Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SPAD XIII gunsight  (Read 2768 times)

Airbourne

• Nil Desperandum
SPAD XIII gunsight
« on: March 24, 2020, 03:48:57 AM »

The SPAD XIII has a rather poor arrangement of guns and gunsight so that you can only see part of the sight and the gunfire goes to the extreme left of the sight. The original model from Aviaskins was even worse because you could not see where the gunfire was going at all. I designed the present arrangement but I am well aware of its failings. Here is a picture. The guns are firing but unfortunately the picture doesn't pick up the tracer trail.

I have now changed things. The gunsight telescope had to go because it served no useful purpose and it blocked the view of the sight. Gunfire now goes to the centre of the sight as it should. I have also pulled the camera point back a little. It is not apparent from the picture but it gives you a much better all round view which is important with these biplanes and their intrusive top wings.

If you want to make this change you can download my fix here: see new link at reply 6 down the page.

This is arranged as a JSGME mod for DOF. Just put it in 'My mods' and activate like any other mod.

Vampire_pilot

Re: SPAD XIII gunsight
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 09:37:17 AM »

very nice, thanks!

This belongs more to tech help though.
I'll be earmarking this for the next patch!

Alfie Noakes

• Art Director
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 02:50:36 PM »

+1

Very useful little mod  ;D
Makes the XIII that little bit more deadly !

Cheers

Alfie
Everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds

Airbourne

• Nil Desperandum
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 03:10:11 AM »

Thanks. This was one of the great planes of world War One and deserved to be the killer it was!

Incidentally the pictures are of the pilot's sighting screen obviously but I have pulled back the viewpoint a little in the regular cockpit screen too and that is in the fix, though not pictured.

whistler

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 02:05:43 PM »

Thanks Airborne! Good idea. This plane is in need of a working tubesight but... usability first!

However, I disagree with this:

I have also pulled the camera point back a little. It is not apparent from the picture but it gives you a much better all round view which is important with these biplanes and their intrusive top wings.

Because you can now see through the plane when looking backwards.

Here is my hack: SPAD-XIII_Airborne+whistler.zip (already included in BAT v.3.8.3)

Just use a wider FOV if you need a wider view.
NG-HUD v3.6.1 | NG-MAP v3.2 | NG-CAM v2.0 | NG-PAL v1.2: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/board,93.0.html

Airbourne

• Nil Desperandum
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 03:24:30 AM »

Here's the thing. There were two fixes for the SPAD XIII gunsight: Whistler's and mine and their result is very different. I prefer mine and no doubt he prefers his. Fine you might think: they are each in JSGME and you can choose whichever you want. Except you can't. The new patch uses his fix and for technical reasons (I suspect the use of class files) my fix now doesn't work. I have tried removing the class files concerned but the game crashes. This is strange because his fix has the class files and you can obviously put them in and take them out with the fix if you use JSGME.

Anyone have any ideas how I might be able to get my fix working again? At the last count thirty people had downloaded my fix and now they are all stuck with a dud.

I want to be quite clear I am not blaming Whistler in any way.

whistler

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 07:09:51 AM »

Use this to get Airbourne's fix working in v3.8.3: #DOF_SPADXIII_Airbourne_v3.8.3.zip

You will see through the plane when looking back. That was (and still is) my main concern and I don't recommend the fix for this reason. Other than that, thanks Airbourne for your work!
NG-HUD v3.6.1 | NG-MAP v3.2 | NG-CAM v2.0 | NG-PAL v1.2: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/board,93.0.html

Airbourne

• Nil Desperandum
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 09:42:16 AM »

Thanks Whistler; that's very kind of you. As you will have gathered, I don't care what the plane looks like looking back and now everyone can choose how they want their SPAD to be.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 25 queries.