Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I-16 instrument panel visibility  (Read 727 times)

EHood

• Supporter
I-16 instrument panel visibility
« on: February 07, 2021, 08:43:56 AM »

Long story short, I recently discovered that the instrument panel in the I-16 is all but invisible from the pilot's (player) POV. My TrackIR works fine, but the position of the POV and the size of the coaming make it impossible to see more than the lower edge of a portion of the panel. I don't mind using the HUD and flying by the seat of my pants, so to speak (I do use a force-feedback controller), but this seems a bit much. Am I missing a setting or something?

A ya tsi-tsalagi.

WxTech

• Modder
Re: I-16 instrument panel visibility
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 10:12:27 AM »

In Il2 1946, of late I've been expanding the range of 6DoF movement of the virtual pilot's head.  (Not got round to the I-16 yet.) This involves altering, or adding if missing, a single line of code in the cockpit class. (When missing, a set of default values set in another base class is used.) I can always obtain a good improvement, most often meeting the desired goal.

Not playing BoX, I have no real idea on how to address this, other than firing off a dev request...

SAS~Storebror

• retired
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 10:39:04 AM »

With TrackIR setup correctly, you can easily lower your head sufficiently to see all your panel.
Never had any issue with that, it's just tedious that's all.

]cheers[
Mike
You live, you learn, you love, you're dead.

marcost

• Modder
  • Keep calm and run away
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 10:49:12 AM »

You can change the default pilot head position and save it. I think F10 saves and the home, insert etc keys move the position (you have to select a snap view first, these are default mapped .
. Check on BoX forum for how to change and save snap views. Or you can make a snap view that looks at the instruments. All this works with TrackIR.

EHood

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 12:02:47 AM »

Thank you all for your replies. It is distracting, having to jump back and forth at times between the gunsight view and what can be seen of the instruments. Once in combat, however, I tend to stick with the gunsight view. Here's a view of the damage inflicted on a BF 109 E-7 during a series of head-on passes. I was armed only with the default, "rifle-caliber" machine guns carried in the I-16. Note the damage to the tail section and empennage. Not visible from this angle was a bullet hole below the horizontal stabilizer, a few centimeters ahead of the rudder post:

;)
A ya tsi-tsalagi.

SAS~Storebror

• retired
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 03:31:38 AM »

The famous IL-2 GB damage model.
Be glad that it was an Emil.
Any other 109 would not suffer from any tail damage at all.
A "stopgap solution" we have to deal with for 9+ months now.
I gave up on that game months ago, there's too much wrong with the very core of it, whereas devs concentrate on completely idiotic side dishes and users on their forums are ass kissing beyond imagination.

1946 ftw.

]cheers[
Mike
You live, you learn, you love, you're dead.

sniperton

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 04:45:59 AM »

Any other 109 would not suffer from any tail damage at all.

But at least the skin damage is there  ;)

The same .303s do this damage to a Heinkel, but I must admit that the Heinkel was hit by more bullets:

EHood

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 08:33:19 AM »

Just a quick coda, without going OT this time. I did find a way to scrunch down and, thanks to TrackIR, see most of the instrument panel. As can be seen in the screenshot below, however, it's an awkward proposition. For the time being I'll be depending upon the HUD:

8)
A ya tsi-tsalagi.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 26 queries.