Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Thorneycroft Amazon WF/AC6/1/Coles Mk VII, series 2.  (Read 53388 times)

Mission_bug

• Modder
Re: Thorneycroft Amazon WF/AC6/1/Coles Mk VII, series 2.
« Reply #276 on: June 20, 2021, 03:04:24 AM »

Looking great Pete. You were asking (or wondering) some time ago about the big dark screw on the injector body. Been working on dieasel engines in the -90s, I thingk it´s a port for adjusting the timing of the injection of fuel into the cylinders, if I rememeber right.

Hello Flying H, thank you very much for the info, really appreciated. 8)

The engine bay is getting close to completion now thankfully, the exhaust system looks to be the most difficult
to do but the rest should be relatively easier. ;)

These are what I will still need to do after the exhaust, I think this is likely something for the oil level
and there is also a large tank besides it:

Also on this side are a couple of pipes and the angle pieces to hold the engine covers and maybe
a few bits of the wiring on the bulkhead:

Once they are done I will do a little more on the driver side to add a few things there:

With those out of the way we can I think consider it done as far as adding detail, I will not add all the
bits of wire and pipe I can see just enough to fill the spaces, after that it will be any refining  I think
necessary.

I will leave you with this shot, I am trying to replicate the casting side that the exhaust will bolt
on to:

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #277 on: June 30, 2021, 01:48:15 PM »

Hello again guys, the engine exhaust system is now done. :o

This is the part of the build I thought would be a real pain and it did not disappoint. :D

As mentioned previously first up was to try and replicate the casting the exhaust bolts
on to at the side of the engine block:

The pink is the cast part and the circular shapes the recesses for the screw bolt:

Not exactly sure what those are for, nothing new there, they could be some kind of adjusting screw
or maybe just attach that part of the casting to another:

The separate pads are what are welded to the exhaust in order to bolt the exhaust in place:

Six ports altogether:

Mapped and painted, the darker bits are to represent the hole into the engine block:

Here is a photograph close in showing what I am trying to reproduce, the pads have a strengthening piece
and holes to accept the bolts:

Here is the finished assembly mapped and awaiting paint, also done are the plates to attach the stack
to the remaining pipe:

Painted:

The exhaust itself is a rather odd shape that I will fabricate in sections using a existing pipe that will
be re-mapped later:

These pipes were really fiddly, it is hard to get a exact shape because they are bent and twisted in
some areas and there is a flat side to the longer part that is difficult to replicate but I tried:

The injectors had to be adjusted to fit around and through the exhaust, this was really frustrating but
was done now to try and get placement of the pipes somewhere near:

The shape as close as my ability allowed:

Mapping and painting what I had:

I changed the colour of the exhaust to something closer to the photographs, I do not know what the
original colour was, Black or Silver maybe but they very soon deteriorate to rust once in use as the
heat damages the paint:

And finally into game to see what it looked like, I forgot to x-form the exhaust so it was necessary
to replace that again and some other bits that needed adjustment:

Sorry for the length of this update, it has been done in dribs and drabs in between the football and other
things and I had not noticed how many images I had accumulated. o_O

Not much left to do now to finish the build, it has certainly been a long haul but we are getting there. ;)

Take care and be safe.

rogeroger

• Missioneer
« Reply #278 on: July 01, 2021, 08:54:47 PM »

Wow!the detail on that engine is amazing.You really know your way around gmax. I have gmax and I am quite familiar with 3dmax. Unfortunately my 3dmax version only works on xp. I now force myself to work in blender because its free with regular updates.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #279 on: July 02, 2021, 03:04:02 AM »

Glad to know you like my detailing so far rogeroger. 8)

I would not say I know my way around gmax as such, there is much I have not used, however, from watching tutorials by those who do I have found a number of techniques/tools that seem to be relied on more than others and they get used over and again. ;)

Some time ago I installed Blender, sadly I never could really get going with it not sure why, I think it fair to say it is far and away in advance of what gmax offers, however, I seem able to do enough with gmax for IL-2 and actually like the way it works so I am able to do what I need to with it.  I bought a tutorial from a Polish Modeller for the P-40, beautiful model he had made and the Adobe booklet was a amazing piece of work, unfortunately to me it just seemed there was just too much information to take in for my attention span and so it sits on the backup drive awaiting a time I can actually give it the full focus it deserves.

