Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question selecting / spotting Target symbols / texts (SOLVED!)  (Read 898 times)

Chaoic16

• Modder
Question selecting / spotting Target symbols / texts (SOLVED!)
« on: February 17, 2021, 12:33:12 AM »

Good evening everyone,

It have been a very long time since I have flown IL-2 1946. I came back here and was surprised to see so much mods being made for legendary Il-2 1946!  I am re-learning to set up IL-2 1946 for my offline flying styles.  I always fly offline for my own enjoyable times in the simulations.

I have a few questions about selecting a target and being able to see it by symbols.

1) Since I have a limited vision, I have the difficult if seeing targets from distance.  So I want to know if there is a way to have a symbol (like red square or any texts / symbols) appearing around the target when selecting them (for both air and ground / sea vehicles).

That way I can easily see which target I am looking at. 

2) Is there a way to enable arrow that tells me where the target is if the targets are off screen?

Thank you very much!

-------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: The problems is now solved.  It turns out that the green upside triangle is so tiny and it is difficult to spot it.  So I am going to practice by following the movement of the padlocking and look for the target. I mapped both Pause (keyboard) and zoom (axis on throttle pad from mini HOTAS).

SAS~vampire_pilot

• SAS Team
  • a million fixes
Re: Question selecting / spotting Target symbols / texts
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 07:16:18 AM »

I have no experience with these settings but I think this in some way or form already exits in stock game options, try "toggle targets" air, ground... to get arrows pointing (?) or what that's called.  I know the arrows can be made visible for ground targets.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 02:06:54 PM »

In what way is your vision deficient? Would setting up a larger monitor help? If you use a small-ish screen and/or are viewing from some distance away, you will not be resolving all that can be seen. Even for folk having normal vision.

I use a 31.5" monitor. The display width is 70cm, and my eyes are about 50cm away (I use suitable reading glasses so as to enjoy a comfortable focus.) This means that at my typical 105 degree FoV, the image scale is pretty close to a 1:1 correspondence with reality. Call this the poor man's virtual reality, but lacking 3-D, although sporting a 2560 X 1440 resolution. The expanded image scale makes it easier to discern smaller details.

That notwithstanding, the game offers the ability to place a green triangle around a set target, be it aerial or on the ground. It *might* be restricted to padlocking only. It's been many years since I used any of there features, since head tracking gear is superior, or at least more realistic.

Chaoic16

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 05:10:52 PM »

I have no experience with these settings but I think this in some way or form already exits in stock game options, try "toggle targets" air, ground... to get arrows pointing (?) or what that's called.  I know the arrows can be made visible for ground targets.

Thank you! I will look into this!

In what way is your vision deficient? Would setting up a larger monitor help? If you use a small-ish screen and/or are viewing from some distance away, you will not be resolving all that can be seen. Even for folk having normal vision.

I use a 31.5" monitor. The display width is 70cm, and my eyes are about 50cm away (I use suitable reading glasses so as to enjoy a comfortable focus.) This means that at my typical 105 degree FoV, the image scale is pretty close to a 1:1 correspondence with reality. Call this the poor man's virtual reality, but lacking 3-D, although sporting a 2560 X 1440 resolution. The expanded image scale makes it easier to discern smaller details.

That notwithstanding, the game offers the ability to place a green triangle around a set target, be it aerial or on the ground. It *might* be restricted to padlocking only. It's been many years since I used any of there features, since head tracking gear is superior, or at least more realistic.

Thank you for being willing to assist me in this situation!  This is why this community is awesome!

By the way, to explain you about my limited vision, what I have is known as Usher Syndrome.  That is why I am deaf with a low vision.  This is what my vision looks similar to:

I have a tunnel vision with a good center visibility.  (Which means I can look at the monitor from close-by to far distance.)  In order, to see the surrounding situation, I scan my vision everywhere, including the monitor for the games and simulations.

I usually use a limited sized monitor, so I can scan around the monitor less frequently.  As stated above, I have a good center vision, so my head is not that far from the monitor.  The larger monitor is, the more I have to scan around it with my tunnel vision.  I am currently using 23" inches monitor as my maximum  size.

I have been flying simulations since the 1990s and I always use the symbols / text around the target in various simulations / games, in order, to assist me in spotting them.  I am hoping to be able to use the similar thing in IL-2 1946.  I used to enable the red square thingy around the air target a long time ago.  I took a break from sim due to my life situation.  Now that I am back to IL-2 1946, I forgot how to set that back in IL-2 1946 since I am running a clean, new installation of IL-2 1946 with BAT.

About a green triangle around a set, that is noted. I will keep experimenting and see if I can manage to activate it.  Even if it is only for a padlocking, it's better to have it than not having it at all.

Chaoic16

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 06:11:13 PM »

For some reasons, the symbols or text does not appear on the ground target, especially when using padlock.  I made sure the padlocking is enabled under the "view" setting in IL-2 1946.  Is there a way to enable it by config.ini?

UPDATE:  I managed to enable the text and symbols for enemy air.  However, there is no text nor symbol for the enemy ground.  I am still working on this.  If anyone ever managed to enable the text and symbol for the ground target, please let me know.

SAS~Storebror

• retired
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 11:09:57 PM »

When you padlock a ground target (F5 for instance should padlock next enemy ground target in range), there should be a red triangle on top of the ground target you've selected.
The triangles are pretty small so you might simply have missed it.

]cheers[
Mike
You live, you learn, you love, you're dead.

Chaoic16

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 12:24:16 AM »

When you padlock a ground target (F5 for instance should padlock next enemy ground target in range), there should be a red triangle on top of the ground target you've selected.
The triangles are pretty small so you might simply have missed it.

]cheers[
Mike

Noted, I will scan for it when I fly again soon.

Thank you.

]cheers[

SAS~vampire_pilot

• SAS Team
  • a million fixes
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 06:42:50 AM »

there is no text for ground targets available, just the triangles. But they come with  a" lockled focus", meaning, your viewpoint will always keep this item centered (by moving your head).   

Can be very distracting if you are not used to it. You have to "break" this lock by toggle again.

Chaoic16

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 07:17:59 AM »

Good evening everyone,

I appreciate everyone's advice and tips about the text and symbols.  I finally managed to enable and see the text and symbol on air units when padlocking on them.

However, I still can not find the symbol on the ground target though.  Green symbol probably is hidden with the green background, hence is difficult to spot.

If I continue being unable to find the ground target symbol, I'll eventually have to find a way to spot the target on the ground with practices.  At least, I finally can see an enemy aircraft with ease.   Plus, NG Map mod is helpful with a combat map.  I shall do my best from now on.

Chaoic16

• Modder
Re: Question selecting / spotting Target symbols / texts (SOLVED!)
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 03:26:00 AM »

Everyone,

It is all thanks to the wonderful community and SAS members, my problems is solved. I updated my first post about it.

Good hunting everyone!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 24 queries.