Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chaco War - Flying for Bolivia 1932-33  (Read 3270 times)

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
Chaco War - Flying for Bolivia 1932-33
« on: February 29, 2020, 02:45:14 AM »

Yes, more campaigns for TGA, a period I am very fond of!  :)

This is a semi-historical, 26-mission static campaign, set during the Chaco War during the period of 1932 to 1933. You are a pilot in the Bolivian airforce, flying a variety of aircraft. It uses the Chaco War Mod Pack. The campaign starts with the outbreak of real hostilities between Bolivia and Paraguay in July 1932, and goes on until the truce in December 1933, which halted the fighting, temporarily. The front-lines and the happenings on the ground follows history closely.

During the campaign you will use a variety of aircraft all used in the actual war: the Vickers Type 143 (i.e. Bristol Bulldog II), the Breguet XIX, the Curtiss Osprey, the Curtiss F11C Goshawk and the Junkers Ju-52 Transport. The mission will also vary a lot: you will fly fighter combat patrols, recce, bombing, close support, transport missions etc. The campaign also uses CY6's C&C mod, which means that weather, time of day, ground forces and the aerial opposition will vary a lot, even if you replay the same mission. This also means that some combat patrols will be quite un-eventful - as in real life!

You can download it here: http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads3&file=details&id=2040

Historical background: The discovery of oil in the Andean foothills sparked speculation that the otherwise barren Chaco area might be a rich source of petroleum, and foreign oil companies became eager to exploit them. The problem was that this until now quite forgotten area was disputed territory, claimed by both Bolivia and Paraguay since the 19th century. So the lure of coming riches and the manipulations of the oil companies drove the countries towards full scale conflict. (With the Royal Dutch Shell backing Paraguay and Standard Oil supporting Bolivia.)

On June 15, 1932, a Bolivian detachment captured and burned to the ground a small Paraguayan fort ("fortín") - and in the process disobeying direct orders by Salamanca, the Bolivian President, to avoid provocations in the Chaco region. One month later, on July 16, a Paraguayan detachment evicted the Bolivian troops from the area. Salamanca then ordered the Paraguayan outposts of Corrales, Toledo and Boquerón to be captured. It was the start of the largest and costliest war in Latin American modern history.

It is Vampire Pilot who has updated this campaign to BAT/TGA - Thanks man!  ]cheers[ A campaign for Paraguay will follow soon.

Thanks for looking  :)
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

Vampire_pilot

Re: Chaco War - Flying for Bolivia 1932-33
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 03:18:49 AM »

It was a pleasure :)
Please take note of the many rectified tube sights by Whistler.

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 04:27:03 AM »

Indeed - you can use the Breuget XIX much better now!  ;)
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

vonofterdingen

• Missioneer
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 01:33:27 PM »

Great period piece. Many thanks for the update!

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 02:04:55 PM »

It only goes to show what a GREAT flight combat sim modded IL-2 really is. There is no 20th century conflict in the air that you can't do with this game. The content is just HUGE!  :)

Zflyer48

• Modder
  • There is no failure in doing; only in not trying.
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 02:08:07 PM »

Flown first 4 missions. Enjoyed them all. Many thanks to all involved. Well done.

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 03:15:04 PM »

Thanks! I have really tried to follow history in both my Chaco War campaigns - both on the ground and in the air. Therefore the variety in missions and aircraft - and not too many dogfights. Luckily there are a number of good books!

Orge Schwab

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 04:07:40 PM »

I'm no authority on the subject, but it seems this war is satirized in "Tintin and The Broken Ear" by Belgian artist, Hergé (published 1937). Particularly the bit about the war being caused by international oil companies, representatives of which are seen in the book bribing 'General Alcazar' (Salamanca) to begin a war of territorial expansion against his neighbour.
According to Wikipedia: "Hergé used The Broken Ear to allude to real events that had recently taken place in South America. The fictional countries of San Theodoros and Nuevo Rico were based on the real countries Bolivia and Paraguay, while the Gran Chapo War depicted in the strip was an allusion to the Chaco War (1932–35) that was waged between Bolivian and Paraguayan forces over lucrative oil fields in the Gran Chaco region. The name "Gran Chapo" was a pun on the French 'grand chapeau', meaning "big hat", while the name Nuevo Rico was a pun on 'nouveau riche' and the name of the Nuevo Rican capital city, Sanfación, was a pun on 'sans façon', meaning "without manners".

I just took a look at it (it's available online) and a Breguet Wibault-Penhoet 283 (similar to a transport Tante Ju) - along with what looks like a Dornier flying boat - are accurately depicted. Essential background reading... :-|

Nero

• "Chi vola vale, chi non vola è un vile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 07:13:22 AM »

Thanks! I have really tried to follow history in both my Chaco War campaigns - both on the ground and in the air. Therefore the variety in missions and aircraft - and not too many dogfights. Luckily there are a number of good books!

Thinking to a short 4 or 5 mission campaign in the war between Peru and colombia in early 30.the incident of... I don't remember. With the Peruvian side, caproni bombers even.
"War is the art of lie"

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 02:35:32 AM »

Nero! You are the man to do that campaign, for the so called Leticia incident!

There is a pretty good new book on that subject, called "Air War ovber the Putumayo", by Tincopa and Rivas. Check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 26 queries.