Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Il-2 Nostalgia...  (Read 3020 times)

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
Re: Il-2 Nostalgia...
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 12:56:43 PM »

Oh and just correct an injustice in my original post, my daughter had an interest in my computer work as well, and was impressed with the IL-2 / UQMG stuff, and thought it was cool her old man did something with video games, but she is definitely more into music.

But for all, it is always a pleasure being a part of this happy dysfunctional IL-2 family.

CzechTexan, I remember you from the beginning of course.  Didn't we discuss at some point the fairly large Czech community from Texas?  Especially in the town of West?  Man it has been years but even though my wife is gluten intolerant, she will take gluten-digestion pills just to have kolaches from West...

Forager, your compliment is appreciated, but I did fairly little for the community.  The stuff that QTim, the original AAA crew did, and now SAS is much more significant.

enry711, it is always awesome to have people grow in this community.  I have a nephew who has developed a liking to history, and am hoping to be able to bond with him... I mean, I have an insane-stupid number of military history books, most of them on military aviation...

vpmedia… at the time it was a badge of honor... then it faded...  but having your kids care about it, priceless.

BalDaddy, I hope you installed the community Single mission addon (https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,62119.0.html), which amongst countless content, contains the missions I released from the original Demos, so you can play them in BAT.  I still love playing those missions... every now and then I manage to come back in one piece in that P-39... I mean brutal weather, and you know, it made sense to be cautious of the Germans... those Ju-88 gunners were very, very, mean!

Mike, I know how you feel.  When CFS3 came out, an obvious attempt to compete with IL-2 with the "Tactical Air Combat from the Leader in Flight Sims!" motto, I was in the USA, specifically in Mississippi.  It was very hyped...  I installed in excitement because, the more the merrier.  I remember the complete sense of underwhelming feelings.  I gave it another whirl buying the Aircraft Powerpack… but it went directly to the shelf.  I have not really looked at it for years.  Don't know why I still have the boxes...  Something that to me was a lot more promising was the Strike Fighters series, including Project I, Wings Over Vietnam and Wings Over Europe.  I spent some time with it, not anything that compares with IL-2, but I thought it was a good project.  I tried Falcon series, and although Lock On and other DCS stuff was cool... I would rather fly a MiG-29 or a Viper in IL-2 to tell you the truth.

In summary, IL-2 was the only thing that gave me the type of satisfaction that the original Janes' WWII Fighters, as well as the very original pixel Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe sim gave me.  Janes' was never able to capture that kind of quality for WW2 stuff again.  The sad attempt at a SWOTL sequel was just that.  Sad.

But to come back to AAA...  that is a whole new post...  Let me take a drink...
Best Regards, UberDemon/danzigzag, Get UQMG at SAS BAT Mission area.  www.uberdemon.net no longer exists.

Gubi

• Flying Ass Clown #34
  • Modder
  • RIP
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 04:06:04 PM »

Prost.  Indeed.
I am a moron.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2020, 12:11:45 AM »

ended up with Neuro
That's where you lost your senses :P *SCNR*

I fart around with my DBW.
Little side story:
Now that I've been to South Africa lately and witnessed Piet's IL-2 rig and the internet connection he has (or rather: he's suffering from), I'm even more impressed of what he managed to create with DBW than I was before.
Imagine you've got a modem line from the 90s (56k, no kidding... that's what you get down in SA, regardless what they promise to you) and have to upload chunks of multiple gigabytes of well organized data. Let alone collecting all that required stuff, arranging it together with others, and getting that streamlined together with UP3.
A Herculean task.

CFS3 (...) I remember the complete sense of underwhelming feelings
That nails it from day one of CFS3's existence to it's well deserved demise.

Something that to me was a lot more promising was the Strike Fighters series, including Project I, Wings Over Vietnam and Wings Over Europe.  I spent some time with it, not anything that compares with IL-2, but I thought it was a good project.  I tried Falcon series, and although Lock On and other DCS stuff was cool... I would rather fly a MiG-29 or a Viper in IL-2 to tell you the truth.
I don't think IL-2's game engine will ever become suitable for supersonic jet stuff, but I'm happy to be convinced otherwise.
I've got the whole Strike Fighters series on my PC and to me it fits jet stuff much better than IL-2 does.
Falcon is great and I have it too, but never took the time to really learn the game (and you have to).
DCS... well... ehm... no, sorry, don't have that, for various reasons.