Many years ago I gave up on most of my modding to just focus on building in 3d, hence this overly detailed Thorneycroft, if I ever finish this particular project I might get around to trying Blender again. :o   

Strange that your 3ds max only works on XP, gmax is a stripped down version and so far has continued to work through various updates to Windows 10, I do miss XP, to me I think everything went backward after that, it was far more user friendly, progress I guess but not as I know it. :D

Take care and be safe.

rogeroger

• Missioneer
« Reply #280 on: July 02, 2021, 03:55:45 AM »

3dmax6 is my version, so it is quite old. I initially used blender 2.49 for il2 and then moved to 2.79 for modelling, and exporting with 2.76 because it has a great msh exporter.

Blender 2.46 was the only package that would work for Bob2wov  models so I was forced to learn how to use it.
 They changed the latest blender 2.80 ui, so now its just as confusing as when I first learned to use blender, especially for an old fart like myself. So for now I'll stick to version 2.76/2.79.  It is a pity that gmax has such limited functionality otherwise I would definitely prefer to use it for future projects.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #281 on: July 02, 2021, 05:01:40 AM »

Hello rogeroger, I was saving to buy 3ds max some years ago and then they moved the goal posts, now you can only rent or get a student licence so I was left with only gmax or Blender due to them being free to use, so now many who might wish to learn 3d modelling on that program are unable unless they can find a course close by and they can afford it, last I looked there is nothing near me, Glasgow or Birmingham I think, and as all advertised courses are to degree level and I cannot even find anything that is just some kind of foundation course I am where I am, what there is are online, again degree courses, last I looked the cost was around six thousand pounds, how is anyone supposed to be able to afford training anyhow?

I am now 58 and unemployed due to illness, what chance do I have to learn new skills?

Blender it seems is going to be the only option now left that allows those with no financial support who want to make a start in 3d modelling, irrespective of whether they want to just model anything in general for fun or make stuff for games, as with most things even that is forever altering and it feels like you need to learn it all over again with each successive update, it then requires someone to make new tools so we can all use it. o_O

On top of that as you mention each game out there uses a different type of 3d program or will only accept certain versions of any particular one. ::(

Sorry for bitching. :D

Take care and be safe.

rogeroger

• Missioneer
« Reply #282 on: July 02, 2021, 07:04:21 AM »

Prices are damn ridiculous these days, no wonder some resort to piracy.

I was just looking at Blender reviews and they are up to version 2.93 and it seems the ui has been improved. check the review here:https://develop3d.com/visualisation/blender-2-9-review/
Blender uses a node system that I am not familiar with. I am able to do basic modelling without using them though. I will probably read up on using them one day.  ;D There are stacks of video tutorials and I've always managed to find out stuff using google. I find that 2.79 is a lot more user friendly than older versions and I am now going to give 2.93 a try.
I am now 58 and unemployed due to illness, what chance do I have to learn new skills?
You are never too old to learn new skills. At 58, two years ago I decided to take up classical violin and I turned 60 last month and the quality of my screeching and squawking has definitely improved. :)) If you can do the  amazing modelling that you've done in this thread  you should be able to get going in newer versions of blender. ]thumright[

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #283 on: July 02, 2021, 07:51:49 AM »

I turned 60 last month and the quality of my screeching and squawking has definitely improved. :))

Is that possible?

