Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with saving Gimp bmps to work with IL-2  (Read 789 times)

ZtheE Studios

• Certified BAT user
Help with saving Gimp bmps to work with IL-2
« on: April 03, 2021, 08:40:08 PM »

I've only just started with skinning and I heard Gimp was the best place to make skins. However, as I found the hard way, Gimp saves bmps in a way that isn't recognized by il-2

Can someone more experienced with GIMP or skin making in general please help me with saving bmps so they'd actually work
Professional dumbass, Varified nuisance and Certified BAT user

Koi

Re: Help with saving Gimp bmps to work with IL-2
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 10:31:27 PM »

I use an older version 2.6 as it will save a BMP easily ,but
First  -- Makes sure the image is set to Indexed mode  colour setting . Il2 only read an index colour file
On first opening a file   go into mode menu and flip it from index to RGB and back. It needs to be in RGB  to get a colour selection.
then just before saving go into mode and Indexing it so to  locks the colours in the file
Second -- be warned If using a new version of Gimp , it won't save a BMP file directly instead the file   needs to be "exported"  , that function is under the Edit menu
Make sure that the  image dimensions are 1024 x1024 and the file is not bigger that  1 mg other wise the image it too big for Il2, if need be just re -scale image

ZtheE Studios

• Certified BAT user
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 11:01:42 PM »

I use an older version 2.6 as it will save a BMP easily ,but
First  -- Makes sure the image is set to Indexed mode  colour setting . Il2 only read an index colour file
On first opening a file   go into mode menu and flip it from index to RGB and back. It needs to be in RGB  to get a colour selection.
then just before saving go into mode and Indexing it so to  locks the colours in the file
Second -- be warned If using a new version of Gimp , it won't save a BMP file directly instead the file   needs to be "exported"  , that function is under the Edit menu

I've done all that and followed a Youtube tutorial but to no success. I do use the latest Gimp if that's the problem.

Make sure that the  image dimensions are 1024 x1024 and the file is not bigger that  1 mg other wise the image it too big for Il2, if need be just re -scale image

I use BAT so it comes with the HD Textures Mod as stock so thats not a problem (I've checked)

SAS~vampire_pilot

• SAS Team
  • a million fixes
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 01:40:51 AM »

It most likely has to do with the export settings you use.

You do use "export as", not just "save"?

BAT is not limited to 1024x1024, that's not a problem.

hamilton_p

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 09:12:28 AM »

Hi all!

I always had issues with BMP files exported with the GIMP.
There is something weird in the way in which GIMP saves 8bit BMPs (see: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/4155).

As a workaround I use ImageMagick to convert a layered file from the GIMP in a BMP that IL2 can recognize.

On the Terminal (I am on MacOS) I write:

Code: [Select]
convert YourFileNameHere.psd -flatten -depth 8 -compress none bmp3:YourOtherFileNameHere.bmp

If you don't want to use ImageMagick you can use any other program which outputs indexed 8bit BMPs.
Using an older version of the GIMP could be a simpler workaround, but you may encounter backward compatibility issues. See this thread (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-so-older-versions-of-Gimp-cant-open-xcf-s-made-with-2-10) for further information and some solution.

Hope it helps!

Ranger97

• Mustang Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 12:44:54 PM »

I just started getting into skinning on Gimp myself as well, make sure before you export that you flatten the image, which is done by right-clicking on the layer toolbox and it should be the last option.  Then when exporting as a BMP, make sure under compatibility options that you check the box that says "do not write color space information".

Hope this helps!
Nil Time

ZtheE Studios

• Certified BAT user
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 03:25:54 PM »

I regret to inform you that I still can't get my skins to work :/

hamilton_p

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 06:41:37 AM »

Hi again,

Could you please post a link to the BMP that you exported from the GIMP, so that somebody can check it?
(I volunteer, although I'm not a professional skinner).

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 03:50:07 PM »

There is (or at least was until this past year) a free, older version of Photoshop offered by Adobe which is more than capable enough for our tasks. That's my go-to app for all my graphics tasks that can't be done with IrfanView.

ZtheE Studios

• Certified BAT user
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 09:37:32 PM »

Could you please post a link to the BMP that you exported from the GIMP, so that somebody can check it?

Here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/m7gv507kxgzwbg5/RNZAF_Fictional_Skins_Vol.1.zip/file

There is (or at least was until this past year) a free, older version of Photoshop offered by Adobe which is more than capable enough for our tasks. That's my go-to app for all my graphics tasks that can't be done with IrfanView.

I do have an Adobe account but I cannot install PS (or any adobe CC app) my C: drive is full and would probably melt my computer :/

Korrigan

• SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 12:07:35 AM »

I don't know what exactly is the problem, I can confirm your skins don't work in game, but when I simply load/save them with Irfanview they work fine.

HaFu1939

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 06:07:57 AM »

Your problem is colour depth. Your files have 32-bit depth, B.A.T. can handle with 8-bit or 24-bit depth. You have to change the bit depth (usually a choice by saving as…). Look at working skins properties and try to make your skins with same properties as these working skins.
For reducing a 24-bit file to an 8-bit file is better use a utility like Bright https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=53441.0 than saving in 8-bit depth in e.g., Photoshop.
Good luck,
HaFu1939
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 24 queries.