Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How to remove S-shaped "stripes" on Bf 109G windscreen  (Read 378 times)

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
    • Old stuff about RB3D and a tiny "IL2 corner"
How to remove S-shaped "stripes" on Bf 109G windscreen
« on: December 02, 2019, 09:23:48 AM »

You may have noticed even on "stock" Bf 109G windscreen sort of stains like left by a bad cleaning, performed with a dirty cloth. These signs become particularly visible in bad light conditions, worsening already poor visibility.

I perused all TGA's inside the relevant cockpit folders, with no avail: none of them looks to me as the responsible of that condition.

Any help?
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - RAM: 2GB DDR @ 201 MHz - MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) - Vidcard: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) - Screen: L1750SQ (1280x1024@75Hz) - Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio.

marcost

• Modder
  • Keep calm and run away
Re: How to remove S-shaped "stripes" on Bf 109G windscreen
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 10:11:53 AM »

Hi,

There are some mods about called 'dynamic cockpit glass' or similar. I think I tried one for the spitfire a long time ago. If you can track that mod down, that may help you identify the relevant files?

Regards,

M

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 10:53:55 AM »

... I know what you mean, Greybeard, I got rid of that very dirty windscreen a long time ago ...  ;)

I am not sure, but normaly it is the Bf109F2AperPlex.tga texture that is responsible for it ...

... but it also depends on the cockpits mod you use, as sometimes this texture is not present, if I remember well, sometimes it is a texture called Glass.tga that is responsible for it ...

I hope this helps ...  ;)

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 12:54:49 PM »

You can also play around with its mat file values if you want to improve the glass texture.

Something like this always works, I bet you got something quite different.

Ambient 1.0
  Diffuse 1.0
  Specular 0.5
  SpecularPow 5

Delete any alpha channels in the image (25% size decrease) and adjust trasparency via mat file:

ColorScale 1.0 1.0 1.0 0.15

This is 15% transparency, that worked for me the best with glass.

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 12:45:10 AM »

Thank you all, gentlemen, for the competent help.

I further investigated, realizing that GreifWerke's Bf 109 cockpits is the mod responsible of the problem. Oddly enough, it shows only on non-Galland Hood canopies, as you may watch on following examples:

(same for G6/AS, G-10, G-14 and K-4)

(same for G-2)

Actually, on stock cockpits, the two files "Bf109F2AperPlex.tga" and "Bf109F2Aperture.tga" seem responsible of altered transparency, but on GW's 'pits, although present in the mod, these two files look as having no effect on glasses cleanliness: it picks that dirt elsewhere.
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - RAM: 2GB DDR @ 201 MHz - MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) - Vidcard: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) - Screen: L1750SQ (1280x1024@75Hz) - Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio.

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 01:28:29 AM »

... very interesting find, Greybeard, I'll check my non-Galland Hood canopies, as I also use Greif textures (may be somewhat tweaked...), and I can't recall having these dirty windscreens, otherwise I would have courtmarshalled my mechanic for long ...!   :D

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 04:47:35 AM »

... I would have courtmarshalled my mechanic for long ...!   :D

:D :D :D

Only to explain why I posted in "Making Mods": my intention was to make a mod to get "clean" (slightly scratched) transparencies for Bf 109, and I did, working just on those files you mentioned, but then I stumbled on those "non-Galland Hood" windscreens by Greif, that I'm unable to detect where they pick the dirt...

Thanks for your help.

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 04:52:41 AM »

... just checked and I only have the dirty part on the edges of the windscreen:

... but as you can notice, I don't have the Trocken pastilla on the lower right angle of the windscreen, so I suspect I deleted/replaced it in order not to have the S shaped dirty stains ... ;)

Should either be the Bf109A2Aperture.tga texture, or the bf109I5planks.tga ...

Get them here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jw9ysp6uvbavqhl/109_dirty_windscreen_fix.7z/file

Hope this helps ...  ;)

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 12:05:54 PM »

Should either be the Bf109A2Aperture.tga texture, or the bf109I5planks.tga ...

Hope this helps ...  ;)

Complete success!

Not only there are no more stains, but the calcium chloride pellet is still there! :)

Thank you so much! I had checked also those two files (I checked more than one hundreds TGA's) but couldn't see anything (that gray checkerboard background does not help...).

Cheers,
GB

P.S.: FYI, I copied both files you linked into Bf-109G-2 and G-6Early cockpit folders.

Flanker27

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 12:25:07 PM »

you just answered a question iv had for a long time, namely what is the thing on the lower right of a Bf-109s windshield. i always figured it was some sort of vent but had no idea it actually had something in it. Im guessing it was to keep the layered armor glass from fogging up between?

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 12:54:40 PM »

... I am glad that it fixed your problem, Greybeard ...  ;)

Since I mainly fly in the MTO, I don't need the dessicant gel, so I deleted it, all the more since the color changed according to the percentage of dampness it had absorbed, from transparent when it was new to brown when it was soaking from humidity ...  ;)

Here is the dessicant pastilla as seen in DCS Bf109K-4 (but it looks empty to me ...)

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 03:12:48 AM »

you just answered a question iv had for a long time, namely what is the thing on the lower right of a Bf-109s windshield. i always figured it was some sort of vent but had no idea it actually had something in it. Im guessing it was to keep the layered armor glass from fogging up between?

The windshield of the latest models of Bf 109 was a very thick stratified crystal, which alternated glass and plastic able to stop a bullet the size of a rifle, without projecting shards of glass into the cockpit, splinters that remained attached to the plastic layers. Not being vacuum-packed, and being subjected from the outside to low temperatures at high altitudes, the air in it could form condensation, tarnishing it. To avoid this, the desiccant tablet was placed there. Less well known is the fact that it had, among the various layers, also a net of very thin copper wires, electrically heated, to avoid fogging of the surface that faced inside the pilot compartment. In the testimonies of the pilots, they sometimes complained of the reflections of sunlight that this net could give with certain angles, during the flight, and that disturbed the visibility.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 28 queries.