Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Il-2 Nostalgia...  (Read 3021 times)

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
Il-2 Nostalgia...
« on: January 24, 2020, 10:38:07 PM »

OK, do we have any dads here?  I am sure a good number.

Sometimes you become a hero without meaning to be.  My son has seen me playing IL-2 before, but now that he is a bonified Minecraft expert, he had a more curious approach to it, particularly when he found out that in IL-2 you could build cities/scenes with all the objects in FMB.

We started having a conversation about IL-2 and how I got involved in the original project, and how I wrote a "mod" tool (he is all about hacking and modding) and how UQMG was mentioned and included in the CDs of PC Pilot and Computer Pilot magazines.  The thing that impressed him the most was seeing my name in the credits of the original IL-2 manual and Forgotten Battles...  it was really a silly thing, all I did was beta test, but to him I was like, Superman.

Anyway, I tend to talk too much, but the reason I posted this was because as I was digging for the original IL-2 box and manual I found this...

Man the memories.  How many of you are from the original "crew" these days?

In any way sorry for the diatribe, I was just going to post the pic.
Best Regards, UberDemon/danzigzag, Get UQMG at SAS BAT Mission area.  www.uberdemon.net no longer exists.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
Re: Il-2 Nostalgia...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 11:37:45 PM »

Nice one :)

How many of you are from the original "crew" these days?
Piet (CirX) has been around forever, but he's not the kind of guy who wants to be mentioned in manuals.
bomberkiller has been playing IL-2 since the first demo versions became available.
Jason Williams, nowadays the man behind IL-2 Great Battles, has been around since day one as well.

I myself am very late to the party, as I've been on the dark side of power (aka Microsoft Flight Sim series) doing beta testing and assisting in several projects ever since I was 16.
That was back in 1985, my first stuff was for MS Flightsim II, and the first participation in beta tests was for FS 3.0 then.
It wasn't before 2007/2008 (can't remember exactly anymore) that I've finally dropped the dreaded MS CFS series in favour of IL-2 1946.

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 01:35:31 AM »

nice find, and very interesting.
would it still play?

Speaking of memories of my own, I only recently dug through some old folders for some images and and came across this:
(no idea why I have stored it where I found it but it brings back memories of a long journey)

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 02:26:53 AM »

That's been exactly the time when I joined the IL-2 circus.
Patch 4.09b1m and AAA UI 1.0 were the greatest shit back then.
And AAA was the site to be.
Until SAS opened up that is :D

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

BalDaddy

• Old Scroat
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 03:52:26 AM »

Obtained the Demo on release from a flight Sim exhibition at the National Motorcycle Museum and meeting comrades from our EAW playing squadron.
Quite a jump, learning how to fly the kites featured. Trundling for miles across the steps trying to get the IL2 into the air, and then there was the unrecoverable spin of the P39. We persevered, but i noticed many that had been top EAW 'Aces' on the Game Zone and Kali were discouraged having to start again and disappeared from the scene.
Shook Oleg's hand a year or two later, met such legends as Ian Boys at the same venue.

19 years later I think I may be just about getting the hang of the thing.

I don't suppose Oleg imagine in his wildest dreams that his great sim would still be popular nearly 2 decades later, thanks mainly to the talented community here and elsewhere.

bomberkiller

• Treffen sich zwei Jäger...!
  • Modder
  • Bf-109G-6/R6 = Bomber Killer
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 03:54:52 AM »

bomberkiller has been playing IL-2 since the first demo versions became available.

The good old times with AAA...!

Gerhard                           
FAC N° 9 ...cheers mein Schatz

Forager

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 07:23:06 AM »

UberDemon, first, thanks for all you have done for us and this sim.

This is my beta copy:

And this is it being installed on this windows 10 computer this morning.:

SAS~vampire_pilot, it does indeed still play.
It is a timed beta though so you have to set your computer date back to 2001 for it to work.

Anyone know the screenshot key?
I have beta screenshots from my last computer but cannot recall how to get  new ones.

bomberkiller

• Treffen sich zwei Jäger...!
  • Modder
  • Bf-109G-6/R6 = Bomber Killer
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 08:57:50 AM »

...simply "print" key.

;)
FAC N° 9 ...cheers mein Schatz

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 09:01:35 AM »

was seeing my name in the credits of the original IL-2

I know how you feel :)

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 11:15:26 AM »

I got IL-2 in 2002 so I guess you can call me one of the old-timers.  I've spent countless hours building missions and maps ...sometimes staying up til 2 or 3am...because I lose track of time when building maps.  I love this hobby!  :-*

enry711

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2020, 12:10:17 PM »

I saw Il-2 for the first time a long time ago, i was at a friend's house and he asked me if i wanted to watch a "more difficult game of planes than Blazing Angels"  ;D ;D ;D
I believe i had 9/10 years old back then. I was astonished by it and he made a copy of it's own disk for me.  When i was very little i played a lot CFS3 at my dad's PC (with noticeable results for a 6 year old XD)
and the tough of a similar plane game for me made me feel super-happy. I still have the original disk he gave me, and i keep it with pleasure.
We started exchanging missions and trying out several planes. We were discovering the tip of a world than in the future would have become my most played game ever....
Unfortunately we are not in touch anymore and the last time i saw him it was 2 years ago.
Back then i had 4.07 but then (thanks to my dad's help) i managed to install the patches until 4.10 and then 4.12.2 all the way to 4.13.1. I stationed a lot in 4.10, 4.12.2 and 4.13.

I play this game since i was 9 years old...10 years after and i'm still playing it intensively at least 5 times a week. It just makes me feel free.

Gubi

• Flying Ass Clown #34
  • Modder
  • RIP
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 12:32:19 PM »

...just now saw this...

1.  My 2 younger brothers, BB and Turk, were trying to get me into MSFS...  We larked a few times...but well you know.  They continued together and with whomever...
2.  One Christmas I opened a package and it was IL-2 (2001), from Turk.  I thanked him.
3.  My rig spit it out...couldn't run it.  C'est la vie.
4. ~year later, new rig.  Out of boredom loaded "IL-2".  Vuwalla…
5.  AAA salute.  Was never one of the partisans...was just a collector...
6.  ...ended up with Neuro and "Fusion Pack"...  That's where the Clowns started...
7. UltraPak came out shortly thereafter and the transformation was complete.
8. Now, I fart around with my DBW.
9. Cheers, Gentlemen
10. Prost
I am a moron.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 24 queries.