Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i'm screwed  (Read 600 times)

brazliz

i'm screwed
« on: November 20, 2020, 05:51:10 PM »

So i was tempted to download a big number of planes from a later version of the ultraspain mod which i found here https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,63004.0.html. The mod says you must have 3 different previous versions of ultraspain all installed on top of each other. 2017, then 2019, and then may 2019. It says to install them on top of an il2 installation that is running the latest patch (which i had) but i made a mistake thinking it applied to an il2 installation that had BAT installed already. Now whenever i start the selector, theres no individual modules for all the mods anymore. Just blank spaces. The only option now is ultraspain. It runs, but when i got into the game it doesn't let you control any of the planes, the arming button doesn't work, and if i hit play the camera goes through the ground. Is there any way to undo all this in a fast way? The mod doesn't have an exe that you can use to uninstall everything, so now my install is infested with files breaking the game. I didn't know any of this would happen. I made a backup of the game but that was like over a year ago, and it's brutal to think i might have to reinstall that.

dagger123456

Re: i'm screwed
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 06:08:47 PM »

That is a terrible thing to happen.  I had those kind of mistake before and the only fix is to start over again.  I dont think that it can be undone.  But what I did afterward, i bought me an external HD and installed most of IL2 versions - BAT, HSFX, 4.12,4.13, DBW...etc.  From then on, i can format my desktop's HD anytime i want if i feel like there is virus or malware (i dont have antivirus).  I dont even have to reinstall IL2, i can play it from my external HD.  But playing it internally is bit faster.

brazliz

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 06:23:55 PM »

I didn't want any of this to happen. The only thing i can do now is take every single file the mod added into my installation out, one by one. Who knows how long that will take. I'm not installing every single mod plane i have back in because i'll be doing that until next year. The mod comes in a folder called ultraspain_2017 and i think i was supposed to just copy that folder alone into my installation, but instead i went inside it and copied all the files instead, so now they're all spread everywhere.

Knochenlutscher

• "Klaatu... verata... n... Necktie. Nectar. Nickel. Noodle."
  • Modder
  • aka Segfej
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 08:20:31 PM »

Leave your corrupted BAT as Backup, until you build up a new Install, apply the BAT custom Mods, ready.
Then delete this Ultra Spanish BAT. That's fairly easy to do.

Create a custom Folder on Desktop and follow this Ultra Spain Installation into that Folder,
having this Folder you see the plain Files affected. I do this as in such affected Installs, you have troubles to see
in or out.
When you have that Folder created, leave Spain aside and build up a new BAT, without custom edits.
Just Install. That is your 2nd folder to sort out your custom Mods from the mess.
Clean Spain and and Clean BAT folder.

Selector, Wrapper and il2fb.ini are changed. Your BAT is quirked, but your tons of Mods are still untouched the way you
applied. So don't panic.

It's a 30 mins job to do a fresh BAT install and apply your custom BAT minus the Files you added again.

Wiseman: Did you speak the exact words? Ash: Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah.

brazliz

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 11:06:01 PM »

I was thinking of using system restore to go back to the way it was. I'll lose some of the planes i installed yesterday but i'll try anything at this point. I don't think the restore affects games though. Only registry things. I'll probably end up leaving the ruined one as a backup and reinstalling BAT someplace else. The air.ini things and my savegames are still in the old one so i can transfer them.

Orge Schwab

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 05:58:32 AM »

System restore won't help for the reason you suggest. Best follow Knochen's advice - be methodical and put what you can salvage over the top of a fresh BAT install. I was tempted to install Ultraspain at one point, but noticed that it contains its own custom-packed SFS files that would overwrite some of the BAT SFS files if I did. It would be nice if Ultraspain could be made compatible with BAT at some point as it contains a lot of theatre-specific content and unique aircraft - but at the moment, it isn't.

brazliz

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 12:59:51 PM »

so i already have a clean il2 copy on steam. I just copied all the files from that into another folder and put red core and blue edge or whatever they're called on top of that. Now i just have to take my custom missions/skins/planes and put them where they go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 26 queries.