Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: IL-2 Great Battles messed up since April 2020  (Read 17643 times)

sniperton

Re: IL-2 Great Battles messed up since April 2020
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2020, 03:07:25 AM »

If you try to connect to anything online, the connection will be routed through the "master" server, which will check whether your game is in a "valid" state.
I see, "One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them".
Peinlich.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2020, 03:17:52 AM »

Does anyone still remember how, in the early days of IL-2 Great Battles, the devs told us they'd provide an SDK at a later time?
How much later?
20 years?
"After the holidays"?
Good news is it might still be before they make the 109 vulnerable again  :D :P 8)

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

sniperton

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2020, 04:32:15 AM »

Just get rid of your assumption that a simulation game has to simulate historical reality in all possible respects.

There are many simplifications and distortions of reality in each game, this is one where 50cals suck and 109s rock, for instance. The list is long, by the way.

What particularly annoys me in BoX is the hypocritical pedantry of the clan and their loud battlecry "historical accuracy". Still I can enjoy the product as a "what if" game. After all, I started flying 1946 with a Finnish Brewster mocked as a Hungarian Re.2000.  :D

SAS~Ghost129er

• SAS Team
  • SAS Certified Lurk
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2020, 04:46:47 AM »

What particularly annoys me in BoX is the hypocritical pedantry of the clan and their loud battlecry "historical accuracy".

"hay fak u i hav mor hourz than u in b0x irl I'd be ace hans ulrich r00del u n0b 1v1 me bogenplatz."

Literally crap I've heard from the Arma 3 community and BoX forum, it's amazing how retarded some people there can be...
Current activity: Giving his E46 330ci some TLC.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2020, 07:14:32 AM »

Just get rid of your assumption that a simulation game has to simulate historical reality in all possible respects.
Oh I'm not of that "historical accuracy" breed anyway.
Historical accuracy would mean that up to and including 1942, the ruskies would not really fight back against the germans as they prefer to get killed on the ground.
And 1944 and counting, for each german plane in the air there would be 10-20 allied ones.
Nope, I'm not into that.
I'd be happy if the BoX devs would stop breaking things that worked reasonably well before already.

]cheers[
Mike

sniperton

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2020, 11:57:18 AM »

• .303s don't kill shit.
    No surprise.
    No API and APIT available, and AP damage modelling being totally nerfed since the 4.501 patch renders these guns completely useless except for trying to kill pilots or set engines ablaze (see next point).
  • You can set 111s on fire with your first burst if you aim well at their engines.
    You can hardly kill a single 109 Emil with a full load of 4000+ .303 bullets.
    You can't kill any other 109. Never ever, except for the odd occasion that you kill the pilot from 45°+ deflection shots, or the engine catches fire, which it does every once in a full moon.

Perhaps I'm too optimistic, but now that I had an opportunity to test-fly the Hurri, I guess AP ammo won't get away without changes for long. Or without further requests to introduce API, or to do anything that helps.

In the SP campaign Russian guns or Hispanos are not available for the Hurri until Stalingrad, and the many SP guys who will fly the Hurri in Moscow against its traditioinal BoB enemies will be confronted with the fact that these .303s are not those that won BoB.

Quite a lot of people are still playing CloD, and they know that although .303s did not rock historically, but they were not fully crap either.

And it's not only the 109 that is almost invulnerable to .303s. While two-engine planes can be easily set on fire (it's the same as with .50cals, BTW), Stukas or Macchis are very hard to kill.

With a full load I could kill 4 Heinkels (2 instant kills and 2 combat kills), 2 Stukas (both combat kills), and 0 Macchi. This is contrary to what we read in books.