My Grandfather had one, he used to drive everyone mad with it, thankfully he did not persevere too long. :D  Some things we have to be born to I guess. ;)

I do have a few tutorials lying around on the P.C., I cannot find anything locally in book form, I prefer to sit in the arm chair to read. :D

Like many I like to tinker and just learn that way, the hard way, I have done all kinds of structured training in the past all of it no use to me now but I will some time soon actually sit and read through something on Blender, I have seen some beautiful art work done with it and it is now even becoming the tool of choice even for game makers, thank you for the link, really appreciated. 8)

Take care and be safe.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #284 on: July 04, 2021, 10:55:33 AM »

Hello guys, another little update for the ongoing project. ;)

This is another area I was not sure I actually felt confident to do but finally I had no choice
its time had come. :D

There is a rubber pipe crossing from the engine into the fan shroud and so I began by trying to replicate
the shape of a segment of it first in two parts:

These two shapes were joined together by welding the vertices around each diameter, there is a trick that came
from a tutorial I have seen where you bring both sets of vertices together after attaching the shapes to each other
and then set a gap option as you can see on the right of the image.  When you activate the select button it then
grabs only the vertices right next to each all around the diameter and saves messing with each one in turn, careful
though I have had to do again once or twice in the past because I did not have them aligned correctly:

The original shape was cloned a few times and joined to the rest before I checked the poly limit, ouch,
a bit much just for the pipe and the recycled clips from another part of the build.  I had got each circular
shape smoother than was really necessary:

Going through the process again was tedius but brought things to a more manageable poly count:

Some other parts were as always borrowed from earlier builds to build the overall part as well as adding
a new pipe you will see later.  I am not clear on what the rear of the pipe should look like, does it stop
part way along or carry on farther along is difficult to see so I left it as you see:

While looking through my references to find something to indicate where the pipe goes I was finally able to
answer, at least I think so, a question asked earlier about company logos on the engine and there is a plaque
on the upper engine that previously I could not see as clearly but when I zoomed in I think it fair to say that
spells Thorneycroft:

The word seems to have stylized 'T' at either end which I earlier thought was actually part of the border
on the plaque.

Also, thanks to a note from Mike (Zflyer) who mentioned the plugs with square drive holes in them were
actually left over from the moulding process and used to help the liquid cast flow more easily following which
they would be threaded and the plug added, apparently they tend to leak a lot in service though. :o

Anyway, on we go. :D

The pipe when you look at in the photographs moves steadily upwards and sidewards, difficult to replicate
just by moving vertices so I used the FFD modifier to at least give me something close and then further
developed the shape by grabbing vertices or groups of polygons:

And finally, the finished part after mapping and painting the new meshes:

There is a similar pipe I made earlier in the build that should have been like this but to add it into that earlier
build would take the poly level overboard and necessitate breaking that into two items so for now I have a
spare ready in case I eventually go that way.

I think the hardest shapes have now been done so it is a matter now of building the few remaining items
in the engine bay to finish the actual build. 8)

Take care and be safe.

rogeroger

• Missioneer
« Reply #285 on: July 06, 2021, 08:27:37 PM »

Nice work! ]thumright[

vonofterdingen

• Missioneer
« Reply #286 on: July 06, 2021, 10:44:37 PM »

Just wanted to take a moment Pete and tell you that I am really enjoying this thread. What a journey you have taken us on!

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #287 on: July 07, 2021, 04:45:43 AM »

Hello guys, glad you like things so far. 8)

It has dragged on for much longer than I imagined it would when I started but I wanted to let you
guys see the build as I went along to hopefully learn from my mistakes but also to have a chance
for those with much more experience than me to post in if they felt I had done things wrong and help
answer questions from me as well as others who wanted to try 3d modelling, that way we all benefit. ;)

Here is the pipe installed, I forgot this in the last post:

Most of the major parts are done so now I will just add the few things that still need attention, there is a pipe
that comes out of the shroud, but cannot I find where it goes, I looked at all the images available to me but not
a clue so eventually I decided to tuck the end into the chassis frame until information surfaces.

With the pipe made it was necessary to cut a hole into the shroud, Boolean method again after making a shape, again,
I cannot see exactly where in the fan shroud it is from so can only do what I see:

The pipe mapped, as you can see I am about out of space on the texture:

The pipe was eventually orientated to fit along the bottom:

With the mapping for the pipe moved to a space for final colouring the fixing to hold the pipe is under
construction:

Take care and be safe.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 32   Go Up

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 25 queries.