Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wheels/ tracks on Tanks and vehicles don't move...  (Read 687 times)

Greyhound87

Wheels/ tracks on Tanks and vehicles don't move...
« on: March 22, 2021, 04:48:56 AM »

Evening all, I've noticed since being playing il2 games for a long time now since the very first game. The tank tracks and wheels on vehicles don't rotate as they are in motion. Thinking that the games being modded a long way. Has anyone modded the tank tracks/wheels on the ground units to move?

Epervier

• 4.09 Guardian Angel !
  • SAS Team
  • I'm French and Rebel_409! Nobody is perfect!
    • Some tinkering here
Re: Wheels/ tracks on Tanks and vehicles don't move...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 05:08:28 AM »

A long time ago, a modder tried to make the wheels turn. Good! But the wheels were always turning, even when the vehicle was stationary!
So useless!
The problem in IL-2 is that the only way to do it is to make the propellers turn permanently.
See this mod : https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,20511.0.html

Otherwise I guess to have wheels that turn "normally" is to completely redo the game engine!
And personally I think that this gadget is useless when you are on board a plane flying at 400, 500, 700 km/h strafing a vehicle... not much time to look at the colour of the servants' eyes!
If your results are not up to your expectations, tell yourself that as large oak was once an acorn ...

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 01:30:54 PM »

Indeed, there are more important improvements to make than rotating wheels on ground vehicles. At least from the point of view of one who flies the sim. Now, for movie makers, that's another matter. Then the various little things one has time and perspective to scrutinize would warrant working on--if feasible.

On the subject of 'eye candy, generally. I wish as much effort was expended on cockpits as on the external plane modeling. As a 'pilot', my viewpoint is by far anchored in the 'office, where internal fidelity matters as much or even more than external. I can't see much of my own crate, and other planes are usually seen from a distance where details are are not so well discerned, or are only briefly seen from close up.

Radoye

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 08:03:40 AM »

A long time ago, a modder tried to make the wheels turn. Good! But the wheels were always turning, even when the vehicle was stationary!
So useless!
The problem in IL-2 is that the only way to do it is to make the propellers turn permanently.

Just brainstorming here - would it be possible to force vehicles to turn their engines off whenever stationary, and then turn them back on for moving?

Would that make a difference with regards to "propeller" movements? If the engine stops would it cause the "propeller" (in this case wheels) to stop too?
I'm an island, surrounded by a sea of idiots!

SAS~GJE52

• SAS Team
  • SAS Dishonourable Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 08:42:43 AM »

It is easy to suggest what others could do. If it was as easy as you say do you not think  it would have been done by the guys who fully understand the game’s inherent limitations.

Just think for moment about how to start animating a tank track movement in real time.... and the processing power required to make that happen .

However. If you really want to play with ( or film )  tanks and cars there are better sims out there.

G;

Epervier

• 4.09 Guardian Angel !
  • SAS Team
  • I'm French and Rebel_409! Nobody is perfect!
    • Some tinkering here
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 08:47:16 AM »

I totally agree!  :-X
If your results are not up to your expectations, tell yourself that as large oak was once an acorn ...

Greyhound87

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 02:36:33 AM »

Ok fair enough. Just thought I ask if anyone was gonna improve or modify the tanks and vehicles wheel motion in the game. At the end of the day it is a flight sim. Main focus are the planes. Its as good as it is. We'll leave it as that.

SAS~GJE52

• SAS Team
  • SAS Dishonourable Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 09:54:12 AM »

At the end of the day it is a flight sim. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 24 queries.