If BoX had quick mission stats as Il-2 1946 has, I wouldn't bother you with my (repeated) request to create an online test platform with stats. All kinds of planes flying slow, straight and level, with high priority waypoints and with disabled gunners, if possible. Don't take it as a request, it's just a humble wish, eine Bitte, muttered with trembling heart, Euer gehorsamster Diener, etc., etc..  :D

Drewm3i

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2020, 03:56:13 PM »

I have stopped playing BoX...it is just a terrible game. My favorite plane, the P-40 which could turn with an early BOB Spitfire/Hurricane, is basically an IL-2 Sturmovik with an engine that blows up 5 seconds after the arbitrary limits are exceeded. The AI (I am a single player mainly) literally flies in WWI dogfight circles, the .50 caliber do no damage to the 109s (that is when you can even get your guns on them). The campaigns are the same mission over and over again (I was trying the P-51 Bodenplatte campaign) and I had collected like 25 kills and no deaths (I get shot out of the sky all the time by AI in 1946) before the server somehow deleted my progress and said I was captured in action (I didn't get shot down). To top it off, the planes don't feel aerodynamic at all and always want to stall and spin like in Warthunder (at least the p-40). At least I paid only half price for all the games, but I really want to just get rid of my account so I'm not tempted to try that abomination of a "simulator" again  :D. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks BoX has been a massive let down.

On a brighter note, 1946 is better than ever and I'm excited for what the graphics extender will bring visually once the bugs are ironed out. Clod is also much, much improved and is getting better. Tobruk looks great and I'm excited to fly a real P-40 over the desert and channel. I also bought Wings Over the Reich and it is pretty fun (albeit simpler FM and DM) and graphically beautiful.

SAS~tsisqua

• Tsisqua Tsigawonisgi, but you can call me Bird!
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2020, 10:06:32 PM »

I just sat here and read this entire thread. Very enlightening. I would have purchased the Great Battles, but I remembered getting an almost unplayable ClOD, and finally putting it away. With the release of the Tobruk expansion came many fixes to the base CoD game, and now . . . 10 years later, I can finally enjoy some of the BOB sim that I'd waited for since Oleg's team started working on it. (Long Time) I have no need for Desert Wings because I'm just now getting to play Cliffs. But still very difficult (apparently) to create and share campaigns. Still just one map (for BoB, and half of the UK is still missing). No new planes apart from the paid addon. The lesson for me has been that there will never be another IL2 1946. And pretty graphics can suck you in, but if the gameplay sux, so does the game. And the AI in our old sim is very, VERY good. Unlike the circling described earlier (lol, sounds more like playing War Thunder offline). So, I shall play the old game, with the new additions (mods) from the community, for which I am very grateful. Long live IL2 1946, and thanks guys, for confirming what I'd figured was true. ~S
"When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite." Winston Churchill

Drewm3i

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2020, 01:13:07 AM »

I just sat here and read this entire thread. Very enlightening. I would have purchased the Great Battles, but I remembered getting an almost unplayable ClOD, and finally putting it away. With the release of the Tobruk expansion came many fixes to the base CoD game, and now . . . 10 years later, I can finally enjoy some of the BOB sim that I'd waited for since Oleg's team started working on it. (Long Time) I have no need for Desert Wings because I'm just now getting to play Cliffs. But still very difficult (apparently) to create and share campaigns. Still just one map (for BoB, and half of the UK is still missing). No new planes apart from the paid addon. The lesson for me has been that there will never be another IL2 1946. And pretty graphics can suck you in, but if the gameplay sux, so does the game. And the AI in our old sim is very, VERY good. Unlike the circling described earlier (lol, sounds more like playing War Thunder offline). So, I shall play the old game, with the new additions (mods) from the community, for which I am very grateful. Long live IL2 1946, and thanks guys, for confirming what I'd figured was true. ~S

I just bought Tobruk today for $44 (found a key code online for 37% off) and I am LOVING IT. It truly feels like an upgraded IL-2 1946 as it is the actual spiritual successor. BoX is made by 777 Studios and is based on RoF, which is why the AI still does some weird things. I am glad  I bought Tobruk so far and the Spitfire Vb, BF 109 F$, and P-40 variants are amazingly modeled. Each plane is so different. While doing a WOT run at sea level, my P-40 suffered a carburetor failure after a few minutes from the intake manifold pressure and the engine started popping (backfire through carburetor noise)--I was astounded by the detail level. Hit about 300 IAS at sea level and unlike in BoX, the P-40 turns on a dime (way easier than the 109), and doesn't lose energy instantly. I can't wait to get into the new campaigns (have only tried the missions so far). The AI is actually really good like in 1946, but is a little less UFOish. Try Tobruk, I think people who love 1946 would also love it.

