• Lousy marksman, expert target...
TJA newb seeks advice from seasoned vets...?
« on: April 18, 2021, 11:14:00 AM »

Hello to all!

For starters, INFINITE THANKS to all contributors of the uniquely amazing BAT project... You stand in the realm of Gods from from my humble and low perspective! I am sure there are many simmers that share my sentiment!

I am an old man with an old computer... I have been simming since the SubLogic days... Old indeed! And not as quick to digest new things as I used to be...

I have yet to tackle BAT's offering of modern jet warfare, as I seem to be stuck on determining the best way to assign the new key bindings required to do so... I would like ask seasoned Vets of this module for any pointers, suggestions, do's and don'ts, ect, when it comes to the best practices for setup. I am NOT looking for someone to hold my hand and do it for me...

I have a Thrustmaster FCS setup, and since I am old, and easily confused, like to have some basic functions mapped to the same buttons/axis' for all sims...

So, if anyone would like to chime in and share some wisdom, this old geezer would be most grateful...!

I am, most humbley,

askyhawk

(The greatest fighter pilot to ever live, of course!)

SAS~vampire_pilot

• SAS Team
  • a million fixes
Re: TJA newb seeks advice from seasoned vets...?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 04:57:04 AM »

Hello and welcome!

Well, jet age is a diverse field and there's so much to find out in terms of possibilities and so little documentation (there is such a thing as "too much content") ;)
There's some material in BATDOCS though.

Make yourself a plan for whatever function you really need and how often you need them.
Personally, I found it helpful to clearly think it over which functions I wanted HOTAS mapped. Like missile and bombs sections and modes, trimming, chaffs and flares, flaps, gear, minimap on/off,....

I also found it helpful to map the misc keys in a fashion that makes sense. They often contain Autopilot and ILS or laser strike modes that you need a lot in Jet Age.

cbradbury

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 06:06:46 AM »

My advice would be to create multiple pilot profiles with the key allocations you need mapped specifically.

For example, in JTW I have separate profiles as follows:

SU-25
Harrier
Jets
Props

Also, backup the 'users' folder somewhere once you have created your profiles. It may just be me, but I sometimes find that the profiles disappear and revert to older/default settings! No idea why. Whenever that happens (not very often), I simply paste in my backup users folder and I'm good to go.

Thrasher

• I don't drive fast...I just fly low
    • bluejay squadron
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 09:19:13 AM »

We are a squad of "old farts" and would be happy to help you navigate this wonderful sim
Gives us a call through

https://www.thebluejayssquadron.com/index.html

askyhawk

• Lousy marksman, expert target...
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 09:09:57 PM »

Thanks to all for responding!

In order:

SAS~vampire_pilot

Wow! God spoke to me! And I am completely sober?! I am honored!

I have had so many hours of fun as a result of your labors! Thank You for saving my sanity AND my marriage...!

I have the hotas basics down, and I am stuck at figuring out a logical way to assign the Misc keys for jets ("clearly think"? Me? HAHa...Just ask my wife!) ... e.g. Misc. 1-4 this system, Misc 5-8 this other system ect...

I am not exactly sure what advice I am asking for, so any shoves in the right direction by those less ignorant than I are kinda what I'm fishing for...

cbradbury

Thank you for your suggestions! I am sure that I would not have figured those out until I had painted myself into a corner, requiring me to start over.

Excellent advice!

Thrasher
Took a good look at your website... HOLY FUSELAGE!     THAT      IS       COOL!
Giving serious thought to reaching out...
Thx!

sky
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 23 queries.