Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jets become uncontrollable when too close to ground  (Read 422 times)

Clint Watters

Jets become uncontrollable when too close to ground
« on: May 25, 2020, 03:18:36 PM »

Here's another question for you guys, I'm sure it's just an auto pilot thing that causing this but I'll ask anyway because I can't find it and I don't know what it's called.
When flying low in a jet these days typically landing on a carrier for example, jets have a tendency to tip either left or right real hard. It's nice to wanna save me from my horrible landing approach but I must try to get better hehe  :P
If you guys know what I'm talking about please explain how to remove this devil out of the plane.
Only seems to happend on modern jets, F-86's and Panthers are not concerned about this.
Cheers !

FL2070

• Modder
  • FAC #87
Re: Jets become uncontrollable when too close to ground
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 05:16:42 PM »

Pulling hard left or right is simply an asymmetric stall, and to avoid stalls, fly faster. If you're trying to land at 200 km/h, try at 220. If you're trying at 220, try 240, etc.
On average, the average average averages, averagely, the average average of all averages.

WxTech

• Modder
Re: Jets become uncontrollable when too close to ground
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 06:16:16 PM »

If you have wind set to a non-zero value, the Wind.class code causes the wind to decrease linearly once you go below 10m above the surface. I don't know if this transition is raised so as to be 10m above a carrier deck, or if it remains at 10m above sea level. I almost think it should be lifted over a carrier due to the deck being treated as a kind of 'ground' upon which to alight.

Going on poor memory, I recall that at the surface the wind is 1/2 as strong as at 10m. If you have a brisk wind, the rate of change within that shallow 10m zone is not small. Can lead to stalls.

In my modded class file, I raised the height of the transition to 30m. But I also made the surface wind go to zero because of the otherwise annoying weathercocking of the plane in any kind of crosswind.

This is one thing to scrutinize in respect of the odd behavior of the moving wind sock and flag mod when used with my Wind.class.....
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 26 queries.