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

BalDaddy

• Old Scroat
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2020, 03:57:43 AM »

Oh and just correct an injustice in my original post, my daughter had an interest in my computer work as well, and was impressed with the IL-2 / UQMG stuff, and thought it was cool her old man did something with video games, but she is definitely more into music.

enry711, it is always awesome to have people grow in this community.  I have a nephew who has developed a liking to history, and am hoping to be able to bond with him... I mean, I have an insane-stupid number of military history books, most of them on military aviation...

vpmedia… at the time it was a badge of honor... then it faded...  but having your kids care about it, priceless.

Lovely that your children and other young relatives thought your simming activities were 'cool'....mine just used to yell, "Mummy! Daddy's playing 'Soppy Spitfires' again"!

Same at my business. I used to play EAW when the staff were out at lunch. When they discovered this they were running round the studio arms outstretched going "ratatatat!" I didn't mind, especially Kay my receptionist who had a fine pair of nacelles reminiscent of a Beaufighter!

As to CFS 3 'as close to the real thing as it gets' quoth the strapline.
No it wasn't.
Very excited about it as it featured such RAF kites as the Tiffie and the ETO which IL2 hadn't expanded into at the time. Along with 'Janes' Attack Squadron' and CLoD it didn't hold a candle to IL2 though it's legacy is of course the excellent "Wings Over Flanders Fields" and "Wings Over the Reich".

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2020, 04:08:10 AM »

the excellent "Wings Over Flanders Fields" and "Wings Over the Reich".
Haha, word autocorrect turned "excrement" into excellent :D

]cheers[
Mike

BalDaddy

• Old Scroat
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2020, 04:22:25 AM »

the excellent "Wings Over Flanders Fields" and "Wings Over the Reich".
Haha, word autocorrect turned "excrement" into excellent :D

]cheers[
Mike

I haven't either, just going by the enthusiasm seen on forums!

Knochenlutscher

• Flying Ass Clown #10
  • Modder
  • aka Segfej
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2020, 12:05:11 AM »

2002: Computerbild CD with full version IL-2
on a 333er PC,  :P roasted my pals gfx card within 5mins
2005: another run this time with Forgotten Battles
and a working setup
I registered first at M4T and AAA, due to a head trauma
I'm prone to forget passwords (partially dementia) and that multiplying till today...
Ran under forgotten aliases.
I was banned time after release of Me262 V-3 in spring 2009, Russian and German Members ranted like chicken even though
I was ought discrediting and disrespectfull over a mainwheel
assembly.
Tension heated up in early 2009 up till SAS creation Summer I guess. Shit not just boiled, but it was miserable at AAA and Banana Forum, Yevgenyij and his followers...

I still think Me262 V-3 is incomplete on mainwheel and historic setup. A rework is still on my table, slot ready, but R/L shortens my time
2 weeks

Don't forget Piets Racoon, a keyboard was soaked with coffee as I saw that pet first.  ;D
Wiseman : "Did you speak the exact words?" Ash : "Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah."

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2020, 12:08:04 AM »

I still think Me262 V-3 is incomplete
You should give UP3 a try.
We've reworked the V3 quite a lot.

]cheers[
Mike

Knochenlutscher

• Flying Ass Clown #10
  • Modder
  • aka Segfej
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2020, 12:09:11 AM »

Really, ahh, will download today, that's good News...
Wiseman : "Did you speak the exact words?" Ash : "Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah."

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2020, 12:18:30 AM »

Here for instance you can see how we've tested the engine's reaction time to throttle input.
This test uses fastest possible throttle movement on the early Jumo 004 without setting it up on fire. T1 denotes fastest time from idle to full throttle, ~14 seconds, T2 denotes the engine reaction to it ("rubberbanding" effect on throttle reaction), idle RPM to 8000 RPM, ~38 seconds.

]cheers[
Mike

Knochenlutscher

• Flying Ass Clown #10
  • Modder
  • aka Segfej
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2020, 03:32:16 AM »

That's the stuff with the old surge effect, cool you're still at it finetuning.
Kind regards
Tobias
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 26 queries.