Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need to identify a ship-based damage effect  (Read 239 times)

WxTech

• Modder
Need to identify a ship-based damage effect
« on: March 21, 2020, 01:07:33 PM »

In the course of rationalizing the behavior of ground and sea damage smokes to a common standard, I find myself unable to ID the effect for damage to such ship parts as AA guns. In my 4.12.2 modact 5.3 game, this damage is indicated with a cartoonishly thin, straight-line smoke of near-constant width and short duration.

Can anyone tell me this effect's name and location? (I'll probably slap my forehead upon being informed!  ;)  )

Thanks!

[added in EDIT]

Turns out I didn't copy over to my game *all* extracted effect files. The files in question are located in Effects/Smokes/
and are named:

SmokeGunTiny.eff, SmokeGunSmall.eff, SmokeGunMedium.eff, SmokeGunLarge.eff and SmokeGunHuge.eff.

The complementary fire effects are named the same, but with "Fire" added to the end.

WxTech

• Modder
Re: Need to identify a ship-based damage effect
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 04:45:43 PM »

I've done a search through all class files for instances of effects (".eff"); no joy here. No extracted effects seem to apply.

Could it be the case that there are effects pointed to only through a .dll, and so we can not know their name/location? Or might it be that not every last effect has been successfully identified/extracted?

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 04:55:08 AM »

I only have a filelist for 4.10 effects, but TD changed effects around in 4.12 so I could not extract all the eff files with this outdated sfs extarctor list.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 11:38:30 AM »

That puts the issue into better perspective. I suppose it would be something of a crap shoot trying to guess the effect's name/location and plugging it into the files list, eh. ;)

Am I correct in suspecting that some effects might be assigned outside of class files, such as in a .dll perhaps? Which could be why I'm not finding any otherwise 'unknown' effect name turning up in any of the ship related classes?

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 11:43:39 AM »

If logic were a guide, this new effect would likely reside in Effects/Smokes/.

Potential names might be:

ShipGunDamage.eff
ShipGunDamageSmoke.eff

Or some such like variants? I should try this...

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 09:22:23 AM »

It turns out I didn't copy over to my game *all* extracted effect files. The files in question are located in Effects/Smokes/
and are named:

SmokeGunTiny.eff, SmokeGunSmall.eff, SmokeGunMedium.eff, SmokeGunLarge.eff and SmokeGunHuge.eff.

The complementary fire effects are named the same, but with "Fire" added to the end.

I made changes and got the desired results.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 26 queries.