Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Warthog Joystick  (Read 1495 times)

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
Warthog Joystick
« on: December 02, 2019, 03:54:58 AM »

I was wondering if anyone has anything to say about using a Warthog Joystick.

It looks incredibly impressive and I was on the verge of buying one, but was cautioned that it does not have a 'twist' function, meaning you can't control the rudder from the joystick. So I decided against. But I am still wondering what users opinions are. How do you get around not having a twist function? And aside from that, is it worth the price?

henkypenky

• BAT 4.2 Flashpoint & WAW
Re: Warthog Joystick
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 04:29:12 AM »

Hi M8, Warthog is great I think, good, real feeling. I'm using pedals to get around the 'twist' function.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 04:41:47 AM »

Hi M8, Warthog is great I think, good, real feeling. I'm using pedals to get around the 'twist' function.

That I fear is my problem. I really have no way of placing pedals. It's not the cost, compared to a Warthog the price is negligible. But simply no room under my desk which is the only place I can set up my pc and all the attendant wiring and plugs and outlets and so on ...

sniperton

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 06:33:07 AM »

But simply no room under my desk

You're surely more aware of the limits of your workstation than me, so don't take me wrong, but where do you place your feet? I mean, a rudder hardly takes more space than your feet on the floor and can be stored beside the desk or elsewhere when you don't fly. Each time I want to fly, it takes me 2 minutes "to bring my writing desk in flight condition".  :D

henkypenky

• BAT 4.2 Flashpoint & WAW
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 07:04:17 AM »

Its the same here, desk is on the long side of the bureau, cockpit on the short side.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 08:19:48 AM »

You're surely more aware of the limits of your workstation than me, so don't take me wrong, but where do you place your feet?

I have three pcs set up on my desk with one dedicated to Il-2 and map making only. I already get annoyed at all the wires under my desk, despite a few devices being wireless. And apart from that I am surrounded by books and yet more and more books. Let's say that in my 'office' it is quite cramped with 2 people.

Anyway, I do place my feet in front of me, but no stretching out or else i may inadvertently turn something off or dislodge a connection. Happens more than you'd think. Only solution I see is buying another house ... ha ha

Still, the Warthog does intrigue me and while I bought an X52 professional (which has improved my flying skills considerably) a Warthog may be the next upgrade.

sniperton

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 10:42:47 AM »

Anyway, I do place my feet in front of me, but no stretching out or else i may inadvertently turn something off or dislodge a connection. Happens more than you'd think. Only solution I see is buying another house ... ha ha

My solution to this problem was to sit back a bit off the desk, stick and HOTAS being on a sort of keyboard holder sliding forth from below the desk, and this way the rudder could also be placed a bit more forth, not even nearing the usual chaos behind. The only drawback is that I got further away from the display, but it was a fair tradeoff for me as I don't see shit without icons anyway.

BTW, if you consider a Warthog (what I never had), consider one with a stick extension. I've read multiple times that it makes a real difference to have longer travel for your controls.

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 08:12:17 PM »

You are correct the Warthog does not have the twist feature for rudder.  I have the Warthog and Throttle combo, been using it for years.  I use it in conjunction with a Saitek throttle console.  All bolted on to a Playseat (https://www.playseatstore.com/playseat-air-force.html) which I slide in front of the computer when playing and off to the side when not.  Thrustmaster pedals under my desk,  The "footprint" on the floor is roughly 12.5 inches by 12 inches with the top of the pedals at about 7 inches so they don't take up that much room.  I had Saitek rudder pedals before and they took up a lot more floor space.

Ivan-le-Rouge

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 04:52:21 AM »

I purchase a warthog 2 years ago, when my Cougar became inoperant (after 8 years of use).
Warhtog is nice, have a lot of buttons, hat, switchs... but require time to get perfectly set.

Compared to Cougar :
+more precise
+easy to calibrate
+more buttons

-more plastic parts
-less qualitative paint

The price is IMHO a bit high, but this is the case for most specialized joysticks...

Knochenlutscher

• Flying Ass Clown #10
  • Modder
  • aka Segfej
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 02:08:57 AM »

Compared to the 2 Saitek X52 pro I owned before, the pro's are
absolutely zero connecting probs via USB, Il-2 connectivity.
It works out of the box, not like the X52s which tended to
go off when you didn't used the Software or had power supply probs.
More reliable building from the parts, 2 X52 either gave up after 2yrs or broke.
Makes sense to use any kind of Rudders, than you should get max comfort out
of the Warthog.
I never dared about TARGET. Don't have nerves or time doodling around with settings,my sparetime is scarce with work, kids and wife. I can live with the outta box warthog simpleness, working all the way.
So speaking it's a reliable Product I purchased
in 2012, nearing all the Sticks I owned before counted together is doubled by this
worth of purchase.

In future I'll buy myself a extension for the immersion, but only when I have the final desk
solution. I saw the Thrustmaster Pedals, but to me they are too narrowly built, even if they
tend to be way better or what, I preferr the wider Saitek Combat Flight Rudders.
Wiseman : "Did you speak the exact words?" Ash : "Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 25 queries.