Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Template extractor for building templates  (Read 2445 times)

Nowekat

• Modder
Re: Template extractor for building templates
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 10:12:16 AM »

There are no misplaced objects. This red square is wrong and has also nothing to do with the overblending areas.

With "1" you just get every object thats why ever somewhere on a texture in the whole map and not just a template. If you don't get objects with "2", a texture was not populated with a template. Is that texture populated at all on this map? These objects may be just overshooting objects of an other templates or manually added or shifted ones.

vonOben

• Modder
  • Wer den Tod fürchtet, hat das Leben verloren.
    • vonOben's Flight Sim Mods
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2020, 11:32:29 PM »

There are no misplaced objects. This red square is wrong and has also nothing to do with the overblending areas.

Could you explain this further, please?

In what way is the red square wrong, it's painted on the tga texture so I don't understand how could it be wrong?

Here's the texture with the red frame:

I got the idea from a Aviaskins Forum thread here:
http://forum.aviaskins.com/showthread.php?t=2212

As a newbie to Autopop and Objectset it seemed as a good idea to know where the border of the tile is, I've read that it was important when making templates for Autopop not to put objects outside the tile border.

So when working with Template Extractor and making new templates for Objectset you shouldn't have any objects in the lower blue square they should be in the upper green square instead?

In my case the RGB 12 areas was not populated by a template AFAIK, so therefore I must use multiple position 1.

But I figured out a better approach for such cases:
Use your "Road, rail & town extractor" to extract the RGB you want to use Template Extractor on.
Then make backup copies of ed_m01.tga and ed_m02.tga for the map you want to use Template Extractor on.
Copy & paste the texture created by the "Road, rail & town extractor" onto ed_m01.tga and save. Resize 2x and copy & paste onto ed_m02.tga and save. Quit ed_m01.tga without saving!
Now when you open the map in FMB it's easy to find the areas where this RGB is used and to find areas you want to extract.
On the tga created by the "Road, rail & town extractor" erase all areas you are not interested in extracting and save it as map_t.tga in the Template Extractor folder and then run the Template Extractor.

That worked well for me anyway.  :)
vonOben's Flight Sim Mods  http://vonoben.free.fr/ Twenty Years online January 3, 2022!

Nowekat

• Modder
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2020, 11:11:57 AM »

Yes, if you place objects maually, you should fill the upper green area and not the lower blue one. If you measure the y value of the lower red line of your square, you will find the texture starts at y = 1400 meter and not at 1600 meter as it should as the texture size is 1600 meter. So the textures are shifted 200 meter to the south in the game, i don't know why.

But the autopop guy decided to follow the 1600 meter grid and so did i. So the lowest 200 meter of the texture are repeated 1600 meter higher at the highest 200 meters within the square to populate. If a texture is not completly tile save, you will notice a break there, its also visible at your texture. I remember i had some difficuilties to understand this system.

If you fill the blue area manually, it may work nevertheless. Seems i did not limit the objects readed by objectset by y >= 1600 meter. So such objects may be placed correctly on a map as all positions are normalized and the tiles are repetitive every 1600 meter. But i'm not shure about this and don't know what autopop makes here. But if it works, this is more a result of a bad coding style ;-) Using the extractor, there will be no objects in that lower texture tile line but only in the upper and both autopop as objectset work with this.

I allways thought, there is also a 200 meter texture shift from the east to the west, but your square seems to show there is no one.

The map_t prog was not intended for this, but it's fine if it's usefull here!

vonOben

• Modder
  • Wer den Tod fürchtet, hat das Leben verloren.
    • vonOben's Flight Sim Mods
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2020, 06:37:57 AM »

Thanks Nowekat.

That is essential information  ]thumbsup[, you should really update the readme's, so people understand how to use the "Template extractor" and the Objectset utility.

They are all excellent tools and good instructions and a template example might get more modders to use them IMHO.  ;)
vonOben's Flight Sim Mods  http://vonoben.free.fr/ Twenty Years online January 3, 2022!

Nowekat

• Modder
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2020, 12:00:12 PM »

Thank you. Great idea, but not easy to realize, i will see. Good luck further on with your map!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 25 queries.