SAS~tsisqua

• Tsisqua Tsigawonisgi, but you can call me Bird!
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2020, 06:09:03 PM »

I just bought Tobruk today for $44 (found a key code online for 37% off) and I am LOVING IT. It truly feels like an upgraded IL-2 1946 as it is the actual spiritual successor. BoX is made by 777 Studios and is based on RoF, which is why the AI still does some weird things. I am glad  I bought Tobruk so far and the Spitfire Vb, BF 109 F$, and P-40 variants are amazingly modeled. Each plane is so different. While doing a WOT run at sea level, my P-40 suffered a carburetor failure after a few minutes from the intake manifold pressure and the engine started popping (backfire through carburetor noise)--I was astounded by the detail level. Hit about 300 IAS at sea level and unlike in BoX, the P-40 turns on a dime (way easier than the 109), and doesn't lose energy instantly. I can't wait to get into the new campaigns (have only tried the missions so far). The AI is actually really good like in 1946, but is a little less UFOish. Try Tobruk, I think people who love 1946 would also love it.

Thank you! This isn't the first time I've heard a good review about Desert Wings, and I am thinking I must have this. The updates for Desert Wings is global (everyone with cliffs gets the updates) and now my tracks play, my textures load, my guns shoot, and my Spits and Hurris turn more like I would expect. These planes without rudder trim are much easier to get going straight at cruise speed and I am enjoying not having to hold my stick at an angle for the entire flight. Everything got better after the first update, and by the third I felt like I had pretty much what I expected when purchasing. I complained once about it taking so long (TF Facebook page), expecting to get kicked off. Instead one of the developers liked my post, and thanked me for commenting. I don't know why it was abandoned for so long, but it seems to be suddenly a big thing now. I hope they can actually add more and more to this: maps, more addons, planes, etc. But the GB series keeps expanding and I am wondering what happens when both 1C 777 and Team Fusion want to cover the same theatre . . . and they both call themselves IL2 Sturmovik, adding to the confusion of new customers. Either way, as long as TF continues to honor the IL2 legacy, I'll be going with them. Thank you, again, and good hunting!
"When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite." Winston Churchill

sniperton

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2020, 06:52:51 PM »

Just to be clear, if your read "Il2 GB is messed up since April 2020" doesn't mean that the game is full of bugs and is unplayable as CloD was several years ago.
It doesn't mean either that it's not a game that you can enjoy.
It simply means that the game is not up to the expectations of many of us, and that the developers are reluctant to acknowledge this while trying to please other people whom they consider more vocal than we are.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2020, 10:59:30 PM »

I'd say it goes slightly beyond what sniperton describes.
People who still find some kind of joy in the game are either Lufties or allied pilots who step away from the affected planes. And these affected planes are many. Essentially any late war U.S. stuff.
The only reason the Hurricane didn't see such massive criticism is that people mostly fly it with cannons and with the late +12lbs engine, which essentially turns it almost into a Tempest because of the slightly overdone flight model.
Lufties meanwhile complain about the P-51 being too fast (damn I can't kill a hundred of them in one sortie with my 109K-4, they just run away) and the Tempest turning too good.
Rest assured that will get fixed before any other plane will, leaving the allied side with no competitive plane at all in the 1943+ era.

And besides all of this, the devs introduced two severe issues in the DServer again, leaving the server to lock up or just silently terminate arbitrarily - in our case every two days at the moment.

Sorry to say, but what more does it take until a game counts as full of bugs and unplayable?
It's not too far from what CloD was anymore and it gets worse with each patch being released.

]cheers[
Mike
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 24 queries.