Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with saving Gimp bmps to work with IL-2  (Read 1654 times)

ZtheE

• Skinner
    • Instagram
Help with saving Gimp bmps to work with IL-2
« on: April 03, 2021, 08:40:08 PM »

I've only just started with skinning and I heard Gimp was the best place to make skins. However, as I found the hard way, Gimp saves bmps in a way that isn't recognized by il-2

Can someone more experienced with GIMP or skin making in general please help me with saving bmps so they'd actually work
I got my BAT license from a cereal box and my computer can legally buy alcohol

Koi

Re: Help with saving Gimp bmps to work with IL-2
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 10:31:27 PM »

I use an older version 2.6 as it will save a BMP easily ,but
First  -- Makes sure the image is set to Indexed mode  colour setting . Il2 only read an index colour file
On first opening a file   go into mode menu and flip it from index to RGB and back. It needs to be in RGB  to get a colour selection.
then just before saving go into mode and Indexing it so to  locks the colours in the file
Second -- be warned If using a new version of Gimp , it won't save a BMP file directly instead the file   needs to be "exported"  , that function is under the Edit menu
Make sure that the  image dimensions are 1024 x1024 and the file is not bigger that  1 mg other wise the image it too big for Il2, if need be just re -scale image

ZtheE

• Skinner
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 11:01:42 PM »

I use an older version 2.6 as it will save a BMP easily ,but
First  -- Makes sure the image is set to Indexed mode  colour setting . Il2 only read an index colour file
On first opening a file   go into mode menu and flip it from index to RGB and back. It needs to be in RGB  to get a colour selection.
then just before saving go into mode and Indexing it so to  locks the colours in the file
Second -- be warned If using a new version of Gimp , it won't save a BMP file directly instead the file   needs to be "exported"  , that function is under the Edit menu

I've done all that and followed a Youtube tutorial but to no success. I do use the latest Gimp if that's the problem.

Make sure that the  image dimensions are 1024 x1024 and the file is not bigger that  1 mg other wise the image it too big for Il2, if need be just re -scale image

I use BAT so it comes with the HD Textures Mod as stock so thats not a problem (I've checked)

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 01:40:51 AM »

It most likely has to do with the export settings you use.

You do use "export as", not just "save"?

BAT is not limited to 1024x1024, that's not a problem.

hamilton_p

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 09:12:28 AM »

Hi all!

I always had issues with BMP files exported with the GIMP.
There is something weird in the way in which GIMP saves 8bit BMPs (see: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/4155).

As a workaround I use ImageMagick to convert a layered file from the GIMP in a BMP that IL2 can recognize.

On the Terminal (I am on MacOS) I write:

Code: [Select]
convert YourFileNameHere.psd -flatten -depth 8 -compress none bmp3:YourOtherFileNameHere.bmp

If you don't want to use ImageMagick you can use any other program which outputs indexed 8bit BMPs.
Using an older version of the GIMP could be a simpler workaround, but you may encounter backward compatibility issues. See this thread (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-so-older-versions-of-Gimp-cant-open-xcf-s-made-with-2-10) for further information and some solution.

Hope it helps!

Ranger97

• Mustang Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 12:44:54 PM »

I just started getting into skinning on Gimp myself as well, make sure before you export that you flatten the image, which is done by right-clicking on the layer toolbox and it should be the last option.  Then when exporting as a BMP, make sure under compatibility options that you check the box that says "do not write color space information".

Hope this helps!
Nil Time

ZtheE

• Skinner
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 03:25:54 PM »

I regret to inform you that I still can't get my skins to work :/

hamilton_p

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 06:41:37 AM »

Hi again,

Could you please post a link to the BMP that you exported from the GIMP, so that somebody can check it?
(I volunteer, although I'm not a professional skinner).

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 03:50:07 PM »

There is (or at least was until this past year) a free, older version of Photoshop offered by Adobe which is more than capable enough for our tasks. That's my go-to app for all my graphics tasks that can't be done with IrfanView.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

ZtheE

• Skinner
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 09:37:32 PM »

Could you please post a link to the BMP that you exported from the GIMP, so that somebody can check it?

Here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/m7gv507kxgzwbg5/RNZAF_Fictional_Skins_Vol.1.zip/file

There is (or at least was until this past year) a free, older version of Photoshop offered by Adobe which is more than capable enough for our tasks. That's my go-to app for all my graphics tasks that can't be done with IrfanView.

I do have an Adobe account but I cannot install PS (or any adobe CC app) my C: drive is full and would probably melt my computer :/

Korrigan

• SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 12:07:35 AM »

I don't know what exactly is the problem, I can confirm your skins don't work in game, but when I simply load/save them with Irfanview they work fine.

HaFu1939

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 06:07:57 AM »

Your problem is colour depth. Your files have 32-bit depth, B.A.T. can handle with 8-bit or 24-bit depth. You have to change the bit depth (usually a choice by saving as…). Look at working skins properties and try to make your skins with same properties as these working skins.
For reducing a 24-bit file to an 8-bit file is better use a utility like Bright https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=53441.0 than saving in 8-bit depth in e.g., Photoshop.
Good luck,
HaFu1939
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 27 queries.