Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Wood Textures  (Read 3535 times)

Marat

New Wood Textures
« on: December 04, 2019, 10:29:35 AM »

Dear friends,

Does anybody know about knew wood textures? I read and saw at Russian site, that such mode is available, but that mod was not available for downloading, nor any link/reply for my request to share the same. Pls see the images. Looks very beautiful!

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
Re: New Wood Textures
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 11:33:33 AM »

Those are the stock trees, Forest=3 in the conf.ini.

Requires dedicated graphics card because it only works in OpenGL.

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 11:36:14 AM »

Btw there are a number of mods which replace the textures of these trees, for example:
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=40379.0

Marat

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 12:00:32 PM »

I play with OpenGl only with Forest set to 3 in the config ini. But I have this picture (pls see the image). The wood textures are not like in the above images. Only standalone (populated) trees are like there. My graphics card is NVidia Geforce 940MX, probably it is not capable of displaying such huge forest areas?

rollnloop

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 01:58:22 AM »

It looks great, have a link to russian thread ?

Marat

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 02:10:15 AM »

It is there
https://vk.com/topic-13113095_23890277
Page 9.
A guy showed those images requesting the other guy to share the mod. But was replied that he did not have such mod and the story was over at that point. The forest looks very great and it means that such mod or textures exist. That's why, being so interested in such forest textures, I decided to ask whether anybody knows about availability of such forests. I am sure all of us would be happy to have them

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 03:40:38 AM »

The problem is that those trees/forests have very limited visibility distance, 3-4 km iirc. You can generate them by calling your texture *__fields.tga and you have to include a greyscale .tree file which influences the tree distribution on that texture.

Marat

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 05:39:50 AM »

Sorry  :)
But could you please describe this in detail, cause I am very far from understanding what you've specified above. What I have to do step-wise?

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 10:40:25 AM »

A modder/map builder can adjust these type of things on a map. If you dont know about map modding then its hard to provide a step by step guide. You'll also have to use Photoshop to create the new textures. Is your goal to replace old style wood with this "new" autogenerated/limited visibility version on all maps?

marcost

• Modder
  • Keep calm and run away
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 10:58:22 AM »

The problem with creating ‘forests’ with the tree.tga method is that if you put enough trees to make it look good, clumps of trees disappear and reappear as you fly over and near them. This looks much worse than the normal tree pop-up we are used to.

Regards,

M

Marat

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 11:02:32 AM »

Oh! I did not realize that it is so difficult. I thought that it is something like a single "drop/forget" mod  :)
I did not think for having these beautiful forests, the maps should be reworked  :P
Of course I would be happy to have them in all my maps, but will never manage to do this, cause I know nothing about map modding!
Thank you very much for your explanations! At least now I've learned the things  :)
That was a bad idea

Marat

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 11:14:14 AM »

marcost, thank you too! Your info has been like a final nail in the coffin for my idea with forests  :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 28 queries.