Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The first air war - Colonial adventures in the Belle Epoque  (Read 4012 times)

Nero

• "Chi vola vale, chi non vola è un vile
Re: The first air war - Colonial adventures in the Belle Epoque
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2020, 12:13:51 PM »

My briefings will not display the special characters. All appear as euro signs and whatnot.

I must check this because in the first missions seems to happen to me too. Probably because the historic part of the briefing was paste by a web site on the air pattecipation in the war. Maybe if I correct them in the mission editor it work. I ll post a briefing correction tomorrow.

EDIT: Vampire, adjusted all right now and posted the link updated.
There was in some mission also a problem with the taxi to take off, the Taube was positioned too near the tenth and the plane did crush once started, now adjusted and work fine the taxi, and fixed also the briefings. Enjoy!
"War is the art of lie"

Alfie Noakes

• Art Director
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2020, 01:00:33 AM »

I found this whist researching the campaign.......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13294524

"Today two boxes full of bombs arrived," he wrote in a letter to his father, sent from Naples. "We are expected to throw them from our planes."

"It is very strange that none of us have been told about this, and that we haven't received any instruction from our superiors. So we are taking the bombs on board with the greatest precaution.

"It will be very interesting to try them on the Turks."   

"Near the seat, I have fixed a little leather case with padding inside. I have laid the bombs in it very carefully. These are small round bombs - weighing about a kilo-and-a-half each. I put three in the case and another one in the front pocket of my jacket."   

o_O

"After a while, I notice the dark shape of the oasis. With one hand, I hold the steering wheel, with the other I take out one of the bombs and put it on my lap."

"I am ready. The oasis is about one kilometre away. I can see the Arab tents very well.

"I take the bomb with my right hand, pull off the security tag and throw the bomb out, avoiding the wing.

"I can see it falling through the sky for couple of seconds and then it disappears. And after a little while, I can see a small dark cloud in the middle of the encampment.

"I have hit the target! 

8)

Cheers

Alfie
Everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds

Nero

• "Chi vola vale, chi non vola è un vile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 07:05:34 AM »

Thanks Alfie, very interesting letters from gavotti s family. Gavotti later become an instructor in ww1, these early pilots that was in Libya was all technicians, gavotti was an engineer, with high technical skills, later as the ww1 began many become pilots, also normal people's even could after few weeks of training (not enough ofc) with those early biplane (but they wasn't so easy to fly, for example you couldn't leave the cloche not even for 1 second, when in the early war they stood up to fire with MG the cloche was keep with legs, in today planes you can leave the cloche too they don't fall immediately. The Italian Air force have a replica of the spad xiii of Francesco baracca and the pilot who fly it, a retired pilot middle aged, sad "with these machines you can't loose the cloche" ) but these early pioneers was almost all technicians before ww1. Engineers, military engineers, artillery officers (especially the observers), and cavalry officers. Today fly require much more knowledge and skills and training also physicals, but the early one was very capable too, often they built of their own their planes like Caproni, or garros who helped morane saulnier in design of the planes.
"War is the art of lie"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 24 queries.