Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Miles M39B "Libellula"  (Read 3131 times)

Zflyer48

• Modder
  • There is no failure in doing; only in not trying.
Re: Miles M39B "Libellula"
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2021, 11:40:15 AM »

Meanwhile this project continues.

Avimimus

• Modder
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2021, 09:20:25 AM »

Have you thought of doing the M.39C? It is faster and well armed - there are some drawings in the new British Secret Projects book.

Zflyer48

• Modder
  • There is no failure in doing; only in not trying.
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2021, 08:16:28 PM »

I have been gradually bringing my mods back from the crash.
The B39B is one.

I do need a little guidance as to the naming of the control surfaces.
My search came up with nada.
I will assume #2 is flaps.

Avimimus

• Modder
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2021, 04:02:08 PM »

I modelled the late war jet bomber/post-war mail plane version of this in X-plane a few years back.

I initially had
3 = Elevator
4 = Flaps
1 = Aileron
2 = Flaps

I then reversed the layout of the forward wing so that the inboard section was the elevator:
3 = Flaps
4 = Elevator
1 = Aileron
2 = Flaps

I found that it wasn't possible to get enough pitch authority to take off without elevator droop with flaps and/or the 3 & 4 being reversed.

Avimimus

• Modder
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2021, 08:13:43 AM »

From Journal of Aeronautical History Paper No. 2016/02:

Flaps were fitted to both wings, with those on the front wing in the unusual outboard position, with the elevators inboard. The arrangement was more conventional on the rear wing, with the ailerons outboard. The flaps were partly on the parallel centre-section of the wing, but continued on the outer, swept-back sections.
[...]
The longitudinal dihedral was again 1 deg, but the rigging settings relative to the thrust line were higher than those of the M.35, 3 deg and 2 deg at the roots, though this time with washout of 1 deg on both wings. [Washout is a twist that involved the setting falling by this amount on moving outboard to the tips. This is usually adopted to ensure that the stall occurs first at the root, allowing use of outboard ailerons to control any tendency for one wing-tip to drop.] A typically ingenious mechanism had been devised by Miles, that allowed the elevators to be operated normally over their full range, but when flap was deflected, the elevator mechanism was activated also, allowing the flap and elevator to work in unison.
[...]
It was also found during investigations of trim that the flaps on the rear wing could not be extended in flight beyond the first two stops (of five) because the front wing at full flap extension could not then provide a sufficient moment to bring the aircraft into balance.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 26 queries.