Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A "speech" issue  (Read 881 times)

ol' Navy

A "speech" issue
« on: May 13, 2020, 05:53:56 PM »

OK, before you guys fuss at me for asking - please remember that I am 77 yrs old and not very smart.  For some reason, I am not getting any speech when playing the game.  All the rest of the sounds, engine, guns, etc seem OK but nobody says anything.  I am assuming that the problem is something I did (or did not do), but in your vast knowledge of such things, is there something I need to take a look at, change, whatever?  I am completely up to date mods wise, and I never put anything into my game except when you guys tell me to.  Thanks for the help.  I guess this sounds a little cryptic but that is the way my mind seems to work these days.  Appreciate any opinions.

cbradbury

Re: A "speech" issue
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 01:54:53 AM »

Funny that you should say that, ol’Navy – neither am I.

First thing is to check your config.ini. And make sure that the speech is set to ‘on’:

NoChatter=0 is the line you should have. If it says NoChatter=1, then speech is off.

Having said that, back to the problem. I disabled speech a while ago as above in the config (it was working fine at that stage). Yesterday I wanted speech for a mission so changed the setting back – but no one talks (latest version of BAT). I had to turn subtitles back on the find out what my flight were saying.

So it might not be you! Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than us (I think that might be just about everyone) can help. The only sound-related mod I added recently was Victor's sound mod. Thinking it may be that I disabled it, but it made no difference - no one wants to talk to me!

Yours,

Clive

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 08:30:14 AM »

There is no such bug in BAT. This problem is a setting thing on your end.

The contents of your speech folders isn't affected by BAT, you can manage the content of this to your own liking, always could.

vonofterdingen

• Missioneer
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 09:18:46 AM »

ol'Navy, on your main screen click the Setup button (bottom right) then Sound Setup. Make sure that your Voice volume is on.

cbradbury

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 09:45:40 AM »

There is no such bug in BAT. This problem is a setting thing on your end.

The contents of your speech folders isn't affected by BAT, you can manage the content of this to your own liking, always could.

I know - it is a real mystery, vampire. Other than setting NoChatter=1, I made no other changes to the sound setup (this was several months ago). I tried disabling every mod I have in BATMODS - still no sound with NoChatter=0. Just have to live with it - at least I still have subtitles! I'm not too bothered, I turned 'em off in the first place because I found them annoying...especially my gunner when I do really bad helicopter landings - everyone's a critic...

ol' Navy

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 03:16:19 PM »

Thank you for your help and patience.  For as long as I have kinda participated in this forum (seldom to share my expertise, most often 'cause I am stuck some place), you guys have been great help to me, and as usual, I appreciate it back then and now.  I have some checking to do obviously.  Thanks again.

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 10:36:57 PM »

voice volume down? You can turn that down independently, see above.
Did you accidentally move the folder?

/IL2 main directory/Samples/Speech/... country folders

cbradbury

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 01:43:27 AM »

Did you accidentally move the folder?

No - but I appear to have deleted all but three of the country speech files in it! I've had to extract them from the BAT install packs and now they shout at me again!

Thanks vampire for reminding me to always check the obvious first..

ol' Navy

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 03:01:10 PM »

Well, I don't think so, but I just never know.  I'm not real sure what I had for breakfast this a.m.  I try not to move/delete/add/modify anything, anything to or from my game except what I read about herein and seems to be harmless.  And then I most often can't do it without detailed instructions from one of you smart guys  I am just never sure what such actions would have.  I'll look.  Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 28 queries.