Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Fairey Firefly FR 1 Skin  (Read 8541 times)

R33GZ

Fairey Firefly FR 1 Skin
« on: April 26, 2020, 08:31:57 PM »

Im wondering how I go about altering the default skin for the Franken Firefly FR 1   https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,33979.0.html

Ive learned that, since it is a franken plane that appears to be made from a Spitfire (MkV?) a P-40 (E/M?), Fulmar and possibly an MS 406... its not possible to simply, make a skin for it as it is taken from multiple parts of different planes. Anyway, after looking through the mod folder I can see the different skin .tga files that, once assembled, result in the default skin seem in game.

If I were to change the paint job for those files, would it result in a change to the default skin. I would like to make it more accurate for BPF operations, such as Palembang and Sakishima.

One last question, does anyone know why they are 512 as opposed to 1024?

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

Mission_bug

• Modder
Re: Fairey Firefly FR 1 Skin
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 05:45:52 AM »

Hello R33GZ, altering the schemes of Franken planes such as this is quite difficult to do and equally hard to try and explain I am sorry to say. ;)

You are better relying on the existing scheme if you absolutely have to use that particular model, however, there is a up to date proper Firefly available that was imported into the game by Dimon, you will find it at another site though not here and I do not know if it is 4.09 compatible as I use mine in a 4.12 install but there are skins available for it representing various nationalities.

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

R33GZ

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 10:05:50 PM »

Hey Pete, thanks for the reply. Yes, late last night I did find that firefly as well as a whole bunch of BPF skins for it and very quickly decided that installing that model was the more sane option. It needed a few modified dlls, but otherwise works fine in vpmod 4.12

Cheers
Regan

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 12:58:42 AM »

One last question, does anyone know why they are 512 as opposed to 1024?

... 512 was the stock skin format (even for maps), way back in the ancient times (IL2 is 20 years now ...!), and when the sim was released, a 128 Mb GC was the very best you could buy ...  :P

Today there are 2096 skins in 24 bit format and GCs with 8 Gb ...  ;)

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 02:47:51 AM »

Hey Pete, thanks for the reply. Yes, late last night I did find that firefly as well as a whole bunch of BPF skins for it and very quickly decided that installing that model was the more sane option. It needed a few modified dlls, but otherwise works fine in vpmod 4.12

Cheers
Regan

Good to know you found it Regan, much less hassle than trying to skin a Franken I can tell you from personal experience, it is a very nice model as well and with a great selection of skins is really a no brainer.

I am surprised that Gabriel and the IES team have not added this into the 4.09 stable as they have already used some the models Dimon made available, and
besides the Firefly there is a proper Walrus available as well for those sea faring types. ;)

... 512 was the stock skin format (even for maps), way back in the ancient times (IL2 is 20 years now ...!), and when the sim was released, a 128 Mb GC was the very best you could buy ...  :P

Today there are 2096 skins in 24 bit format and GCs with 8 Gb ...  ;)

Thank you very much for answering some of Regan's question Mick, really appreciated, I wasn't taking a lot of notice it seems and didn't take in that bit about skin size. :D

Take care and be safe.

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 04:11:36 AM »

I am surprised that Gabriel and the IES team have not added this into the 4.09 stable as they have already used some the models Dimon made available ... ;)

... not yet released because the wings folding movement needs a complete reshuffle as it is currently totally bugged, as wings go through the gears while being folded, their pivot point being misplaced ...   :-X

3D work needed, and Gawd fucked it all up, when he made days as short as 24 hours ...!  :P

Epervier

• 4.09 Guardian Angel !
  • SAS Team
  • I'm French and Rebel_409! Nobody is perfect!
    • Some tinkering here
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 04:59:05 AM »

I am surprised that Gabriel and the IES team have not added this into the 4.09 stable as they have already used some the models Dimon made available ... ;)
... not yet released because the wings folding movement needs a complete reshuffle as it is currently totally bugged, as wings go through the gears while being folded, their pivot point being misplaced ...
3D work needed, and Gawd fucked it all up, when he made days as short as 24 hours ...!
Mega-WIP : https://www.mediafire.com/?p9ga7f768eb294a
Movement of the wings to be completely revised!
I'm not good in 3D...
And with Corona I don't want to work on IL-2 anymore !
If your results do not live up to your expectations, tell yourself that the great oak was once an acorn too. - Lao Zi -

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 05:31:40 AM »

Hello guys, that explains why I have seen very little activity in the 4.09 stable of late. :o

The trouble with many of these imports is that there is still much to do to make them fully compatible with IL-2, I am looking at making a template for the Avro Anson, however, that texture is a odd shape and I thought maybe it would be better to re-map the thing, then slapped myself and thought do not go there. :D

I will tinker with the template for now and see what exactly I can achieve though. :P

Many of us have or are loosing the will to do theses things sadly, as for Firefly, to be honest I never tried the wing fold, not a fan of carriers really so I just assumed Dimon would have dealt with that my test was done from a normal airfield. ;)

Take care and be safe.

Epervier

• 4.09 Guardian Angel !
  • SAS Team
    • Some tinkering here
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 05:57:02 AM »

... to be honest I never tried the wing fold, ...
A lot of tests are done and require corrections (3D, coding, ...) and sometimes it takes a lot of time to do them!
Minimal or major !
I don't accept to broadcast mods if there are too visible horrors like the folding of the wings.
But to correct this problem you have to make 3D modifications on the 4 concerned wing pieces... and I'm very bad with 3ds !
In my game, planes have their wings folded whether on the ground or on a carrier !

If your results do not live up to your expectations, tell yourself that the great oak was once an acorn too. - Lao Zi -

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 12:44:27 PM »

Hello Gabriel, the 4.12 version actually leaves the wings in the deployed position if you start on a runway, they are folded on a carrier, on this particular aircraft the wing moves in part through the undercarriage door which looks odd, however, I just watched a video of the real thing and I think it would be fairly difficult to replicate for our game. :-|

Just look at the piece the crew man moves to allow the process to begin.

I have not myself tried any 3d for a wing fold, however, from doing other things it might be possible to leave as it is but try different orientations using the Matrix tools until it moves as per your own java code, you might get lucky, maybe not but worth a try.

If that fails I could put the meshes into gmax for you and turn them into the direction you think might work, try and give me a little image of what direction you think might be appropriate to work with your code, I am not the brightest with math so you will need to give me a clue. ;)

Take care and be safe.

Epervier

• 4.09 Guardian Angel !
  • SAS Team
    • Some tinkering here
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 01:28:30 PM »

I've watched several videos.
And so I noticed that the pivot points for the inner and outer wing are misplaced!
On this screen you will see in red the current positions and in green what would be better.
The polygons are for the inner wing and the circles for the outer wing!

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 01:47:30 PM »

Hello Gabriel, I will take a look and see what I can do, I used the link you provided as your model will most likely have changes from mine. ;)

Take care and be safe.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 27 queries.