Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there an Il-2 cockpit re-work more recent than Greif11's of late 2017?  (Read 463 times)

WxTech

• Modder

I ask because I'm wondering how far to go with my own tweaking to Andrew's (and other contributors) already fine product. My present efforts are being directed toward the earliest variant having the optical gunsight. What I've done this far:

- Added my own PBP-1 sight.
- Replaced the armored glass texture.
- Raised the seat.
- Somewhat enlarged the headrest.
- Narrowed down the frame edging for the non armored perspex.
- Located the cowling so as to not show a gap just ahead of the armored windscreen.
- For 4.12 (and possibly 4.10/4.11????), expanded the range of 6DoF movement.
- Covered holes in the forward compartment that could be seen with my expanded 6DoF movement range.
- Corrected a few other slight gaps in cabin elements, by matching vertices.
- Tweaked some textures.

Would like to do:
- Build at least a very basic rear cabin, mainly to fix the unrealistically good rearward visibility due to the missing obstruction.
- Perform at least some rudimentary rounding of the crudely angular canopy.
- Turn the current cowling from a fixed-texture thing to one that uses the actual external skin.
- Possibly make the canopy openable. But I currently know nothing of how the real thing worked; I've not yet begun any halfway serious investigation into the plane.

Anywho... Am I effectively reinventing the wheel (if some other mod I'm not aware of exists)?

WxTech

• Modder

With no report of knowledge of a more recent 'pit re-work than Greif's, I'll provisionally take that nothing of note has been done since. More work done on the early model:

I have gone ahead with filling in more of walls of the aft cabin (in which a fuel tank is located), so as to cover up the big gaps seen when looking through the rear bulkhead windows.

About those just mentioned windows (immediately flanking the headrest)... No texture has ever been put there, but it seems like they were armored glass, and so I'll add a texture for that glass type.

Back to the aft cabin. Pictures of the early Il-2 show a continuous piece of perspex covering it, with no metal 'roof' as suggested in the game's cabin 3-D (although it does have the correct arrangement in the external model.) I will follow suit for the interior model, removing the 'roof' bit and making the covering all perspex. This will improve the view rearward, as permitted also by the expanded 6DoF range (for the fortunate among us using head tracking gear.)

Incidentally, with the expanded 6DoF range, when moving the virtual pilot forward (almost kissing the gun sight ;) ) and upward, the view looking back over the upper edge of the roof is not that bad! More so with my expanded range for head swiveling, where now I can look straight back to 180 degrees.) When pulling G to avoid attack, you can now see the following attacker if he's not yet rather close.

WxTech

• Modder

In my photo researches I find many areas in detail where our cockpit model differs from reality. Sometimes rather significantly. I have to fight my impulse to fix everything. ;)

One thing that was easy to get right was the removal of all the screw heads surrounding the various panel gauges. The panel cover plates as represented are what I call the "beauty covers", which present a clean panel to the pilot. The gauges are seen through holes in a tidy covering which hides the messy panel base plate underneath.

WxTech

• Modder

The armored glass texture in the window cutouts of the aft bulkhead definitely add to the ambience. Previously these openings were empty, which is so wrong. I should add one or two damage textures like I did for the F4F, where an impact makes a dense spider web cracking.

WxTech

• Modder
Re: Is there an Il-2 cockpit re-work more recent than Greif11's of late 2017?
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 03:46:36 AM »

Something I'd long contemplated, but never planned specifically to do this time around, I actually did. And that's replace the simple opaque lines which suggest the segmenting of the three forward armored glass panels. Now I've added the properly thick, partially transparent edges for the 'seams' which delineate the interlocking pattern of the several glass pieces which make up the whole. An improvement worth the effort.

I thought I added a post the other day about the improved rearward visibility afforded by the increased 6DoF limits. Now I can actually see dead six, with the vertical stabilizer just coming into view through either of the two small armored glass windows bracketing the headrest cushion.

Getting closer to calling this job done, with mod release following soon.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 03:51:10 AM »

I might add that the Il-2 appears to get little love. In my online researches I did not find a single Il-2 '46 YouTube video featuring this bird! Based on popularity, our beloved game should have been named, oh, maybe "Bf-109". ;)

bomberkiller

• Treffen sich zwei Jäger...!
  • Modder
  • Bf-109G-6/R6 = Bomber Killer
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 05:02:15 AM »

Based on popularity, our beloved game should have been named, oh, maybe "Bf-109".

8)     :)

Gerhard                           
FAC N° 9 ...cheers mein Schatz

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 09:12:37 AM »

I'm definitely looking forward to this, as I'm a huge fan of the Sturmovik since the start.
Few mods, yes....maybe most modders consider it too much of a 'sacred cow' :D
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 26 queries.