Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steam game Airplane Mechanic  (Read 148 times)

jpten

Steam game Airplane Mechanic
« on: March 27, 2020, 12:40:22 PM »

Came across this last night, haven't tried it yet.  Early access game released Feb 13, 2019.  It  puts you in a role of an RAF ground crewman at the start of the Battle of Britain. You will face various tasks ranging from simple refueling to engine repairs, patching bullet holes and gun harmonization. It has a campaign game where you are assigned a pilot and plane and the better you perform the longer/better they last.  81 missions, almost 800 parts to repair,maintain including ordering and waiting for parts.  At the moment it has only 3 planes,  Spitfire Mk.1, Tiger Moth, Mosquito.  I'll probably get it this weekend.  Has anyone else tried it?  They also do a car and tank mechanic games so the game has a predecessor and follow-on as far as game and game engine success.

jpten

Re: Steam game Airplane Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 02:12:13 PM »

I checked out a few player posted vids and had quite a laugh at this one.  Poster is doing the training missions on a Tiger Moth.  If you want the best part jump to 15:27 in the vid where he spends time on a ladder looking for the left cowling on the top wing.  His first mission had him open the right cowling but apparently he hadn't processed that into long term memory yet.
Sorry for any ads, it is Youtube after all....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYx9ZMaLkAA

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 02:18:32 PM »

I've had it basically since it came out.  It's not bad but obviously aimed at a niche crowd.  The GUI has a little bit of a learning curve but once you get used to it, it's no problem.
Here's my two cents:

Pros
- very detailed(within reason) with nice graphics.
- gives you a really good idea of what's involved in taking apart a RR Merlin engine
- unloading, reloading and boresighting the machine guns

Cons
- taskings get pretty repetitive very quickly
- figuring out where the problem is exactly in the engine can be tiresome (i.e. stripping everything down until you find a defective part), there's no guidance (i.e. "you should probably check the fuel pump" etc, you're kinda fumbling around in the dark which is frustrating when you are on a timer.
- despite all the detail you can't get into the cockpit and test run the engine etc
- no other 'life' on the base, just you and some background noise and some aircraft that fly past occasionally, the base is essentially deserted, including the 'lifeless' fuel truck
- only 3 aircraft

Bottom line:  if you are a tinkerer at heart this will scratch that itch in a digital fashion however I believe the serious engine people will get bored pretty quickly.  Hopefully they'll add more aircraft (US and British) and maybe an option for aircraft on the other side (i.e. German and Japanese).  Given that I'm flying a Pacific carrier campaign in IL2 at the moment, a carrier version of this would also be pretty cool

jpten

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 08:59:29 PM »

Thank you very much.  I'll probably watch it for a while and see if they add some more before I get it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 27 queries.