Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WAW RAF No. 112 Squadron  (Read 8826 times)

wern moldy

Re: WAW RAF No. 112 Squadron
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 11:50:21 PM »

Hello Mr Vampire pilot,
I started as flight lieutenant. I wasn't aware that this could somehow cause a problem; never has in the past.
If a solution isn't found, I suppose it's no major deal to start again and try a higher rank. I may improve my performance; I couldn't hit the side of a passenger liner in that Gladiator!

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 07:59:43 AM »

Ah, then there's your issue. If it never caused a problem before to not set the advised rank in a static campaign (DGen is a completely different thing!), then you are simply very lucky.
See, this advise about rank was given for a reason.

In Il-2 the word "rank" is kind of misleading. It is more of a "position in flight and squadron" setting.

highest rank: you are in the lead position of flight 1 in that squad. Always. No matter what the .mis file says.
lowest rank: Tail end charlie of the lowest flight in your squadron. Also no matter what the .mis files says.
Ranks in between: various wingmen positions and things like 2nd flight leader (if available)....

The actual rank name is just "show". You can even edit it to your own liking, the file is open in each county folder (for static campaign. DGen is different. The mission is generated around your choice there.) The game is really dumb in that regard in static campaign mode.

Add to this that if you start low, you will advance throughout the campaign (and therefore changing your position in the squad!) - but at an unpredictable pace, unknown to the campaign maker, depending on your scores....

And also add to that that the game dutifully ignores "AI only" settings for the player flight... your "rank" setting overrules this.

You see the problem?

Therefore any campaign and mission builder must take this into account and circumnavigate this behavior of the game by choosing his squadrons in the mission carefully, to make sure you end up in the flight you're supposed to be, particularly in heavily populated missions.

The only way to be certain where a player actually ends up is two things:

1)Advise to set highest rank: Player will always be 1st flight leader. He can't advance at random. That's the safe bet for a campaign maker and makes most sense most of the time.
2)Make player flight unique. No other flight of that squad in the whole mission: Player can chose any rank and will always be in one of the four planes of that flight. But you cannot be sure which at any given time, that depends on what the player chose. Sometimes that's possible if it's not important that the player commands the flight. Wingmen and 3rd or 4th in a flight can't give commands after all. You will also not have the luxury of commanding any flight but yours in case of emergency even if you are flight leader!

So, long story short: If you are advised to start with a certain rank by a campaign maker: do it, or you will run into the situation you just did :)

KevinHoggard

• Missioneer
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 08:02:12 AM »

Yes you must choose the highest rank, this will allow you to command the squadron later in the campaign
4th Generation Intel

wern moldy

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2020, 03:37:04 PM »

Thank you all, for the swift and concise assitance.
I had absolutely no idea about the rank issue, despite many years on the sim.
I would always set a lower rank as a challenge to see how high I could be promoted as a result of my heroic exploits!

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2020, 04:25:14 AM »

Hey Kevin, I may have discovered a small bug in mission 29.

I was spawning in a sole P-40 and was wondering. In FMB I discovered a "C&C Dead Zone" object placed nearby, right under the air-spawning flight south. That zone is big enough to affect the whole airfield, effectively eliminating all flights but your single aircraft.

Could it be that this object is there by accident? Makes no sense to me.

KevinHoggard

• Missioneer
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2020, 04:57:32 PM »

Indeed you did... that flight was supposed to land back at the airfield. I must have added the C&C object when I was going through trying to tidy up.

Please post if any other problems arise then I will upload a .v2 of the campaign. Thanks for all your dedicated hard work vampire.
4th Generation Intel

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2020, 08:55:33 AM »

did you testfly this in campaign mode?
There is one mission that says time 2230 but actually is set to 1230 and in mission 38 the second flight can't taxi as it collides with houses in their way.
The spitfires also have some trouble on takeoff.... probably because they only have that one single waypoint? looks like an oversight.

UberDemon

• UberDemon/danzigzag
  • Modder
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2020, 04:49:15 PM »

As I always say... WOAH!

My wife was literally asking me about the origins of the shark mouth earlier today...

My mind is going crazy as I get older but if I recall the story, it was Charles Bond (AVG, 1st Pursuit Sq) that recommended the shark mouth design for the Flying Tigers based on pictures he had seen... I believe it was a RAF No 112 Sq picture or inspiration if I recall...
Best Regards, UberDemon/danzigzag, Get UQMG at SAS BAT Mission area.  www.uberdemon.net no longer exists.

genXgamer

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2020, 06:09:40 PM »

G'day Guys

I'm a little over half way through this campaign and require the ItalyExp map for the remaining missions which I do not have in my VP install.
Can someone please provide a link or share their map with me.
I want to see how this ends, I'm beginning to think the Allies might win the war.
Go in quickly - Punch hard - Get out!

David Prosser

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2020, 12:41:54 AM »

Cool.

rollnloop

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2020, 07:03:55 AM »

genXgamer

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2020, 06:11:21 PM »

G'day rollnloop

Thanks for that, perhaps one day I can return the favour.
Go in quickly - Punch hard - Get out!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 25 queries.